PPCGeeks

PPCGeeks (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/index.php)
-   HTC Titan (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=44)
-   -   Previous 6700 owners, please read and comment (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=35930)

collindv 08-28-2008 08:41 AM

Previous 6700 owners, please read and comment

To those out there that have previously owned 6700's and now use the 6800. I have used a verizon 6700 for the past 1.5 years and am coming up on my new every two renewal period in a week or so. My questions is this, is it worth upgrading from the 6700 to the 6800, or will I not see enough of a difference to make it worth it? I like my 6700 running a custom WM6.0 kitchen and have become accustomed to it's occasional and random lockups, slow downs, soft resets, etc. From my understanding, the only real benefits of the 6800 would be EVDO rev A, working internal GPS with a custom kitchen, and 128MB more RAM.

With the touch pro on the horizon, I would really like to hold out for that, but I know it will be out of my price range for at least a year I would say. I'm not big on paying more than $200 or so for a phone.

weedahoe 08-28-2008 09:04 AM

Re: Previous 6700 owners, please read and comment

Quote:

Originally Posted by collindv (Post 396676)
To those out there that have previously owned 6700's and now use the 6800. I have used a verizon 6700 for the past 1.5 years and am coming up on my new every two renewal period in a week or so. My questions is this, is it worth upgrading from the 6700 to the 6800, or will I not see enough of a difference to make it worth it? I like my 6700 running a custom WM6.0 kitchen and have become accustomed to it's occasional and random lockups, slow downs, soft resets, etc. From my understanding, the only real benefits of the 6800 would be EVDO rev A, working internal GPS with a custom kitchen, and 128MB more RAM.

With the touch pro on the horizon, I would really like to hold out for that, but I know it will be out of my price range for at least a year I would say. I'm not big on paying more than $200 or so for a phone.

As a former 67 user, YES, it is very much worth it. The camera is better, my volume is much more loud and I actually have to turn it down at times. The keyboard is better laid out. The extra ROM space is a plus. The ability to do TRUE GPS is great.

However, I got my 68 on an insurance upgrade but I also will be looking to get the Touch Pro or Diamond Pro or Raphel or whatever they call it now. But also like you, the price will be a factor.

Lsme420 08-28-2008 09:27 AM

Ya I also say its worth it. For all the same reasons weeds said but the biggest one to me was "Its a new phone".
I must confess thoe I too will be making the slide to the Pro when it comes out.

jimnutt 08-28-2008 09:43 AM

I got mine as an insurance replacement and have been very happy with it. The much larger storage memory means that putting a lot of OEMs into a custom ROM is no longer necessary, so upgrades are easier to deal with. The initial upgrade to a custom rom is a bit scarier than on the apache, but not too difficult.

weedahoe 08-28-2008 09:46 AM

OH YEAH!!! That was a big one to me too. I needed something new to bring back my interest in it. THX for helping me remember that one LSME420

nuguy 08-28-2008 10:26 AM

the 6800 is worth the step up for sure, but perhaps you could hold out on them, talk to retentions about how you are looking at another carier because of (price/features/phones/whatever) and see if you can't get a little help stepping to the touch pro, or only a year contract (getting you to the pro in a year).

Good luck!

collindv 08-28-2008 10:42 AM

Yes, that's my big problem. I have the itch for a new phone NOW! I really, really want the touch pro, but my guess is it will take at least a year to get down to a price I am willing to pay.

Lsme420 08-28-2008 10:46 AM

Sprint was running a special that mostly every one was eligible for a $150 rebate.
Maybe its still going on.
Check your upgrade discount without signing on >

weedahoe 08-28-2008 11:24 AM

Well like I said earlier, I had a 67 and got the 68 as an insurance upgrade and my contract is up about the time the Diamond Pro will be out so I can use that hopefully. Why not try an insurance upgrade?

shaggylive 08-28-2008 11:38 AM

one thing that was touched on but not fully thought out is the the keyboard. while the 6800 keyboard was an improvement over the 6700, however it slides out from the opposite side. the touch pro goes back to the 6700 style (kinda)
it took me a few months to totally get used to the 6800's keyboard, and I'm not looking forward to doing it again, although I will likely get a touchpro.