PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Titan

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-03-2007, 02:07 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Hero
Carrier: Sprint

kinextions is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Send a message via Yahoo to kinextions
Do I need a 6800?

Here is my dilema.
I love the 6700 but i dont know if I use all the features.

I use the phone for the modem capabilites for my laptop. I surf the web and check my emails and text.
I DONT use the WORD or EXCEL.

I really like knowing i can use lots of features but I miss having a phone i can put in my pocket.

so my question is....what type of phone would best suite me?
Old 05-03-2007, 03:53 PM
Moderator/WMExperts Staff
Pocket PC: Pure, TP2, Snap, Ozone, Intrepid,Treo Pro

Malatesta is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMalatesta is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMalatesta is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMalatesta is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMalatesta is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMalatesta is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMalatesta is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMalatesta is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMalatesta is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMalatesta is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMalatesta is still contributing even after becoming a VIP
Why not just get a Q with PDAnet (for your modem)? Just pay the one-time $34 and get unlimited internet (you'll need to do the same with the 6800).

I found the smartphone platform more than adequete for everyday functions.

+ if you do need Office, we just got the WM6 Office apps working on WM5
Old 05-03-2007, 09:44 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Threadstarter

kinextions is a n00b
i get unlimited now with sprint dont i?

and i think i pay only 20.

whats so special about the Q and what is PDAnet?
Old 05-03-2007, 10:31 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Palm Pre

B18DelSolT is keeping up the good workB18DelSolT is keeping up the good work
Send a message via AIM to B18DelSolT Send a message via MSN to B18DelSolT Send a message via Yahoo to B18DelSolT
Quote:
Originally Posted by kinextions
i get unlimited now with sprint dont i?

and i think i pay only 20.

whats so special about the Q and what is PDAnet?
PDAnet is just software to connect the pc and your phone to use internet tethering. and the Q is just a another phone that has basically everything that you need for just a fraction of the price.
Old 05-04-2007, 10:57 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Threadstarter

kinextions is a n00b
With the 6700 i have now i can connect to the internet using the phone as a modem.
is there a phone that can be used at faster speeds. I think im connecting with 230.4 Kbps with the phone as a modem.....is that fast or is there a faster connection using a different phone.
Old 05-04-2007, 01:18 PM
Moderator/WMExperts Staff
Pocket PC: Pure, TP2, Snap, Ozone, Intrepid,Treo Pro

Malatesta is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMalatesta is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMalatesta is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMalatesta is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMalatesta is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMalatesta is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMalatesta is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMalatesta is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMalatesta is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMalatesta is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMalatesta is still contributing even after becoming a VIP
Quote:
With the 6700 i have now i can connect to the internet using the phone as a modem.
is there a phone that can be used at faster speeds. I think im connecting with 230.4 Kbps with the phone as a modem.....is that fast or is there a faster connection using a different phone.
They are all EvDO phones so it just depends on your connection/signal.

With the Q I get between 400-800kbps with bursts near 1mb. Downloads are a steady 120kbps.

Since the 6800 is suppose to either have or get EvDO RevA it will get slightly faster download speeds than all other devices and have nearly 5x faster upload speeds.

So once PDANet is compatible with the 6800, that will be the fastest device to tether with.
Old 05-04-2007, 08:21 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro
Carrier: Sprint-Nextel

UTSAFTW is a n00b
Quote:
That is what Windows reports you being connected at, but your internet connection is probably faster than that.

A site I like to do speed tests at is: http://www.speakeasy.net/speedtest

Select the city closest to you, sit back and wait for the final results. The download speed in Ev-DO territory should be at least 300-400kbits/sec downn (I usually get 600-800kbits down) and should be between 40-80 kbits/up (although, sometimes when I have tethered in the past, my upload has been approximately 20kbits up).
Old 05-04-2007, 10:49 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Threadstarter

kinextions is a n00b
Last Result:
Download Speed: 579 kbps (72.4 KB/sec transfer rate)
Upload Speed: 62 kbps (7.8 KB/sec transfer rate)

Here are my resuts for the link above......is this a good speed using a phone? do new phones have better connections....im currently using the sprint 6700
Old 05-05-2007, 10:11 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: TP

sledgie is a n00b
I'm not trying to sound like a jerk, but if you read the above posts you would notice that your download speeds are above average and quite speedy. your upload could be better but theres nothing you can do about that other than signal, and even then with a "perfect" signal it might not be that much better.

I'm pretty sure that most smartphones that have evdo are going to be in the same range of speed (give or take a few Kbps) at the same location and with same signal, so *right now* theres nothing to worry about since the newer technology *hasn't been released yet* in phones. so don't think that by getting a different phone such as the Q or treo etc. will increase your speed.

plain and simple.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Titan