PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Titan
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-03-2008, 11:25 PM
N00b
Carrier: Verizon

maddog241 is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
strange reboot problem

Greetings to all...
I recently had to replace my original HTC battery that came with my XV-6800. I also have a standard Seidio battery and charger which I use. I use the Seidio charger to charge whichever battery happens to be the spare at the moment and I swap them as needed. Last night when I pulled the dying Seidio battery out and put the stock HTC battery in, each time I slid the keyboard open or closed, the phone would shut off and reboot. I put the dying Seidio battery back in and the phone was fine. As soon as I put the HTC battery back in, the problem occurred.

So, the HTC battery is bad???? That was my first thought....But maybe not. Today after the HTC battery was in overnight, I can not reproduce the problem. The battery is at 64% currently and is showing 3.871 V. as reported by Batti 2.4. Last night it was 100% and 4.4V.

I was wondering if anyone knew of the voltage tolerance + or - from the 3.7 V the batteries are rated? Could the battery have been overcharged by the Seidio charger?

Has anyone else seen or heard of this problem?
Old 10-03-2008, 11:48 PM
WP Heavy Rot Sloth
Pocket PC: Mogul, Touch Pro 1&2, Evo, PhotonQ
Carrier: Sprint

shaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIPshaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIPshaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIPshaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIPshaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIPshaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIPshaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIPshaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIPshaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIPshaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIPshaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIP
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Re: strange reboot problem

well there's alot that comes into play, but if it doesn't happen again, just chalk it up to a charging glitch, maybe the battery's internal meter did/didn't get reset, whichever way you look at it..

funny how I keep hearing reports of trouble with seidio... makes me wonder..

edit; forgot to mention that you may want to clean the contacts.
Old 10-04-2008, 12:10 AM
N00b
Threadstarter

maddog241 is a n00b

I appreciate your reply. It seems the OEM HTC battery is the one with the issue. I am using a Seidio charger however.... what bad things are you aware of with Seidio?
Old 10-04-2008, 12:25 AM
WP Heavy Rot Sloth
Pocket PC: Mogul, Touch Pro 1&2, Evo, PhotonQ

shaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIPshaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIPshaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIPshaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIPshaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIPshaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIPshaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIPshaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIPshaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIPshaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIPshaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIP
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)

I think hibby had a problem with one, just inside the warranty so they replaced it. I give them props for good c/s but I'm not sure it's all in a name...

is the sedio battery maybe just a hair bigger (longer) maybe it pushed in the phone's spring contacts and now it's a little looser with the oem? just a thought, because my generic 2800mah battery is a bit shorter and in one of my phones it will reboot if I hit it just right, but that's the phone that's fallen many-many times. the other phone I can't get it to happen.
Old 10-04-2008, 12:29 AM
N00b
Threadstarter

maddog241 is a n00b

That's an interesting thought....but the problem only happened when I first put the OEM battery in after a fresh charge in the Seidio charger. After it was on overnight...no more problem. That is why I was wondering about the voltage tolerances. I was wondering if the OEM battery was getting overcharged????
Old 10-04-2008, 11:36 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Touch Pro II / HTC T7380, HTC EVO

gator2k83 knows their stuffgator2k83 knows their stuffgator2k83 knows their stuffgator2k83 knows their stuffgator2k83 knows their stuffgator2k83 knows their stuff
Send a message via AIM to gator2k83 Send a message via MSN to gator2k83 Send a message via Yahoo to gator2k83

I had the same issue with both of my stock batteries if i shut the keyboard 2 fast it would shut the mogul off completely. sometimes not coming back on till i took the battery out and put it back in. No matter what the charge on the battery was.

This happened about a week after i got my spare battery and started swapping them out often for a fresh one. As i work 12 hr shifts and stream Internet music all night while on my tow motor.

I could not find anything to fix the problem till i cleaned the contacts on bot batteries. All i did was clean each of the contacts on each battery by scraping clean the contacts with a paper clip. Problem solved. I have to go back and do this from time to time when they get dirty again, but my mogul does not shut off when closing the keyboard anymore if it does i know its time to clean the contacts again.

I was originally thinking that there was a short in the cable that attaches the screen to the board. Thankfully it was not.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Titan