PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Titan

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-26-2008, 06:47 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: Touch Pro 2
Carrier: Sprint

x10guy is halfway to VIP status based on repx10guy is halfway to VIP status based on repx10guy is halfway to VIP status based on repx10guy is halfway to VIP status based on repx10guy is halfway to VIP status based on repx10guy is halfway to VIP status based on repx10guy is halfway to VIP status based on repx10guy is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: Android for Mogul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itachi27 View Post
ok im really new to all this smart phone stuff,what is an android...its purpose and uses?...do i need it? or do i want it?
Android is a new Mobile operating system (owned by Google) that is based on Linux. It recently made a big splash with T-Mobile coming out with the first handset based on Android, called the G1.

Android has been ported over to Windows Mobile devices but it's not complete. It's up to you if you want to check it out but not all functions are supported.
Old 10-27-2008, 09:31 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: HTC Mogul

DiGiTY is a n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by EtherealRemnant View Post
None of the above.

HaRET is a low-level bootloader... it knocks WinMo entirely out of RAM and boots up Android like if it was a linux live CD.
so it's not yet ROM, but not exactly a program... more like ROM-like? ...and that's why it doesn't fully function and doesn't run smoothly? ...or is it because the Mogul is inferior hardware-wise to the G1?

so if I do install Android on my Mogul, it won't erase my WM installation or data and I can always get back to my WM?
Old 10-27-2008, 09:43 PM
N00b
Pocket PC: Touch Pro

unvivid is becoming a great contributor
Send a message via AIM to unvivid

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiGiTY View Post
so it's not yet ROM, but not exactly a program... more like ROM-like? ...and that's why it doesn't fully function and doesn't run smoothly? ...or is it because the Mogul is inferior hardware-wise to the G1?

so if I do install Android on my Mogul, it won't erase my WM installation or data and I can always get back to my WM?
It's not a ROM, you can consider Haret a bootloader. It will not replace WM, and to get back to WM you just need to soft reset your device (soft reset button, pull batt etc)

The lack of smoothness is because of the lack of drivers/optimization for the Mogul, Not necessarily a hardware deficiency. From what I've read the specs are fairly close.

Basically, you don't really have anything to lose from trying it. It's definitely not ready to run full time. But it's definitely worth a look. Barring an absolute catastrophe (or yourself running some risqué commands), you don't have to worry about anything.
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 10-28-2008, 04:14 AM
Lurker

DiGiTY is a n00b

sweet, thanx again.

do you think I could run apps I write on it?
Old 10-28-2008, 07:57 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Imagio
Carrier: Iusacell Mexico

megapinky is becoming a PPCGeeks regularmegapinky is becoming a PPCGeeks regularmegapinky is becoming a PPCGeeks regularmegapinky is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by fildrigar View Post
Push 'Shift' to back out of any screen. You can get the browser to work if you start up an application that uses data before you start android. The data connection should stay open long enough for you to start using it under android.

Android on the mogul isn't quite ready for prime time, yet. I'm hoping that now that the open source is released we can get up to functionality quickly. First thing we need is to have the keyboard working fully.

Here is the link: ( http://it029000.massey.ac.nz/vogue/ ) There are also several threads here in the forums about it. ( The one to look for is 32 + pages long, started back in May or June ) It runs completely from the SD card, and doesn't change anything in memory at all. It's not really 'installed' per se, it just runs in ram from the SD card. The only way to quit it once you've started is to soft reset. Right now, it is really not that useable. Yes, you can browse the web, use SMS, make phone calls, etc. But, you can't save anything, so you have to retype everything everytime. I'm sure we aren't that far away from a full, good implementation of it. ( Crosses fingers. )

I have it installed on my phone mostly for the geek cred.
how can you make a call or answare it? which button?

thx
Old 10-29-2008, 09:51 AM
Lurker

bpaskiewicz is a n00b

To someone who has got Android up and running on a mogul...

What ROM are you using? Haret always stops after a while then I have to pull out the batt to reset it.
Old 11-07-2008, 02:45 PM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: Vintercept™
Carrier: Sprint SERO500 & Virgin Mobile

one80oneday is halfway to VIP status based on repone80oneday is halfway to VIP status based on repone80oneday is halfway to VIP status based on repone80oneday is halfway to VIP status based on repone80oneday is halfway to VIP status based on repone80oneday is halfway to VIP status based on repone80oneday is halfway to VIP status based on repone80oneday is halfway to VIP status based on repone80oneday is halfway to VIP status based on repone80oneday is halfway to VIP status based on repone80oneday is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Send a message via Yahoo to one80oneday

Where can I find the latest info about making an Android ROM for the HTC Mogul? Also I would like to help if there is anything I can do
Old 11-09-2008, 10:51 AM
morsus mihi
Pocket PC: iPhone 4
Carrier: AT&T

schettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIP
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpaskiewicz View Post
To someone who has got Android up and running on a mogul...

What ROM are you using? Haret always stops after a while then I have to pull out the batt to reset it.
I just used the one bundled with the vogue android build, on a stock Sprint wm6.1 rom, running off a 4gb sdhc card. No problems at all.
Old 11-09-2008, 01:33 PM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: Vintercept™
Carrier: Sprint SERO500 & Virgin Mobile

one80oneday is halfway to VIP status based on repone80oneday is halfway to VIP status based on repone80oneday is halfway to VIP status based on repone80oneday is halfway to VIP status based on repone80oneday is halfway to VIP status based on repone80oneday is halfway to VIP status based on repone80oneday is halfway to VIP status based on repone80oneday is halfway to VIP status based on repone80oneday is halfway to VIP status based on repone80oneday is halfway to VIP status based on repone80oneday is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Send a message via Yahoo to one80oneday

I have nueROM3pre3 running. The first time I tried it kept failing but then I used my old 512 micro sd card, deleted everything, then placed all the files directly on it and it worked. Keyboard, internet, and calls worked fine but the touch screen is really hard to use. I mean it has bugs but if I could erase WM and just run Android then I could deal with the bugs. Android only seems to use about 15mb of RAM
Old 11-12-2008, 12:49 AM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: HTC Evo 3D

princem131 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularprincem131 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularprincem131 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularprincem131 is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to princem131 Send a message via Yahoo to princem131

I agree I got Andriod running on my Mogul and it is very impressive even in its buggy state. I cant wait to see how it runs when its fully functional. I wish I could do more with mine but I dont have service on my Mogul anymore since I got the Touch Pro. I really cant wait to load it on there once they get that going. What version of Andriod are you all running on your Mogul's because I was having trouble downloading some of the files? The one I have none of the buttons seem to work except the OK and windows keys on the keyboard, so I have to keep it open to use Android. Good work guys I'd love to help in any way I can. Can't wait to get Andriod on my SERO plan!
I

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Titan