PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Titan

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-08-2008, 03:06 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: HTC Mogul

kurtiebird is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Unhappy Mogul total program memory < 48MB?

Hey all,

Lately, I have noticed my Mogul has been painfully slow. While researching the issue, I just noticed my total program memory is 47.23MB (in use 29.75, free 17.4. This is after killing all running processes in the Memory settings.

Maybe this is a stupid question, but shouldn't the total memory be 64MB? If not, what reduces the total memory by that much? Surely the OS is taking up some or all of the 29.75.

TIA for any insight anyone can provide.

-K
Old 09-08-2008, 03:36 PM
Coz-erator
Pocket PC: Sprint Galaxy Note 2 & other misc digital devices
Carrier: Sprint

CozBoogie can't get a higher reputation levelCozBoogie can't get a higher reputation levelCozBoogie can't get a higher reputation levelCozBoogie can't get a higher reputation levelCozBoogie can't get a higher reputation levelCozBoogie can't get a higher reputation levelCozBoogie can't get a higher reputation levelCozBoogie can't get a higher reputation levelCozBoogie can't get a higher reputation levelCozBoogie can't get a higher reputation levelCozBoogie can't get a higher reputation level
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Send a message via MSN to CozBoogie Send a message via Yahoo to CozBoogie
Re: Mogul total program memory < 48MB?

Install either MemMaid or SKTools to free up more memory. Both will clean up debris left by internet browsing (cookies, temp files, etc.) and both offer many other options and features to keep you ppc happy.

late,
Coz
Old 09-08-2008, 03:54 PM
VIP & Proud Member of CBM
Pocket PC: Touch Pro 2-Sprint, HTC Evo Fully Rooted-Sprint
Carrier: Sprint Nextel

nxtech3 is halfway to VIP status based on repnxtech3 is halfway to VIP status based on repnxtech3 is halfway to VIP status based on repnxtech3 is halfway to VIP status based on repnxtech3 is halfway to VIP status based on repnxtech3 is halfway to VIP status based on repnxtech3 is halfway to VIP status based on repnxtech3 is halfway to VIP status based on repnxtech3 is halfway to VIP status based on repnxtech3 is halfway to VIP status based on rep

Start-settings-system-device info-hardware. That will show you an overview on what is taking up space.

"I pity tha fool... that don't press !"
Old 09-08-2008, 05:35 PM
morsus mihi
Pocket PC: iPhone 4
Carrier: AT&T

schettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIP
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)

Less cryptic answer... there's nothing wrong. Microsoft doesn't count some memory that it uses. I guess that's to make you feel better about an OS that uses 40MB of ram just to boot into the "home" screen. Of the 40MB, 6-8MB is used by the page pool, so that's not really fair to count - although without such a massive page pool WinMo would be unusably slow. So, let's say it needs 32MB ram to boot.

Are you running WM6.1? It seems to perform reasonably well even with a fairly small amount of free ram.

Anyone else remember when WinCE ran on devices with 2mb ram? TOTAL? For both memory and programs?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Casio_C..._A-10_and_A-11
2MB ram... sky's the limit baby.

Heck, the E10 was HUGE with 4mb ram. I think I still have one of those somewhere...
Old 09-10-2008, 09:23 AM
Lurker
Pocket PC: HTC Mogul
Threadstarter

kurtiebird is a n00b

First, thanks all for the helpful responses. I've installed MemMaid, but haven't had time to do more than a couple of quick things, though it does seem to have helped some.

Quote:
Originally Posted by schettj View Post
Are you running WM6.1? It seems to perform reasonably well even with a fairly small amount of free ram.
I still have WM 6.0. Thanks for the heads-up, I'm haeded to HTC's website to get 6.1

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Titan