PPCGeeks

PPCGeeks (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/index.php)
-   HTC Titan (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=44)
-   -   Windows Mobile 6.1 and Zimbra (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=36173)

arparent 08-31-2008 01:40 PM

Windows Mobile 6.1 and Zimbra

Hey guys, anyone ever use a Zimbra email server with WM6.1? At work I will apparently be getting an account on a Zimbra server in the coming weeks. Their website says that Zimbra is completley compatible with Windows Mobile and Microsoft Outlook, but its not a microsoft product. I find that a bit hard to beleive. They claim that all calendar, contact, and email data will sync just like it would on an exchange server. They also say that direct push is compatible as as well. Anyone have experience with this?

DougWare 08-31-2008 02:18 PM

Re: Windows Mobile 6.1 and Zimbra

I'm the Zimbra admin at my employer, among other things.

Zimbra works perfectly with ActiveSync's push mail....

You will need to keep in mind the following details:
  • I had to disable the SSL option on ActiveSync, but we use self-signed certificates. Otherwise, you will get an error on ActiveSync.
  • You need the "Zimbra Mobile" add-on for the account to ActiveSync.
  • Tasks do not synchronize, but they are working on it (there's been a bug open for many months). They say they just don't support task sync yet.
  • We are running a version that's several months old, and contact photos do not sync. I believe they've fixed this since then.
  • It does not support some of the advanced features that Exchange does, such as remote device wipe. Again, it's a requsted feature and there is a bug open.
I hope this answers your questions...

Doug

arparent 09-01-2008 12:29 PM

Thanks a lot, it does.

I'm not concerned with the Task Sync, I don't use Tasks ever. I was mostly concerned with Email and Calendar appointments, contacts is a plus. I appreciate the feedback.

arparent 09-18-2008 05:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DougWare (Post 399878)
I'm the Zimbra admin at my employer, among other things.

Zimbra works perfectly with ActiveSync's push mail....

You will need to keep in mind the following details:
  • I had to disable the SSL option on ActiveSync, but we use self-signed certificates. Otherwise, you will get an error on ActiveSync.
  • You need the "Zimbra Mobile" add-on for the account to ActiveSync.
  • Tasks do not synchronize, but they are working on it (there's been a bug open for many months). They say they just don't support task sync yet.
  • We are running a version that's several months old, and contact photos do not sync. I believe they've fixed this since then.
  • It does not support some of the advanced features that Exchange does, such as remote device wipe. Again, it's a requsted feature and there is a bug open.
I hope this answers your questions...

Doug

This "Zimbra Mobile add-on" that you speak of... I assume it is something that my system administrator has to give me access to. Before I ask for it, is it something that costs the company money to provide to me? If so I'll save myself the trouble of being lectured.

DougWare 09-19-2008 12:26 PM

It's a extra licensing "feature".

See here:
http://www.zimbra.com/products/mobile_smartphone.html

Also, I finally figured out how to do an ActiveSync with SSL enabled and self signed certificates after a few months of research...

Doug

Quote:

Originally Posted by arparent (Post 422497)
This "Zimbra Mobile add-on" that you speak of... I assume it is something that my system administrator has to give me access to. Before I ask for it, is it something that costs the company money to provide to me? If so I'll save myself the trouble of being lectured.

tiwanx 09-20-2008 12:12 PM

i have been using mail2web. the basic service is free and will sync calenders, contacts, and gives push email (using active exchange server). just enter the exchange server info into your activesync server settings did i mention its free and works well, just better have unlimited data and good battery (you ppc will be constantly connected) but haven notice any excessive battery drain on my alltel 6800.