PPCGeeks

PPCGeeks (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/index.php)
-   HTC Titan (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=44)
-   -   EV, 1X or D reading on my Titan (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=39307)

griggs67 10-02-2008 04:58 PM

EV, 1X or D reading on my Titan

I was on I-95 today heading south between Dunn and Fayetteville NC and my ppc6800 which usually has either "EV or 1X" in the title bar started to beep and displayed "D", Anyone know what that is? Sorry if this is a Dumba** Question

Silent_Patriot 10-02-2008 05:43 PM

Re: EV, 1X or D reading on my Titan

Sounds like Digital roaming to me.

MrObvious 10-02-2008 05:54 PM

I've never seen a D before. The D is short for Digital and 1x just means it's only using one stream to send/receive data. EVDO just uses multiple streams to get those speeds. D and 1x are the same. Did you have the little triangle? Although I do wish my phone said D instead of 1x. I think it looks cleaner.

jaminmc 10-02-2008 06:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by griggs67 (Post 443524)
I was on I-95 today heading south between Dunn and Fayetteville NC and my ppc6800 which usually has either "EV or 1X" in the title bar started to beep and displayed "D", Anyone know what that is? Sorry if this is a Dumba** Question

Most likely you went on a tower that doesn't even support 1x. Just CDMA. So you could still make calls, just no data.

Yankees368 10-02-2008 07:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by griggs67 (Post 443524)

D refers to being on a site or network that only supports the CDMA protocol of IS-95 (funny that you were on I-95 at the time). You will have no access to data, and probably not SMS during this time. You were probably roaming on a very small regional carrier, such as Blue Wireless in Buffalo, NY that only supports IS-95 at the time.

vestaviajag 10-03-2008 12:05 AM

Quick question, I'm on 95 around Dunn all the time, but spend most of my time in Raleigh and Greenville, and other points in Eastern NC, but why is my phone ALWAYS roaming. I don't notice a difference on the bill, but its kind of annoying to see that triangle. The phone is a 704 Charlotte number, and I'm almost NEVER there, is that the issue? I'm confused...

MrObvious 10-03-2008 12:42 PM

If you leave your home area (home SID) you are gonna be "roaming" as indicated by a blinking indicator. The way you can tell if you are on Alltel or not pretty much is if you get EVDO or not on the signal. If it is blinking you are just fine. Just don't let it go solid.

griggs67 10-03-2008 04:58 PM

Well I was on the phone and it would just beep in my ear like call waiting. Did not drop the call. I made no attempt at data during that time. Thanks for the info....