PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Titan
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-20-2008, 08:09 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: HTC Mogul 6800

mherren is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Giving Back - Here's How To Assign Ringtones

First off, I use the Sprint Mogul, the PPC-6800. I use the newest 3.35.XXXX ROM. I use ringtones that are .mp3 files that I make myself off of my own collection. While I don't download ringtones from Sprint's music store, I see no reason why this wouln't work.

The location of the sound file doesn't seem to matter. I stick mine the the My Documents folder of my phone and all ringtones are picked up fine.

Of course, everyone knows how to choose the one main ringtone. To choose a specific ringtone, you need to create a contact (don't forget the area code!) for the person you want to customize the ringtone for. Then on the contacts screen, highlight and select the contact you want to create a ringtone for. Select Menu, then Edit. About halfway down the screen, you will see a field for Ringtone. Next to this is a drop down menu of all the available ringtones on your phone to select for that phone number. Viola!

Have fun!
This post has been thanked 2 times.
Old 07-20-2008, 08:12 PM
╚════════════════╝
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro 2 & HTC Hero
Carrier: Sprint

jethro_static is still contributing even after becoming a VIPjethro_static is still contributing even after becoming a VIPjethro_static is still contributing even after becoming a VIPjethro_static is still contributing even after becoming a VIPjethro_static is still contributing even after becoming a VIPjethro_static is still contributing even after becoming a VIPjethro_static is still contributing even after becoming a VIPjethro_static is still contributing even after becoming a VIPjethro_static is still contributing even after becoming a VIPjethro_static is still contributing even after becoming a VIPjethro_static is still contributing even after becoming a VIP
Send a message via Yahoo to jethro_static
Re: Giving Back - Here's How To Assign Ringtones

So all ur mp3 ringtones start from the beginning of the song? what if the sound I like to put is the chorus? or somewhere in the middle of the song?
Old 07-20-2008, 08:17 PM
Jedi Master
Pocket PC: Touch Pro2

Darkjedi is halfway to VIP status based on repDarkjedi is halfway to VIP status based on repDarkjedi is halfway to VIP status based on repDarkjedi is halfway to VIP status based on repDarkjedi is halfway to VIP status based on repDarkjedi is halfway to VIP status based on repDarkjedi is halfway to VIP status based on repDarkjedi is halfway to VIP status based on rep

Also, it seems that the best length for a ringtone is ~20 seconds as that is about how long it takes for the call to go to voicemail. I use the Arrested Development theme as a ring tone that lasts about 17 seconds. It actually loops but only plays about half a second the 2nd time before it goes to voicemail. Since the theme isn't just a repeating sound, it's helpful to know when the call is just about to go to voicemail as you fumble through your pockets trying to answer the call in time. hahah.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jethro_static View Post
So all ur mp3 ringtones start from the beginning of the song? what if the sound I like to put is the chorus? or somewhere in the middle of the song?
You can use programs like Audacity (http://audacity.sourceforge.net/) to edit your ringtones down to size, or use only the portion of the song that you want, as it supposedly takes longer to load the file the larger it is. I've also heard that applying a Low Pass Filter helps increase the clarity of the ring tone.
Old 07-20-2008, 08:22 PM
╚════════════════╝

jethro_static is still contributing even after becoming a VIPjethro_static is still contributing even after becoming a VIPjethro_static is still contributing even after becoming a VIPjethro_static is still contributing even after becoming a VIPjethro_static is still contributing even after becoming a VIPjethro_static is still contributing even after becoming a VIPjethro_static is still contributing even after becoming a VIPjethro_static is still contributing even after becoming a VIPjethro_static is still contributing even after becoming a VIPjethro_static is still contributing even after becoming a VIPjethro_static is still contributing even after becoming a VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkjedi007 View Post
Also, it seems that the best length for a ringtone is ~20 seconds as that is about how long it takes for the call to go to voicemail. I use the Arrested Development theme as a ring tone that lasts about 17 seconds. It actually loops but only plays about half a second the 2nd time before it goes to voicemail. Since the theme isn't just a repeating sound, it's helpful to know when the call is just about to go to voicemail as you fumble through your pockets trying to answer the call in time. hahah.

You can use programs like Audacity (http://audacity.sourceforge.net/) to edit your ringtones down to size, or use only the portion of the song that you want, as it supposedly takes longer to load the file the larger it is. I've also heard that applying a Low Pass Filter helps increase the clarity of the ring tone.
Yo I am already making my own ringtones eversince my very first cellphone when I was a teen. I already know how. I only question his method.
Old 07-20-2008, 08:31 PM
Lurker
Threadstarter

mherren is a n00b

jethro -

I use various online and software programs to trim my mp3's to something that is less than 30 seconds. I wish I could tell you the website I use or the program I use, but it really depends upond the day. Today I used a website called http://makeownringtone.com/ that let me upload my ringtone and trim it where I wanted the ringtone to be - the beginning, middle, or end. I always tend to shy away from downloading programs to my computer because I always seem to pick the ones with the trials periods!
Old 07-20-2008, 08:35 PM
╚════════════════╝

Quote:
Originally Posted by mherren View Post
jethro -

I use various online and software programs to trim my mp3's to something that is less than 30 seconds. I wish I could tell you the website I use or the program I use, but it really depends upond the day. Today I used a website called http://makeownringtone.com/ that let me upload my ringtone and trim it where I wanted the ringtone to be - the beginning, middle, or end. I always tend to shy away from downloading programs to my computer because I always seem to pick the ones with the trials periods!
I already said it. I do not need to know how to make ringtones because I already know how. I been making ringtones for years. My question is for the method U said on the first post.
Old 07-20-2008, 08:45 PM
SuperNoob
Pocket PC: iPhone 5s
Carrier: TMobile

rstoyguy can't get a higher reputation levelrstoyguy can't get a higher reputation levelrstoyguy can't get a higher reputation levelrstoyguy can't get a higher reputation levelrstoyguy can't get a higher reputation levelrstoyguy can't get a higher reputation levelrstoyguy can't get a higher reputation levelrstoyguy can't get a higher reputation levelrstoyguy can't get a higher reputation levelrstoyguy can't get a higher reputation levelrstoyguy can't get a higher reputation level

Thank you for giving back to the community! I and other users really appreciate it!!!

I just have one clarification on your first post. Windows will by default look for RingTones in the following locations:
\Windows
\My Documents

...and WM6.x + Windows also looks in...

\Windows\Rings
\My Documents\My Ringtones

Unless otherwise noted in the registry...

This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 07-20-2008, 08:47 PM
Lovin some Droid!!!!
Pocket PC: HTC Thunderbolt
Carrier: VZW

Reef48 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPReef48 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPReef48 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPReef48 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPReef48 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPReef48 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPReef48 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPReef48 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPReef48 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPReef48 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPReef48 is still contributing even after becoming a VIP
Send a message via Yahoo to Reef48

The easiest way to trim mp3's from your phone is to use HTC mp3 trimmer. It works on most ppc's with qvga screen's. It allows you to pick the starting point and ending point. It's simple to use and its free. Here is the one i use, which has the diamond theme. Also i hav e a folder on my storage card labeled My Ringtones, which my touch finds them without storing them on my device. Saves alot of memory.
Attached Files
File Type: zip HTC Diamond MP3 Trimmer.cab.zip (182.6 KB, 57 views) Click for barcode!

Last edited by Reef48; 07-20-2008 at 08:51 PM.
This post has been thanked 2 times.
Old 07-20-2008, 08:53 PM
Lurker
Threadstarter

mherren is a n00b

Jethro -

Using my method described at the top, when you assign a ringtone to a contact, the rintone will play from start to finish. Of course, if you have designed your ringtone to start at the middle of the song, that's where it will start when you phone starts ringing.

I hope I answered your question.
Old 07-20-2008, 08:58 PM
╚════════════════╝

Quote:
Originally Posted by mherren View Post
Jethro -

Using my method described at the top, when you assign a ringtone to a contact, the rintone will play from start to finish. Of course, if you have designed your ringtone to start at the middle of the song, that's where it will start when you phone starts ringing.

I hope I answered your question.
Fair enough. Now maybe U'll know why ppcgeeks do not usually use this method.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Titan