PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Titan
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-28-2008, 03:52 AM
Lurker
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro
Carrier: Sprint

BigMac11 is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
which apps first?

Hey i just got my mogul a few days ago and i was wondering what apps i should get first/are there any must haves? i'd really like a different theme/today screen and was thinking of getting the cube. is that the best option? and where can i find the most recent link?
thanks a ton!
Old 09-28-2008, 08:46 AM
Almost a VIP
Pocket PC: HD2/TouchPro2
Carrier: T-Mo

reeg420 knows their stuffreeg420 knows their stuffreeg420 knows their stuffreeg420 knows their stuffreeg420 knows their stuffreeg420 knows their stuffreeg420 knows their stuff
Re: which apps first?

First one PIMBackup. It backs up your contacts, messages, task, calender events, etc. to a file on your sd card.

PIMBackup.
http://www.dotfred.net/

Instead of the cube check out Manila2D. Its a fairly new program from the Touch Viva that replaces the today screen with a Diamond Like interface.

Manila2D
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=398173

Manila2D Skins/Themes
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...anila+2D+Black

That should get you started. Also has the phone been upgraded to wm6.1 yet. Go into settings/system/Device Info and the rom version should be 3.56 and the radio should be 3.42.
This is just the tip of the iceberg my friend. Welcome you will love this place. Here and xda-developers have an almost unlimited amount of info about the phone and programs for it.
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 09-28-2008, 09:14 AM
Lurker
Pocket PC: HTC Evo 4G

jason25 is halfway to VIP status based on repjason25 is halfway to VIP status based on repjason25 is halfway to VIP status based on repjason25 is halfway to VIP status based on repjason25 is halfway to VIP status based on repjason25 is halfway to VIP status based on repjason25 is halfway to VIP status based on repjason25 is halfway to VIP status based on repjason25 is halfway to VIP status based on repjason25 is halfway to VIP status based on repjason25 is halfway to VIP status based on rep

you will also want some sort of registry editor and Total Commander
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 09-28-2008, 11:36 AM
I see you have a PPC.
Pocket PC: Droid
Carrier: Borged Alltel

MrObvious is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMrObvious is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMrObvious is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMrObvious is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMrObvious is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMrObvious is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMrObvious is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMrObvious is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMrObvious is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMrObvious is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMrObvious is still contributing even after becoming a VIP

Oxidos Hibernate or however it is spelled. Also you should look into cooking your own ROMs.
Old 09-28-2008, 04:42 PM
Lurker
Threadstarter

BigMac11 is a n00b

perfect! i've been looking for a good backup software and that is exactly what i needed! thanks! i didnt want to mess around too much till i got it all saved

ok i'll give that one a try! it looks good. are there any specific reasons why its better than the cube?
also, i just downloaded the newest version but i see that an update is supposed to be released soon. should i just wait for that and save myself the hard reset?

and yes i do have the newest wm.

no kidding! theres so much stuff its somewhat overwhelming. but exciting

i'll definitely look into a registry editor. any recommendations? the ones i've tried so far either havent installed properly or just havent downloaded.

what is oxidos hibernate? and i would definitely like to eventually but i really dont know enough about roms to do it myself yet!

Last edited by BigMac11; 09-28-2008 at 04:48 PM.
Old 09-28-2008, 05:36 PM
Almost a VIP
Pocket PC: HD2/TouchPro2
Carrier: T-Mo

reeg420 knows their stuffreeg420 knows their stuffreeg420 knows their stuffreeg420 knows their stuffreeg420 knows their stuffreeg420 knows their stuffreeg420 knows their stuff

Manila2D is newer. Looks nicer.

As of right now there are tons of updates since it just came out. Im still using the original one actually and it works fine for what I use it for. I spent some time editting the cab file to include the skins and the xml file I wanted so its just a one cab install for me. That why I havent updated but Im still waiting for the updates to slow down a little then Ill make my cab file that I want.

On the same website as PIMbackup there is a program called DotFred Task Manager. That has a simple yet full featured registry editor. Should be perfect to start out with.

When MrObvious talked about custom roms. There are several custom roms that are put out by people such as no2chem and dcd. There are others but those are the two most known and used ones in my mind. Those for the most part are straight rom installs pretty much same as official rom update methods. If your looking to customize your own rom check out ppckitchen.org. Really easy and to the point will let you pick what programs you want built into your rom. All the newer custom roms that are put out as well as the newer base kits with the ppckitchen are based on the 3.56 rom...just much improved. You havent used a mogul until you use a mogul running nueRom3.
Check out this thread for a start on that.
http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=33857

Here is GaMedic's tutorial on using the kitchen
http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=33873

Oxios Hibernate is a program that basically releases memory used by programs that have been closed, back to the memory. If that makes sense. You should have that on your phone also.

EDIT: I was just reading your other post and seen that you dont have a data plan.
You must check this out so you dont accidentally use data. This is what I use.
http://www.modaco.com/content/pocket...-free-utility/

Last edited by reeg420; 09-28-2008 at 06:10 PM.
Old 09-28-2008, 08:23 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: HTC Evo 4G

jason25 is halfway to VIP status based on repjason25 is halfway to VIP status based on repjason25 is halfway to VIP status based on repjason25 is halfway to VIP status based on repjason25 is halfway to VIP status based on repjason25 is halfway to VIP status based on repjason25 is halfway to VIP status based on repjason25 is halfway to VIP status based on repjason25 is halfway to VIP status based on repjason25 is halfway to VIP status based on repjason25 is halfway to VIP status based on rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigMac11 View Post
i'll definitely look into a registry editor. any recommendations? the ones i've tried so far either havent installed properly or just havent downloaded.

what is oxidos hibernate? and i would definitely like to eventually but i really dont know enough about roms to do it myself yet!
use PHM or my favorite Resco Registry
Oxios Hibernate reclaims some of the "lost" RAM, every little bit helps out on the Mogul.
Old 09-29-2008, 02:09 AM
Lurker
Threadstarter

BigMac11 is a n00b

ok cool i'll install that and see how i like it!
i'm still a little confused about what it does. so it just basically is a new interface? does it remove all the programs i have already installed? and if i want to go back(doubtful haha) to the default windows interface how would i do that?

that reg editor is perfect, thanks!

oh sweet i was hoping for something like that too so i wouldnt be surprised with an awesome data bill from sprint at the end of the month....

nice, i'll look into that

thanks so much for putting up with my questions its helped a ton!
Old 09-29-2008, 11:15 AM
I see you have a PPC.
Pocket PC: Droid
Carrier: Borged Alltel

MrObvious is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMrObvious is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMrObvious is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMrObvious is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMrObvious is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMrObvious is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMrObvious is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMrObvious is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMrObvious is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMrObvious is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMrObvious is still contributing even after becoming a VIP

If you wanna look into building your own ROMs GaMedic has a nice tutorial for you to learn about it. I would start with 20273 for stability. You can go to the Titan Upgrades forum or the forum run by several PPCGeeks peeps called ppckitchen.org. GaMedic's thraed is there too.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Titan