PPCGeeks

PPCGeeks (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/index.php)
-   HTC Titan (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=44)
-   -   Problems with Mogul freezing etc. (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=35686)

HTCotta 08-25-2008 02:39 PM

Problems with Mogul freezing etc.

Hey, I'm kind of new here, i've been on the forums for a month or two and have found some valuble info (thanks) and never had a need to post...until now. I'm running the official Sprint/HTC Rom with Sprint TV etc. and I do have quite a few third party programs and the phone is behaving strangly in that some applications cause the phone to freeze...but not completly. I can always get back to the home screen right away by pressing end and the start button also always works instantaneously. The program that seems to do this every time is just the OEM Notes program. Has anyone experienced anything like this? I know it's a longshot but any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for your time if you read all that and thanks in advance for your help if you're posting.

sinclairj75 08-25-2008 02:49 PM

Re: Problems with Mogul freezing etc.

Sounds like you are probably using quite a bit of memory in the phone which would cause your phone to act sluggish or freeze up. Look under system settings and see how much free memory you have. You may need to search for a clean up program like memmaid or something like it

HTCotta 08-25-2008 03:07 PM

I am currently running with 56% RAM free. I have the Oxios utilities to free up ram I do not believe that is the problem. The phone is very fast in almost every program there are just a few that freeze it and I don't know what the reason for this would be.

Geekcop 08-25-2008 03:11 PM

Welcome to Geekdom! The thing to remember about the Mogul/6800 is that it has a very limited amount of RAM, either 32 or 64 MB (don't remember which). Couple things you'll want to do. First, as sinclairj75 suggested is get a cleanup utility, either MemMaid or SKTools and get rid of the accumulated internet debris. This can take up a tremendous amount of space. Next, a task manager would be helpful. This will allow you to see if you have any programs running in the background,which will slow things way down. It will also allow you to actually close these programs. WM only minimizes programs when you "X" out of them. A couple suggestions are MagicButton (freeware), SmallMenu or WisBar.

HTCotta 08-25-2008 03:34 PM

Nothing is running, It doesn't appear to be a memory problem. I know about the X button not closing programs and i know how to end them. I have a task manager and it shows that nothing is running but when i try to read a message or go into notes the phone freezes kind of halfway between that screen and my today screen. I can get back to the today screen instantaneously by pressing end and everything works fine and fast as usual until i try messaging or notes again and they freeze up.

HTCotta 08-27-2008 12:10 AM

Bump. Any more ideas?

puff 08-27-2008 12:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HTCotta (Post 393600)
I do have quite a few third party programs and the phone is behaving strangly

Well, maybe its a conflict between programs... You could uninstall all your third party programs and then see if that fixes the problem. If not - then i'd say hard reset. From here w/ an OEM ROM your issue should be fixed, if not then cannot help. If that works, then install your programs one at a time and test to see if/when the problem re-occurs. The only thing is that sometimes, you wont see bugs/conflicts until after a few days while other times you'll see an issue immediately. Still even you install a few programs and then give it a day, and it messes up - then you know its one of those programs. Not sure what all you have installed, but ive packed quite a bit into a rom and never have an issue w/ notes. Then again i dont use it but occasionally. Anyway, just a few thoughts...

c@rL0$ 08-27-2008 12:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HTCotta (Post 393669)
Nothing is running, It doesn't appear to be a memory problem. I know about the X button not closing programs and i know how to end them. I have a task manager and it shows that nothing is running but when i try to read a message or go into notes the phone freezes kind of halfway between that screen and my today screen. I can get back to the today screen instantaneously by pressing end and everything works fine and fast as usual until i try messaging or notes again and they freeze up.

Maybe the programs you are using aren't fully compatible with WM 6.1.

I had issues with IM+ and HTC Home and had to get newer versions in order to stop the locking and the shutdown of the programs.

On another note. Where do you have your programs saved to? Main Memory or SD card. Make sure that you are not running out of memory on either. That could be an issue as well.

HTCotta 08-27-2008 12:56 AM

I was hoping it wouldn't come to a hard reset but if that's what i have to do i have a couple noob questions about it. I know how to do it and everything and i know it deletes everything. I already backed stuff up just in case but I was wondering will it go back to the original rom that came on the phone or will it revert to the 6.1 rom that I flashed on it. Also i will not need to re-activate it will I? (noobish I think but just covering my bases)

HTCotta 08-27-2008 12:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by c@rL0$ (Post 395355)
Maybe the programs you are using aren't fully compatible with WM 6.1.

I had issues with IM+ and HTC Home and had to get newer versions in order to stop the locking and the shutdown of the programs.

On another note. Where do you have your programs saved to? Main Memory or SD card. Make sure that you are not running out of memory on either. That could be an issue as well.

My programs are installed to the device and there is plenty of room left there. The cabs i used to install them are on the storage card but that doesn't matter does it?