PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Titan

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-02-2008, 11:57 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: Touch Pro 2
Carrier: Many

kingkiro is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
5GB cap or not?

So I'm reading all over that sprint changed the data connection we have to a 5GB cap. but I was checking on my data usage and saw that my data plan on my mogul still says unlimited. So my question is do we have a 5gb cap or not?

right now my data says 12546kb out of unlimited used.
Old 09-02-2008, 11:59 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: mogul
Carrier: sprint

madman16420 is keeping up the good workmadman16420 is keeping up the good work
Send a message via AIM to madman16420
Re: 5GB cap or not?

my still says unlimited too

Old 09-03-2008, 12:22 AM
boubert

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)

I spoke with a friend at Sprint today, and was assured that they would honor all existing contracts. so if you have an unlimited plan it is still unlimited until your contract expires or you change your plan. and I was also told why this "cap" was put in place, it is preperation for the new WIMAX system they are putting in place in 2009 then the ceiling will be raised, his best guess was to around 15/30 Gigabytes. they also said the new WIMAX service would be faster by about 3 to 5 times. sounds like a good deal to me i just signed a 2 year so i think im set
Old 09-03-2008, 07:14 AM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: XV6800
Carrier: VZW

weedahoe is halfway to VIP status based on repweedahoe is halfway to VIP status based on repweedahoe is halfway to VIP status based on repweedahoe is halfway to VIP status based on repweedahoe is halfway to VIP status based on repweedahoe is halfway to VIP status based on repweedahoe is halfway to VIP status based on repweedahoe is halfway to VIP status based on repweedahoe is halfway to VIP status based on repweedahoe is halfway to VIP status based on repweedahoe is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Send a message via AIM to weedahoe Send a message via MSN to weedahoe Send a message via Yahoo to weedahoe

They ALL say unlimited but when it comes down to it, they have the 5gb cap. There have been SO MANY threads on this on other boards and even places like DSLreports where people have even scanned and posted thier warning letters sent from the carriers.
Old 09-03-2008, 09:11 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: PPC-6800 (Sprint Mogul)
Carrier: Sprint

bakntyme is keeping up the good workbakntyme is keeping up the good work

According to the Sprint website, the 5GB cap only applies to the "Mobile Broadband Connection Plans" which are for the broadband cards for laptops; the PDA plans are not limited.

Quote:
Mobile Broadband Connection Plans

With this plan and your Mobile Broadband Card or USB modem, you have instant Internet access wherever you go on the largest national Mobile Broadband network.
This plan includes
  • Internet access on the largest national Mobile Broadband network. (based on covered sq. miles)
  • 5 GB/mo. in total or 300 MB/mo. while off-network roaming. (1024 kb=1MB. 1024 MB=1 GB)
  • International data roaming may incur additional charges. Sprint reserves the right to limit throughput speeds or amount of data transferred.
Quote:
Everything

Maximize your phone's potential with unlimited data, Direct Connect and messages.
This plan includes
  • Data: Web surfing, email, GPS Navigation, Sprint Music Premier, Sprint TV Premier, BlackBerry Internet Services (BIS)
  • Direct Connect: Direct Connect and Group Connect (for capable phones)
  • Talk: Unlimited mobile to mobile, night calling starting at 7 p.m. and weekends, domestic long distance and no roaming charges
All of the discussions I have seen on DSLReports regarding this have been from Mobile Broadband Plan users, not from PDA users. At least for now, there appears to be no cap on data for phone plans.

edit:
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingkiro View Post
right now my data says 12546kb out of unlimited used.
Regardless, you could use that amount of data each hour, 12 hours per day, 30 days per month, and not go over 5GB.

Last edited by bakntyme; 09-03-2008 at 09:36 AM.
Old 09-03-2008, 09:15 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: LG Touch
Carrier: Verizon Wireless

rhannahs19 is keeping up the good workrhannahs19 is keeping up the good workrhannahs19 is keeping up the good work
Send a message via AIM to rhannahs19

They All Have 5 Gb Caps... Go Ask A Sprint/verizon Rep!!!!!!
Old 09-03-2008, 09:15 AM
Tweety...Bear (chick)
Pocket PC: EVO
Carrier: Sprint

TweetyBear is halfway to VIP status based on repTweetyBear is halfway to VIP status based on repTweetyBear is halfway to VIP status based on repTweetyBear is halfway to VIP status based on repTweetyBear is halfway to VIP status based on repTweetyBear is halfway to VIP status based on repTweetyBear is halfway to VIP status based on repTweetyBear is halfway to VIP status based on repTweetyBear is halfway to VIP status based on repTweetyBear is halfway to VIP status based on repTweetyBear is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Send a message via AIM to TweetyBear Send a message via Yahoo to TweetyBear

Quote:
Originally Posted by bakntyme View Post
According to the Sprint website, the 5GB cap only applies to the "Mobile Broadband Connection Plans" which are for the broadband cards for laptops; the PDA plans are not limited.

All of the discussions I have seen on DSLReports regarding this have been from Mobile Broadband Plan users, not from PDA users. At least for now, there appears to be no cap on data for phone plans.
interesting but who knows. i don't even use that much data in a month on my phone so no worries

Old 09-03-2008, 04:41 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: touch pro

Jef_Leppard is just getting started

theres already a 29 page thread on this.

http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=27025

the cap is for PAM (phone as modem) users and data card users.

ive posted 2 or 3 months of my usage on my sierra 597 usb modem. ive gone over 30gb in a month and ive heard nothing of it.

this has nothing to do with your phone plan what so ever unless you pay for phone as modem.

Last edited by Jef_Leppard; 09-03-2008 at 04:44 PM.
Old 09-03-2008, 05:17 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: Touch Pro 2
Carrier: Many
Threadstarter

kingkiro is a n00b

Ok ty for the heads up. the reason I ask is because I go over the 5gb quick. I have a 3-4 hour break everyday in school and that whole time is used watching sling mobile/Orb/Internet videos on my phone and sharing my internet connection to play WOW on my laptop. The only reason its at only 12500 right now is because i didnt use the connection much yet for this month.
Old 09-03-2008, 09:38 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Sprint Mogul
Carrier: sprint

pflatlyne is a n00b

I use vastly more data than 5gb a month and I have yet to get a letter. I have a mogul with a unlimited data plan (the 15 dollar a month one). So far so good. I have been tethering on a data plan since two years ago when sprint stuck me for a a year of text messaging I neither wanted or used.

They told me it was my fault because even though they asked me every time I called if I wanted text messaging and I told them no,and then they added it anyway,and even though I have never sent a text message,I should have checked to make sure that sprint wasn't ripping me off. Actually,when I first got the service,every month a new charge for something I didn't want would appear,but after a while I got all thsoe things sorted and it looked good so I just paid the bill via phone assuming I went over the minutes.

After that,after being very angry for a few hours,I decided to use sprint for my primary internet connection. I consider it a small victory against sprint. A small victory to the order of 30gigs last month.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Titan