PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Titan

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-15-2008, 09:18 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Mogul
Carrier: Sprint

Robb Bates is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Memory leak?

I have a custom ROM installed and I seem to have a memory leak somewhere. Or maybe that's just the way WM6.1 works. I sure hope not. This has happened on every custom ROM I have installed. I want to know if it's a certain program I'm using or if it happens with everyone else.

After I reboot and all my programs startup, I have about 17MB available. I sure wish I had more, but 17MB should be enough to run just about anything.

After using my phone for a day or so, my available RAM starts to drop until I only have just a few MB and can't run anything. I've looked at the running processes using dotFred's task manager and I've also run Hibernate (the one in QuickMenu) and I only get maybe a MB or two freed up. I eventually am forced to do a soft reset maybe every one or two days. Frustrating! Especially when I want to take a quick picture of something and the camera program says "Sorry, not enough memory".

Does anyone else have this same problem? Does anyone know of any solutions?

Robb
Old 09-15-2008, 09:19 AM
Tweety...Bear (chick)
Pocket PC: EVO

TweetyBear is halfway to VIP status based on repTweetyBear is halfway to VIP status based on repTweetyBear is halfway to VIP status based on repTweetyBear is halfway to VIP status based on repTweetyBear is halfway to VIP status based on repTweetyBear is halfway to VIP status based on repTweetyBear is halfway to VIP status based on repTweetyBear is halfway to VIP status based on repTweetyBear is halfway to VIP status based on repTweetyBear is halfway to VIP status based on repTweetyBear is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Send a message via AIM to TweetyBear Send a message via Yahoo to TweetyBear
Re: Memory leak?

that's odd. maybe the pagepool is set a bit high perhaps? that's the only time i have memory problems. and also when i have manila2d or weatherpanel installed

Old 09-15-2008, 09:53 AM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: XV6800
Carrier: VZW

weedahoe is halfway to VIP status based on repweedahoe is halfway to VIP status based on repweedahoe is halfway to VIP status based on repweedahoe is halfway to VIP status based on repweedahoe is halfway to VIP status based on repweedahoe is halfway to VIP status based on repweedahoe is halfway to VIP status based on repweedahoe is halfway to VIP status based on repweedahoe is halfway to VIP status based on repweedahoe is halfway to VIP status based on repweedahoe is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Send a message via AIM to weedahoe Send a message via MSN to weedahoe Send a message via Yahoo to weedahoe

Some people use a memory manage to close and background apps to keep thier memory freed up and available. I personally use MemMaid.
Old 09-15-2008, 10:21 AM
acs tester
Pocket PC: diamond/tp1/tp2/MoFo/touch 4g
Carrier: ppcgeeks/sprint

darren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation level
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to darren.wlsn1 Send a message via MSN to darren.wlsn1 Send a message via Yahoo to darren.wlsn1 Send a message via Skype™ to darren.wlsn1

Quote:
Originally Posted by weedahoe View Post
Some people use a memory manage to close and background apps to keep thier memory freed up and available. I personally use MemMaid.
exactly what i was thinking. try it http://www.dinarsoft.com/memmaid/
Old 09-15-2008, 10:36 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: 1 Evo LTE 1 Samsung GSIII & Toshiba Excite 10

meccadon123 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularmeccadon123 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularmeccadon123 is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

I use Memaid, and have noticed that practically all the system processes tend to double their mem usage over the course of a day of moderate to heavy usage. It is virtually unavoidable. 1 or 2 soft resets a day should keep you running ok.
Old 09-15-2008, 10:39 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Threadstarter

Robb Bates is a n00b

I just installed MemMaid and I already use QuickMenu to Close applications. I ran MemMaid's QuickClean and it only freed up 405kb. I then ran QuickMenu's Hibernate and got 1.5MB back. I'm still only at 8MB available instead of the 17MB I start out with.

Robb
Old 09-15-2008, 10:59 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Threadstarter

Robb Bates is a n00b

I know I can soft reset to get back the memory, but the point is, I don't want to have to reset. When I start out with 17MB then run programs, I should be able to get back to 17MB if I close all of them. What is taking up the extra memory? And why doesn't Hibernate or MemMaid free it up?

Robb
Old 09-15-2008, 11:02 AM
Blabber mouth
Pocket PC: MoPho
Carrier: Sprint.... for now

cornelious2 should be added to the payroll for their contributionscornelious2 should be added to the payroll for their contributionscornelious2 should be added to the payroll for their contributionscornelious2 should be added to the payroll for their contributionscornelious2 should be added to the payroll for their contributionscornelious2 should be added to the payroll for their contributionscornelious2 should be added to the payroll for their contributionscornelious2 should be added to the payroll for their contributionscornelious2 should be added to the payroll for their contributionscornelious2 should be added to the payroll for their contributionscornelious2 should be added to the payroll for their contributions
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

you can try oxios hibernate too, that seems to free up most of the memory for me. oxios kill frees up more, but it causes issues with windows media player (but since I use TCPMP I don't really care)
Old 09-15-2008, 11:04 AM
N00b
Pocket PC: Htc Titan, Instinct, Htc Touch Diamond & Htc Touch Pro

sonyday40 is a n00b

try oxios hibernate. that is the best mem recovery program out there!!! i run no less than 21 all day and around 54% processor! on startup im running 23 and 49%!
Old 09-15-2008, 11:40 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Threadstarter

Robb Bates is a n00b

I just tried Oxios and it didn't do any better than the others.

Robb

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Titan