PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Titan
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-03-2008, 10:57 AM
Socrates Philosophy
Pocket PC: Evo3D
Carrier: Sprint

GhettoBSD knows their stuffGhettoBSD knows their stuffGhettoBSD knows their stuffGhettoBSD knows their stuffGhettoBSD knows their stuffGhettoBSD knows their stuffGhettoBSD knows their stuff
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Red Light of Death

Ok so i'm happily using noNueBar on pre-8 n2c release and the next day i go to jump on the net and BAM! Phone turns off. Try turning it back on and nothing. Pull the battery, nothing.

Get back to the office and try a few more times nothing. Resetting or pulling batt. doesn't work. I say what the heck, and plug it into the PC and it comes back on. Glitch? maybe who knows right?

Well, since then it's been getting worse. On my ride home got a call (but can't answer cause i'm on a bike) and it turns off by the time i got home. Messed around with it, nothing until i plugged it into my pc.

I think it has a short because the red light has come on. I put the OEM battery in it and the phone killed it over night. I've been running extended battery.

So, my question is, if you also think it's a short, what's the best way to get this fixed? Go into a sprint store or just call insurance? Any thoughts on what else it could be that i could fix on my own?

TIA!

Make sure you donate to those who spend countless hours improving your PPC/android experience!
Old 09-03-2008, 11:08 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Mogul
Carrier: sprint

biglee is just getting started
Re: Red Light of Death

Sound similar to what happened on early edition At&t tilts. If I remember correctly, that was solved by plugging the phone in with the battery out and then quickly touching the battery contacts to the phones contacts repeatedly (more or less tapping the contacts and quickly removing them.) It worked when I did it to my bosses tilt.
Old 09-03-2008, 11:11 AM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: XV6800
Carrier: VZW

weedahoe is halfway to VIP status based on repweedahoe is halfway to VIP status based on repweedahoe is halfway to VIP status based on repweedahoe is halfway to VIP status based on repweedahoe is halfway to VIP status based on repweedahoe is halfway to VIP status based on repweedahoe is halfway to VIP status based on repweedahoe is halfway to VIP status based on repweedahoe is halfway to VIP status based on repweedahoe is halfway to VIP status based on repweedahoe is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Send a message via AIM to weedahoe Send a message via MSN to weedahoe Send a message via Yahoo to weedahoe

Red lights of death huh? Are we talking phone or Xbox 360?? LOL

Sry for the bad humor. I dont want no Xbox fans flaming be bc I HAVE ONE TOO!!

Anyway, I would replace for sure, it doesnt sound like much else can be done with it.

On a side note GhettoBSD, Im moving out to Oxnard soon for work. How it is out there?
Old 09-03-2008, 01:05 PM
Socrates Philosophy
Threadstarter

GhettoBSD knows their stuffGhettoBSD knows their stuffGhettoBSD knows their stuffGhettoBSD knows their stuffGhettoBSD knows their stuffGhettoBSD knows their stuffGhettoBSD knows their stuff

Although i don't live close to Oxnard, it isn't bad. I knew a chick who lived out there and it's a nice place.

Thanks but I don't think i'll try the tapping the connectors while plugged in :P

So should i pay the automatic $50 for a phone OR should I take it in to a sprint store and try to have it repaired?
Old 09-03-2008, 01:15 PM
ACSyndicate.net
Pocket PC: Epic

flyers2114 can't get a higher reputation levelflyers2114 can't get a higher reputation levelflyers2114 can't get a higher reputation levelflyers2114 can't get a higher reputation levelflyers2114 can't get a higher reputation levelflyers2114 can't get a higher reputation levelflyers2114 can't get a higher reputation levelflyers2114 can't get a higher reputation levelflyers2114 can't get a higher reputation levelflyers2114 can't get a higher reputation levelflyers2114 can't get a higher reputation level
Send a message via Skype™ to flyers2114

Quote:
Originally Posted by GhettoBSD View Post
Although i don't live close to Oxnard, it isn't bad. I knew a chick who lived out there and it's a nice place.

Thanks but I don't think i'll try the tapping the connectors while plugged in :P

So should i pay the automatic $50 for a phone OR should I take it in to a sprint store and try to have it repaired?
I would take it into the store, a repair center. Better chance of getting one new in the box. How old is the phone? If it is under a year definitely take it to the store, they should give you a new phone in box.
Old 09-03-2008, 02:36 PM
Socrates Philosophy
Threadstarter

geat, thanks!
Old 09-03-2008, 02:44 PM
Socrates Philosophy
Threadstarter

btw what kind of sprint store does it have to be?? because there are many chitty sprint stores that cell phones but i'm guessing only a few that are able to "repair" right? So it goes to a repair center store?
Old 09-03-2008, 02:56 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: XV6800
Carrier: VZW

weedahoe is halfway to VIP status based on repweedahoe is halfway to VIP status based on repweedahoe is halfway to VIP status based on repweedahoe is halfway to VIP status based on repweedahoe is halfway to VIP status based on repweedahoe is halfway to VIP status based on repweedahoe is halfway to VIP status based on repweedahoe is halfway to VIP status based on repweedahoe is halfway to VIP status based on repweedahoe is halfway to VIP status based on repweedahoe is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Send a message via AIM to weedahoe Send a message via MSN to weedahoe Send a message via Yahoo to weedahoe

THX on the Oxnard info, it does have to be a Sprint repair store and not a retail/resale store.
Old 09-03-2008, 03:13 PM
WP Heavy Rot Sloth
Pocket PC: Mogul, Touch Pro 1&2, Evo, PhotonQ

shaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIPshaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIPshaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIPshaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIPshaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIPshaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIPshaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIPshaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIPshaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIPshaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIPshaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIP
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GhettoBSD View Post
Resetting or pulling batt. doesn't work.
just to make sure was this a hard-reset?
also it has been know that occasionally a flash goes bad, so simply reflashing could be the answer.
I would definitely recommend trying the official rom.. if still there, re-lock before taking to the store.. (CS or the website can tell you which stores are repair centers)

I'm not convinced it's a short, likely a chip getting confused, so it could be software/rom/driver.
Old 09-03-2008, 03:48 PM
Socrates Philosophy
Threadstarter

Hmm, it should be under a year old. Also was worried its the battery but the battery is just about to hit the 6 month period where warranty expires. Should i try to get the extended battery replaced as well (through the company that sold it)?

Also i've done a hard reset and it didn't work. Actually did a hard reset with the OEM battery and it didn't work. I am running pre-8 n2c rom, but i doubt it's that as i've been running it since it was out. (pre-8 v3)

thanks though

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Titan