PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Titan
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-17-2008, 11:48 AM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: rooted DroidX/leaked 2.2
Carrier: Verizon

jmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the community
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
available memory question??

I am wondering how just low your available memory has to drop before it drastically affects the operation of any WM system??

I have two identical Verizon XV6800's (HTC Titan). Since I will never use any service but Verizon after trying all the others at one time or another, short of doing an ESN clone which is not as easy as it used to be I am stuck with Verizon's crappy phone selection (talk about a catch22 situation).

That being the case, I have spent an AWFUL long time tweaking/flashing/customizing etc. these two systems as best I can. In my everyday work phone (which absolutely 100% HAS to work), I am running dcd's 3.2.6 ROM which has been really impressive.

In the other phone, I am running nue3 pre3 which is really amazing in a lot of ways but not quite as stable for me (it did a hard reset at bootup all by itself yesterday). I run a ton of stuff on start-up that sucks available memory, but I like the way the stuff works so I live with the lower mem readings. Probably the biggest offender in that case is MS Voice Command, but after researching the heck out of it & FINALLY get it to work 100% (it works 100% from my S9 BT headset, announces incoming calls, reads me my appointments etc etc etc etc)I plan on keeping it. I also run Wisbar 3 adv for all of its features. I have both Ultimate Launcher with HTC Home & Mobile Shell with rumball's Diamond theme running together at all times.

I have EXACTLY the same programs/apps/tweaks (& I have an awful lot of programs) etc. installed in both setups so I could fairly compare the two ROM's. If I run the nue setup in high mem mode with the camera disabled, it boots with 6-8 more MB of available memory. If I boot the nue setup in low mem mode, the two setups show almost exactly the same available memory.

I would think the extra mem available in the nue setup would make quite a noticeable difference in the operation of the two setups, but that doesn't seem to be the case at all. I have had the dcd running just fine at a time when I checked the available mem & it was showing as little as 3.2MB. The thing just keeps running along & doesn't freeze up & if it is any slower it is not enough to notice.

The one & only difference I have ever seen between the two setups is Google Navigator will refuse to startup if the available mem is below around 11-12 MB. If I want to start GN in the dcd setup, I almost always have to soft reset it first (Oxios & mem-maid won't free up enough to let it startup). The nue setup will usually allow it to start with no problem (but even that is not 100%). GN is such a buggy POS that I rarely use it anyway, but it is a good memory test.

~John
Old 10-17-2008, 11:59 AM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: Evotastic
Carrier: Sprint

scheel78 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularscheel78 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularscheel78 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularscheel78 is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Re: available memory question??

I'm running 3.2.6 on my 6800. With all my programs installed I have about 22mb available after soft reset. Everything runs fine until I get down 12-14mb. Then things start to run buggy and I soft reset.
Old 10-17-2008, 12:11 PM
Eat Static
Pocket PC: Touch Pro 2

popdog54 is a VIPpopdog54 is a VIPpopdog54 is a VIPpopdog54 is a VIPpopdog54 is a VIPpopdog54 is a VIPpopdog54 is a VIPpopdog54 is a VIPpopdog54 is a VIPpopdog54 is a VIPpopdog54 is a VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by scheel78 View Post
I'm running 3.2.6 on my 6800. With all my programs installed I have about 22mb available after soft reset. Everything runs fine until I get down 12-14mb. Then things start to run buggy and I soft reset.
That doesn't sound right. I'm running 3.2.6 and like the OP I can usually get down to 3-4mb with no problems. Things run a little slower, that's it.
Old 10-17-2008, 12:13 PM
VIP & Proud Member of CBM
Pocket PC: Touch Pro 2-Sprint, HTC Evo Fully Rooted-Sprint
Carrier: Sprint Nextel

nxtech3 is halfway to VIP status based on repnxtech3 is halfway to VIP status based on repnxtech3 is halfway to VIP status based on repnxtech3 is halfway to VIP status based on repnxtech3 is halfway to VIP status based on repnxtech3 is halfway to VIP status based on repnxtech3 is halfway to VIP status based on repnxtech3 is halfway to VIP status based on repnxtech3 is halfway to VIP status based on repnxtech3 is halfway to VIP status based on rep

when i had my mogul running No2Chem 5060 build, i could get down to 3MB without any adverse effects. Even had the memory down to 1MB with PIE running but gave an error after a few minutes of surfing.

"I pity tha fool... that don't press !"
Old 10-17-2008, 06:12 PM
VIP Member
Threadstarter

jmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the community

Well, as much as I love the nue3 ROM, it's not getting installed in the work phone at this time.

My nue setup has now hard reset itself twice in the last two days all by itself after hanging on a soft reset.

~John
Old 10-17-2008, 06:20 PM
╚════════════════╝
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro 2 & HTC Hero

jethro_static is still contributing even after becoming a VIPjethro_static is still contributing even after becoming a VIPjethro_static is still contributing even after becoming a VIPjethro_static is still contributing even after becoming a VIPjethro_static is still contributing even after becoming a VIPjethro_static is still contributing even after becoming a VIPjethro_static is still contributing even after becoming a VIPjethro_static is still contributing even after becoming a VIPjethro_static is still contributing even after becoming a VIPjethro_static is still contributing even after becoming a VIPjethro_static is still contributing even after becoming a VIP
Send a message via Yahoo to jethro_static

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmorton10 View Post
Well, as much as I love the nue3 ROM, it's not getting installed in the work phone at this time.

My nue setup has now hard reset itself twice in the last two days all by itself after hanging on a soft reset.

~John
There is something wrong with ur phone.

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=15833021835
Old 10-17-2008, 06:51 PM
VIP Member
Threadstarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jethro_static View Post
There is something wrong with ur phone.
That may be, but I doubt it.

I flashed it today with dcd 3.2.6 & I am posting this from it. I will leave it running this setup for a while & see what happens.

~John
Old 10-19-2008, 09:49 AM
VIP Member
Threadstarter

Well, I am back on nue again (the phone ran perfectly with dcd's ROM, just as I suspected).

I have seen reports from other people with the exact same problem running nue3 so it is definitely is not a hardware problem. Apparently, it is better to switch from high mem to low mem directly from the kernel as opposed to clicking the camera & then saying OK when it asks if you want to reboot in low mem mode.

~John
Old 10-19-2008, 10:25 AM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: Sprint Touch Pro 2

JimSmith94 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularJimSmith94 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularJimSmith94 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularJimSmith94 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularJimSmith94 is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

My Sprint Titan has been running well with nueROM3, except that it locks up when I start the camera in high memory mode. It doesn't ask to reboot, and honestly, I didn't know it was supposed to.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Titan