PPCGeeks

PPCGeeks (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/index.php)
-   HTC Titan (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=44)
-   -   Wet mogul problem (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=37340)

ajent 09-14-2008 08:36 PM

Wet mogul problem

Today I dropped my mogul in a cup of iced tea, and immediately pulled it out, took out the battery, and shook the phone. Once I placed the battery back in, it showed the multicolor boot screen, and then slowly faded to black.

Now a few hours later, every time I place my battery in the phone, or plug it in to charge (without battery), the Caps, and FN led light up, then will fade out/pulse. The white watermark is still completely white, so I might get away with getting a refurbished replacement, (again).

Anyone ever experience this? I cannot open it all the way up, since I don't have the tools, just wondering if over night maybe it will dry and i'll be able to turn it back on.

thanks.

Edit: Actually I just tried to turn it on again after posting this, the 2 LEDs still light up, but this time the phone did turn on and display the normal sprint screen, and then screen went back to black.

anurbanlegend 09-14-2008 08:50 PM

Re: Wet mogul problem

Put it in a bag of uncooked white rice for the night. =)

nelly48237 09-14-2008 10:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ajent (Post 415729)
I cannot open it all the way up, since I don't have the tools,

i have opened up one before. the tool can be bought at any homedepot or lowes hardware store. i believe its a number 5 star allen bit. but it's important that you open it up and dry it out. otherwise when they get it and open it up, they will see that it was wet because the water will turn the wires and metal green. it doesn't matter if it doesn't come on or work. just as long as there isn't any signs of water damage inside the phone

Eturnulrs704 09-14-2008 11:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nelly48237 (Post 415919)
i have opened up one before. the tool can be bought at any homedepot or lowes hardware store. i believe its a number 5 star allen bit. but it's important that you open it up and dry it out. otherwise when they get it and open it up, they will see that it was wet because the water will turn the wires and metal green. it doesn't matter if it doesn't come on or work. just as long as there isn't any signs of water damage inside the phone

Not true, theres a small sticker in the phone that turns colors when wet. And u cant avoid it once it gets wet.. Thats how they know if it has water damage.. so best bet is to try and clean it out urself of call it in to insurance.. But try and open it clean it out the let it dry in the windowor something.. But on the plus side if it comes back on it'll be faster than ever due to a caffein boost.. :mrgreen:

lwrdrchvy2 09-14-2008 11:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eturnulrs704 (Post 415992)
Not true, theres a small sticker in the phone that turns colors when wet. And u cant avoid it once it gets wet.. Thats how they know if it has water damage.. so best bet is to try and clean it out urself of call it in to insurance.. But try and open it clean it out the let it dry in the windowor something.. But on the plus side if it comes back on it'll be faster than ever due to a caffein boost.. :mrgreen:

You are both right. Wires and parts of the board corrode (turn green) and there is a liquid indicator inside the phone that turns red when it gets wet. The service techs are not supposed to purely go on the indicator to determine water damage, if they cant find any other signs of liquid damage they will usually replace it. So open it up, clean it up and take it in to get it swapped out.

subhumanderelict 09-14-2008 11:27 PM

The best thing I heard you can do is to leave it in some dry rice overnight (like anurbanlegand suggested) or, if you have enough of those silica gel packets, use those. Don't use a hair dryer or anything that can force moisture further into the phone.

http://www.wikihow.com/Save-a-Wet-Cell-Phone

fred_dj 09-15-2008 12:04 AM

I got away with the white sticker turning red by touching it with a cottom swab embebbed in bleach one time, it turns white right away. they gave me a new phonem it worked!. lol

RicoRich196 09-15-2008 12:29 AM

Chances are you didn't wait long enough before putting the battery back in and fried one thing or another. Also Sugar is definitely cause a lot of problems, if you dropped it in water it'd be different, I suggest getting it replaced.

Rangerdave 09-15-2008 04:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fred_dj (Post 416040)
I got away with the white sticker turning red by touching it with a cottom swab embebbed in bleach one time, it turns white right away. they gave me a new phonem it worked!. lol

DOH!!!

MrObvious 09-15-2008 05:11 AM

Insurance FTW!