PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Titan
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-02-2008, 01:41 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: PPC6700 Apache
Carrier: Sprint

TROGDOR!! is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: Previous 6700 owners, please read and comment

Quote:
Originally Posted by toinejuan View Post
I am getting a 6800 as an insurance replacement. It's going to be here on Tuesday, someone said it was bit more painful to install a custom rom on it. Is there anything special I need to do before I activate the phone to install my custom rom? I've been cooking up roms for the Apache since the kitchen was released. So, if there's anything that's much different with the mogul please let a brother know so I can start preparing before hand.
I'm also getting a 6800 as an insurance replacement, after going thru 4 6700s in the past 14 months or so, 3 of them in the past 3 months. My first 6700 was great for a long time until it started rebooting/freezing constantly, and the replacements all had various problems. I'm pretty pumped about the GPS radio. Is it locked in Sprint's 6800? Will I have to use a custom ROM to make it work? I cooked many ROMs for my 6700, so it's no big deal, but I was planning to use the stock ROM on the 6800 for a while, unless GPS is a no-go without cooking something...
Old 09-02-2008, 02:00 PM
N00b
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro 2 (Sprint Carrier)

Gregory Lima is keeping up the good workGregory Lima is keeping up the good work

I owned the 6700 and picked up the 6800 used at a CompUSA liquidation in January for 90 bucks. The 6800 is obviously better, but the question is whether or not its worth the intermiediate purchase. You can get one off eBay for about 150 - 250 US. I would definately purchase it if i could not afford the Touch Pro next month. Even if i was going to get a Touch in January i would grab a 6800 to use till then. It has no Antenna sticking out, It seems to run a bit smoother, It has a GPS. Flashing in my experience was the same amount of steps.
Old 09-02-2008, 06:46 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Evo

cwlanik is just getting started

Dude, I would definitely make the jump from 6700 to 6800 much for the reasons already stated in this threads earlier posts. I didn't think it would be that big of a difference when I first made the switch, but it was totally worth it. There is no denying that carrying the 6700 is like having a football in your pocket. That stinking antenna gets in the way more than you think. Plus, I hear No2chem is coming out with a new (nue?) rom with even more available memory for the 6800. Check it out here: http://www.nuerom.com/BlogEngine/pos...OM-3-Work.aspx
Old 09-03-2008, 12:21 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: PPC6700 Apache

TROGDOR!! is a n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by TROGDOR!! View Post
I'm also getting a 6800 as an insurance replacement, after going thru 4 6700s in the past 14 months or so, 3 of them in the past 3 months. My first 6700 was great for a long time until it started rebooting/freezing constantly, and the replacements all had various problems. I'm pretty pumped about the GPS radio. Is it locked in Sprint's 6800? Will I have to use a custom ROM to make it work? I cooked many ROMs for my 6700, so it's no big deal, but I was planning to use the stock ROM on the 6800 for a while, unless GPS is a no-go without cooking something...
Answered my own question. GPS is not locked. Was walking around watching the map move in Live Search. Fun stuff. The 6800 is thinner and lighter, and I like the keyboard much better than the 6700. It seems a little bit smaller, but it seems easier to use, even with my big hads. The backlight is much improved.
Old 09-08-2008, 08:40 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro
Threadstarter

collindv is just getting started

All right, I made the leap. 6800 should be here on Wednesday. I guess now I just need to finish researching which rom to install. Sounds like there are a few to chose from (JD's, DCD's, and no2chems). Thanks for the responses everyone, we'll see how it turns out!
Old 09-09-2008, 12:12 AM
Shop smart, shop S-MART!!
Pocket PC: Evolte, Gnex

themuffinman is a VIPthemuffinman is a VIPthemuffinman is a VIPthemuffinman is a VIPthemuffinman is a VIPthemuffinman is a VIPthemuffinman is a VIPthemuffinman is a VIPthemuffinman is a VIPthemuffinman is a VIPthemuffinman is a VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by collindv View Post
All right, I made the leap. 6800 should be here on Wednesday. I guess now I just need to finish researching which rom to install. Sounds like there are a few to chose from (JD's, DCD's, and no2chems). Thanks for the responses everyone, we'll see how it turns out!
Being a former 6700 owner the 6800 is better in many different ways which many posters have elaborated on already, but I would have just waited for the touch pro.
Old 09-09-2008, 07:44 AM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: XV6800
Carrier: VZW

weedahoe is halfway to VIP status based on repweedahoe is halfway to VIP status based on repweedahoe is halfway to VIP status based on repweedahoe is halfway to VIP status based on repweedahoe is halfway to VIP status based on repweedahoe is halfway to VIP status based on repweedahoe is halfway to VIP status based on repweedahoe is halfway to VIP status based on repweedahoe is halfway to VIP status based on repweedahoe is halfway to VIP status based on repweedahoe is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Send a message via AIM to weedahoe Send a message via MSN to weedahoe Send a message via Yahoo to weedahoe

Like me, I recently upgraded and will still get the Pro, but you are NOT going to get that on an insurance upgrade. That one will cost plenty of bread
Old 09-09-2008, 02:19 PM
Almost a VIP
Pocket PC: HD2/TouchPro2
Carrier: T-Mo

reeg420 knows their stuffreeg420 knows their stuffreeg420 knows their stuffreeg420 knows their stuffreeg420 knows their stuffreeg420 knows their stuffreeg420 knows their stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by weedahoe View Post
Like me, I recently upgraded and will still get the Pro

Defiately getting the Pro too. Already got the cash just waiting patiently....ahhhhh I cant take it. The day it comes available Ill be running down the street to the sprint store and getting it.

But the mogul is alot more sexier than the 6700, just as an over all look of it. Nicer gunmetal color, no antenna, better looking joystick.

To Trogdor: You wont have to use a custom rom to get GPS working. Any rom version above I believe 3.35 ??? will have GPS enabled but its not as good as I thought before I got my mogul. Currently the rom version is 3.56 and the official wm6.1 was just released. But if you have been cooking up the 6700 with wm6.1 its no big deal.

As far as roms go there are quite a few. Personally I prefer no2chem's roms. Super quick. Ive run just about every rom out there. I used to use the ppckitchen but its been slacking lately. The last two builds that came out drain my battery in record time. Say if I go to bed with 80% battery, Ill wake up and its dead. Without using it at all. Unless Im messing with it while Im sleeping..lol
They have a couple base kits from no2chem available with the kitchen but havent updated them in a while.

It is alot different to initially flash a custom rom on a mogul though. I was flashing my 6700 for a long time and was very comfortable with it. It took me about 4-5 days of reading to feel comfortable enough to flash my brand new mogul.
Old 09-11-2008, 04:29 PM
Serving the Metro DC Area
Pocket PC: Thunderbolt,9530 (Blackberry)
Carrier: Verizon, Sprint

Adrianh85 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPAdrianh85 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPAdrianh85 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPAdrianh85 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPAdrianh85 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPAdrianh85 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPAdrianh85 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPAdrianh85 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPAdrianh85 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPAdrianh85 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPAdrianh85 is still contributing even after becoming a VIP
Send a message via Yahoo to Adrianh85 Send a message via Skype™ to Adrianh85

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lsme420 View Post
Ya I also say its worth it. For all the same reasons weeds said but the biggest one to me was "Its a new phone".
I must confess thoe I too will be making the slide to the Pro when it comes out.
im agree but only if the verizon version isnt beet down!!!

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Titan