PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Titan

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-27-2008, 03:27 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Touch Pro-GPS
Carrier: Verizon Wireless

Rangerdave is keeping up the good workRangerdave is keeping up the good work
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
magnet in pouch rotates screen

anyone else notice this?--just found it
Old 08-27-2008, 08:15 AM
Lurker
Pocket PC: Sprint Mogul

ejbleendreeble is a n00b
Re: magnet in pouch rotates screen

You're quite correct -- it does.

I use a stick-on magnet on the dash to hold my Mogul when I'm driving. When I attach the Mogul, it will chime and the screen turns 90 degrees. When I remove it, it will return to its normal orientation.

I use AP button to allocate a soft key to rotating the screen so I can use the GPS etc. when I'm driving. It's become so habitual I no longer think about it -- until I read your post, that is.

No idea why it happens ....
Old 08-27-2008, 08:39 AM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: XV6800
Carrier: VZW

weedahoe is halfway to VIP status based on repweedahoe is halfway to VIP status based on repweedahoe is halfway to VIP status based on repweedahoe is halfway to VIP status based on repweedahoe is halfway to VIP status based on repweedahoe is halfway to VIP status based on repweedahoe is halfway to VIP status based on repweedahoe is halfway to VIP status based on repweedahoe is halfway to VIP status based on repweedahoe is halfway to VIP status based on repweedahoe is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Send a message via AIM to weedahoe Send a message via MSN to weedahoe Send a message via Yahoo to weedahoe

Hmmm.....I have a side hip pouch with a magnetic clip and I dont get this effect. Am I missing something.
Old 08-27-2008, 08:50 AM
Let me count thy wounds
Pocket PC: Photon 4G
Carrier: Sprint

blasphemous_prime is a VIPblasphemous_prime is a VIPblasphemous_prime is a VIPblasphemous_prime is a VIPblasphemous_prime is a VIPblasphemous_prime is a VIPblasphemous_prime is a VIPblasphemous_prime is a VIPblasphemous_prime is a VIPblasphemous_prime is a VIPblasphemous_prime is a VIP
Send a message via AIM to blasphemous_prime Send a message via Yahoo to blasphemous_prime Send a message via Skype™ to blasphemous_prime

Quote:
Originally Posted by weedahoe View Post
Hmmm.....I have a side hip pouch with a magnetic clip and I dont get this effect. Am I missing something.
The magnets have to be a bit heavier in order for it to take effect. I tried this with a Verizon magnetic holster a while back on my friend's xv6800.
If you are literally serving shit to American children, or knowingly spinning a wheel where it is not unlikely that you will eventually serve shit – if that’s your business model? Then I got no problems with a jury of your peers wiring your nuts to a car battery and feeding you the accumulated sweepings from the bottom of a monkey cage. In fact, I’ll hold the spoon.” -Ralph Dunlop-
Old 08-27-2008, 09:59 AM
Blabber mouth
Pocket PC: MoPho
Carrier: Sprint.... for now

cornelious2 should be added to the payroll for their contributionscornelious2 should be added to the payroll for their contributionscornelious2 should be added to the payroll for their contributionscornelious2 should be added to the payroll for their contributionscornelious2 should be added to the payroll for their contributionscornelious2 should be added to the payroll for their contributionscornelious2 should be added to the payroll for their contributionscornelious2 should be added to the payroll for their contributionscornelious2 should be added to the payroll for their contributionscornelious2 should be added to the payroll for their contributionscornelious2 should be added to the payroll for their contributions
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

I cant replicate it, and I used a pretty strong magnet.
Old 08-27-2008, 11:06 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Touch & Touch Pro

MrShoe is a n00b

Interesting.

I had to have the magnet on the left side of the phone from the scroll wheel down to the WiFi button.
Front/back/edge all react about the same.
I can see the value when mounting as GPS in the auto. Wonder if it could cause any problems?

Last edited by MrShoe; 08-27-2008 at 11:12 AM.
Old 08-27-2008, 11:21 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro

jaminmc is halfway to VIP status based on repjaminmc is halfway to VIP status based on repjaminmc is halfway to VIP status based on repjaminmc is halfway to VIP status based on repjaminmc is halfway to VIP status based on repjaminmc is halfway to VIP status based on repjaminmc is halfway to VIP status based on repjaminmc is halfway to VIP status based on repjaminmc is halfway to VIP status based on repjaminmc is halfway to VIP status based on repjaminmc is halfway to VIP status based on rep

The reason why this works is because there is a magnet behind the screen right about where it shows the time when it is open. That is how the phone knows that it is closed, the sensor senses the magnet, and knows it is closed. When you bring in another magnet into the equation, it cancels it out and therefore changes the screen orientation.

Actually, most flip phones use magnets to sense if the phone is open or closed, (Well, Some use a little switch). Some laptops use magnets too for this. Like my macbook. If I stick a magnet by my "fn" key, it goes to sleep because it thinks it is closed. then I remove it, and it wakes up.
Old 08-27-2008, 04:12 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Evo

subhumanderelict is becoming a PPCGeeks regularsubhumanderelict is becoming a PPCGeeks regularsubhumanderelict is becoming a PPCGeeks regularsubhumanderelict is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Send a message via AIM to subhumanderelict

My co-worker's Nokia N95 had a similar issue where he would take it out of his holster (with a magnetic clasp) when someone was calling him and it would hang up on the caller. I think the answer/ignore funtion is tied into the sliding mechanism on his phone. His friends and family were getting a little ticked off at him after a while.

Old 08-27-2008, 04:38 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: TouchPro 2
Carrier: U.S. Cellular

treeboy is a n00b

Yep! I have the stock HTC pouch and the magnet held just under the Voice command button rotates the screen.
PPC 6800, TPII
Westport, CA
Old 08-28-2008, 09:08 AM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: XV6800
Carrier: VZW

weedahoe is halfway to VIP status based on repweedahoe is halfway to VIP status based on repweedahoe is halfway to VIP status based on repweedahoe is halfway to VIP status based on repweedahoe is halfway to VIP status based on repweedahoe is halfway to VIP status based on repweedahoe is halfway to VIP status based on repweedahoe is halfway to VIP status based on repweedahoe is halfway to VIP status based on repweedahoe is halfway to VIP status based on repweedahoe is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Send a message via AIM to weedahoe Send a message via MSN to weedahoe Send a message via Yahoo to weedahoe

Are you guys pulling my leg and laughing at me because U just took my 68 out and out the magnet right beside the voice command button and didnt get anything except looking retarted by rubbing the phone up against it.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Titan