PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Titan
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-14-2008, 11:27 AM
Lurker

rcjunkie is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Newbie GPS for hiking/biking/Colorado Mountain Trails

Hi,
I'm am technologically retarded so please be easy on me. I don't own an MP3 player, have never text messaged, and own a VCR. All of the tech capability and acronyms/buzzwords are too much for me.

Question: Is there a GPS program that I can use for my Sprint Mogul so I can use it to go hiking in the Colorado mountains?

I have spent hours reading on this and other forums but am having trouble figuring stuff out with all of the tech jargon. I don't know how the GPS works, whether cell phones tower signal or sat signals are used so I don't even know if this is possible.

All I need is a program I can buy that allows me to use GPS so I don't get lost while hiking with my wife. We are an elderly couple and got scared last week when we took a wrong turn on a trail. We don't want this to happend again and want to see if the Mogul can be used to do this or if we have to buy a handheld GPS unit.

Thanks!
Old 09-14-2008, 11:47 AM
I see you have a PPC.
Pocket PC: Droid
Carrier: Borged Alltel

MrObvious is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMrObvious is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMrObvious is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMrObvious is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMrObvious is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMrObvious is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMrObvious is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMrObvious is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMrObvious is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMrObvious is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMrObvious is still contributing even after becoming a VIP
Re: Newbie GPS for hiking/biking/Colorado Mountain Trails

Welcome to PPCGeeks first off! Can you tell us if you are using the latest ROM? It should be available on HTC's website. A ROM basically is a premade Windows installation for your needs.

You can buy a Garmin or TomTom or iGo piece of software that should work but I'm not sure it does hiking trails. AFAIK it only does roads/highways.
Old 09-14-2008, 11:59 AM
Tweety...Bear (chick)
Pocket PC: EVO
Carrier: Sprint

TweetyBear is halfway to VIP status based on repTweetyBear is halfway to VIP status based on repTweetyBear is halfway to VIP status based on repTweetyBear is halfway to VIP status based on repTweetyBear is halfway to VIP status based on repTweetyBear is halfway to VIP status based on repTweetyBear is halfway to VIP status based on repTweetyBear is halfway to VIP status based on repTweetyBear is halfway to VIP status based on repTweetyBear is halfway to VIP status based on repTweetyBear is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Send a message via AIM to TweetyBear Send a message via Yahoo to TweetyBear

i know for a fact there are gps apps out there for hiking but dunno of any offhand. i'll try to find it for you

Old 09-14-2008, 12:45 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: 6800 & Touch Pro
Carrier: Alltel

shadow-tech is halfway to VIP status based on repshadow-tech is halfway to VIP status based on repshadow-tech is halfway to VIP status based on repshadow-tech is halfway to VIP status based on repshadow-tech is halfway to VIP status based on repshadow-tech is halfway to VIP status based on repshadow-tech is halfway to VIP status based on repshadow-tech is halfway to VIP status based on repshadow-tech is halfway to VIP status based on repshadow-tech is halfway to VIP status based on rep

if ur in cell range use google maps cause it has satellite view. but wont work well if u have no data connection. getting the gps to work involves some time and effort. probly take ya a few hours. we have a chat room here. u can get live support.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Titan