PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Titan
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-21-2008, 05:44 PM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: Touch Pro 2
Carrier: Sprint

digiblur is becoming a PPCGeeks regulardigiblur is becoming a PPCGeeks regulardigiblur is becoming a PPCGeeks regulardigiblur is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Legality of changing PRL?

Before I do anything or post about my findings I'd like to know the legalities of changing information in PRL.

Let me explain my scenario. I'm in one of those odd markets where Sprint does not provide native EVDO coverage. The EVDO actually comes from the cellular band from Alltel. The typical user would never notice it since it shows the Sprint banner on the screen but yet you have the Ev icon. See this PRL interpretation and you'll see what I'm talking about:

04159 PCS -- Sprint PCS
SCAN 25A 200A 50A 1175C 825F 75A 175A 250A
EV-DO CLR/73A CLR/201A CLR/510B CLR/594B CLR/468B CLR/589B CLR/157A PCS/175A CLR/199A CLR/466B PCS/775E

Watching the debug screen I can see the phone checking the native Sprint channels for EVDO service since I would assume it want to use theirs first then it will go back, check the CLR channels and rest again on the active one.

My plan was to remove the extra channels that are not used in this area, therefore the phone wouldn't waste time and battery searching for something that isn't there. Of course when I would go out of town I would load the stock PRL back on.

Is there anything wrong with doing this? I'm not forcing my phone to roam on something that I shouldn't.
Old 11-22-2008, 10:51 AM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: XV6800
Carrier: VZW

weedahoe is halfway to VIP status based on repweedahoe is halfway to VIP status based on repweedahoe is halfway to VIP status based on repweedahoe is halfway to VIP status based on repweedahoe is halfway to VIP status based on repweedahoe is halfway to VIP status based on repweedahoe is halfway to VIP status based on repweedahoe is halfway to VIP status based on repweedahoe is halfway to VIP status based on repweedahoe is halfway to VIP status based on repweedahoe is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Send a message via AIM to weedahoe Send a message via MSN to weedahoe Send a message via Yahoo to weedahoe
Re: Legality of changing PRL?

I dont see anything wrong with changing the PRL. All it is supposed to be is instructions to tell the phone will towers to connect to is an order based on strength and location i think.
Old 11-22-2008, 12:42 PM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: Mogul and Touch Pro

crazychef is becoming a PPCGeeks regularcrazychef is becoming a PPCGeeks regularcrazychef is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Send a message via MSN to crazychef Send a message via Skype™ to crazychef

your fine with this one.. the fed law refers to esn and tethering as the 2 things that r illegal
Old 11-23-2008, 09:10 PM
I see you have a PPC.
Pocket PC: Droid
Carrier: Borged Alltel

MrObvious is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMrObvious is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMrObvious is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMrObvious is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMrObvious is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMrObvious is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMrObvious is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMrObvious is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMrObvious is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMrObvious is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMrObvious is still contributing even after becoming a VIP

Tethering is illegal? I'm gonna call BS on that one.

As far as the PRL the only problem may be roaming charges.
Old 11-24-2008, 02:16 AM
Jedi Master
Pocket PC: Touch Pro2

Darkjedi is halfway to VIP status based on repDarkjedi is halfway to VIP status based on repDarkjedi is halfway to VIP status based on repDarkjedi is halfway to VIP status based on repDarkjedi is halfway to VIP status based on repDarkjedi is halfway to VIP status based on repDarkjedi is halfway to VIP status based on repDarkjedi is halfway to VIP status based on rep

tethering is not illegal, but cloning ESNs is. Changing PRL should be fine as well. Up until the last ROM revision for the Sprint Mogul, you could actually choose to prefer roaming towers over your own carrier towers, which would've made your PRL edits unnecessary.
Old 11-24-2008, 07:04 AM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: XV6800
Carrier: VZW

weedahoe is halfway to VIP status based on repweedahoe is halfway to VIP status based on repweedahoe is halfway to VIP status based on repweedahoe is halfway to VIP status based on repweedahoe is halfway to VIP status based on repweedahoe is halfway to VIP status based on repweedahoe is halfway to VIP status based on repweedahoe is halfway to VIP status based on repweedahoe is halfway to VIP status based on repweedahoe is halfway to VIP status based on repweedahoe is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Send a message via AIM to weedahoe Send a message via MSN to weedahoe Send a message via Yahoo to weedahoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrObvious View Post
Tethering is illegal? I'm gonna call BS on that one.

As far as the PRL the only problem may be roaming charges.
As far as I know, you are the third person to call BS in 3 different posts from CrazyChef. Seems someone needs to ask more Qs and answer less Qs.

Old 11-24-2008, 10:20 AM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: Touch Pro 2
Threadstarter

digiblur is becoming a PPCGeeks regulardigiblur is becoming a PPCGeeks regulardigiblur is becoming a PPCGeeks regulardigiblur is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkjedi007 View Post
tethering is not illegal, but cloning ESNs is. Changing PRL should be fine as well. Up until the last ROM revision for the Sprint Mogul, you could actually choose to prefer roaming towers over your own carrier towers, which would've made your PRL edits unnecessary.
A few edits to the registry and that feature is back.

Well I did edit my PRL to only use the EVDO cellular channel that is in use in my area. So far I've noticed a bit better battery life during the day. The big thing I have noticed is my data connection doesn't stall sometimes due to it checking the other channels.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Titan