PPCGeeks

PPCGeeks (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/index.php)
-   HTC Titan (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=44)
-   -   Creating an "ultra portable" laptop substitute (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=35763)

TIGER02 08-26-2008 11:28 AM

Creating an "ultra portable" laptop substitute

Ok, i've heard this mentioned before but i wanna get some feed back on the idea. I own a touch and a mogul but i want to use the mogul as a laptop replacement so to speak. since it has a keyboard and mouse i want to know what apps i should install to improve functional usage as well as get some ideas of what else to do wit it. I like the device because it has everything built into one device and the lag due to processor speed is ok at times. So what are your thoughts, as far as software.

MrObvious 08-26-2008 11:51 AM

Re: Creating an "ultra portable" laptop substitute

Well it comes with Office built in so note taking isn't too bad if people don't mind your typing. Put a few games on there and it will be fun.

gorelow 08-26-2008 02:28 PM

and honestly, rev a on my mogul is as fast as my sprint broadband card on my laptop

No1ustad 08-26-2008 03:06 PM

get win98 on it! lol

gorelow 08-26-2008 03:33 PM

that's stupid, try windows 95, that rocks

c@rL0$ 08-26-2008 04:00 PM

having a good browser such as skyfire is a great thing especially when you want to surf around during work or lunch. PIE is ok but it's very slow compared to skyfire or Opera 9.

Having a large capacity SD card is a must have along with carrying your usb cable and charger (if you don't have a extended battery).

I also have spb video to import movies for when I'm on the go and chillin.
I play my movies with Core Player.

A weather program is good also, along with GPS software if you have enabled GPS on your PPC.

ny152 08-27-2008 02:15 AM

Palringo or Im+ for instant messaging...GS player for music.

Using a Mogul or Touch as laptop substitute... that's what I had in mind when I bought my Touch a month ago. The Touch was an upgrade to my previous Sprint phone and a replacement for an aging Ipaq. Now I've got the best of both in one device.

knollman 08-27-2008 11:30 PM

I have had the same idea in mind... didn't need to add any software for my purposes except SKYFIRE as a multimedia browser to handle the media that IE gagged on.

Hardware, though, is a different story. I added a bluetooth headset, a small bluetooth mouse, a folding, self-storing bluetooth keyboard, and a 4 gig microSD card-- all of which fit into a small case in by briefcase. This allows me all the functionality of my laptop -- and is much faster when I have serious documents to generate.

It is a great way to work when a laptop is just too much to lug, or when something comes up that has to be handled and I am away from a computer. The small case (smaller than a mini digital camera bag) is pretty much always with me.

rhannahs19 08-27-2008 11:43 PM

install myst and riven... great old classic PC games... email me if you need help with them rhannahs (at) gmail (dot) com

shadow-tech 08-28-2008 01:02 AM

set up a vnc server at home. that way u have a the power of a full blown computer at ur finger tips. also set up an ftp server so can transer files if u need to. there is also software out there that will email u when ur IP address at home changes. one is by guldev or something guldendev maybe? anyway u just tell it to email u at ur phone an it comes in as a text. ie 5555551234@messages.sprintpcs.com <-not real number or domain. copy the IP from the email/text and plug it into realvnc. works very fast but u need broadband at home and evdo on ur phone. not something everyone wants to pay for.

then dedicate a folder on you pc for ftp. using vnc save or drag and drop files into that folder. then use internet explorer on ur ppc to connect to ur ftp server. use the same IP aas u used for the VNC Viewer. url example ftp://user: password@64.342.124.56 <-fake IP no space after the ':'

just a thought