PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Titan
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-05-2008, 08:50 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Verizon / HTC Touch Pro2
Carrier: Verizon

Protonus is becoming a PPCGeeks regularProtonus is becoming a PPCGeeks regularProtonus is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Send a message via ICQ to Protonus Send a message via AIM to Protonus Send a message via MSN to Protonus Send a message via Yahoo to Protonus
Re: 1800 mAH stock sized battery?

jmorton and others... Few things here, no particular order...

1.) 1800 mAH compared to 1500 mAH is a 20% increase over stock. That's virtually nothing. There is a good likelihood you'd never notice the difference even if there was one. If the Stock battery lasted 3 hours under "X" conditions, then the 1800 mAH battery would (theroetically) last 20% longer, which is only 3.6 hours - which is approximatly 35 minutes longer. If stock lasted 8 hours under "Y" conditions, then 1800 mAH battery would (theoretically) would last 9.6 hours, about an hour and a half longer.

2.) mAH is not the same concept as taking a container, and rating it for volume, IE: "this bottle is 2 liters". Batteries simply do not work that way. Here is a good explanation on batteries, charging rates, AH ratings, etc.
http://www.windsun.com/Batteries/Battery_FAQ.htm
Different companies may be measuring the mAH rating using different discharge currents. That throws the comparison right out the window. You really need to know their discharge current (ie, is it C/20, etc?) to know for sure if the comparison is fair.

3.) Batteries generally do not discharge in a linear fashion (as in they may discharge faster/slower at the start/end). You must start / stop testing at the same point in the charge cycle for accurate testing. I recommend starting at full charge, and running the device till it's dead. I would also record the start / end voltage.

4.) The relationship between current draw (demand, etc) - and how long the battery lasts, is ALSO not linear. This is due to the Peukert Effect. The higher the load / current draw / demand, etc, the FASTER the battery is discharged, relative to a lighter load. In other words, (random numbers/example), say you had a 500 mAH current draw on the phone, and the battery lasted 4 hours; you might be inclined to think that a 250 mAH current draw, might allow the battery to last 8 hours. That is NOT the case, in fact the smaller current draw will allow the battery to last even longer then anticipated.

As such it is CRITICAL when comparing batteries, that the discharge rate or current draw is known. An easy way to do this, would be to use a program like acbPowerMeter (it's free and graphs).
http://www.acbpocketsoft.com/Product...verview-2.html
I would do something like, enable Wi-Fi, and stream media continuously, and verify the average current draw. Run the battery dead doing this, verifying the same average current draw throughout. Then do the same thing again with the new battery. Remember testing is more accurate when you run multiple samples/tests and average.

5.) Batteries, even lithium rechargeables like this, have a break in period. You must completely discharge and recharge them several times, before their max life is obtained. There isn't a "memory effect" per se with Lithium, so it won't damage the battery to not fully discharge/recharge, but you won't see the maximum life until several cycles are completed. I would do this at least 10 times, for a fair comparison, on the new battery before "testing".

Hopefully this clears up some of the conjecture / noobery so that a fair comparison can be done...

Last thing I'll note, I have the stock battery, and I'm not thrilled at the performance. However, I didn't want to get an extended. So, instead, for around $4 shipped from ebay, I bought one of those retractable USB to mini 5pin usb cables. Like this:
http://cgi.ebay.com/USB-A-to-mini-US...QQcmdZViewItem
There are lots on ebay from many sellers. That's just the first I saw.
Retracts to a tiny assembly like 3" long that I can throw in my pocket. When extended it's 3 foot. Now I can charge my phone really anywhere - my xbox 360, any computer, laptop, any car / home charger that's usb... etc. Plus I can sync my phone or use nueMassStorage to access content on my SD card, virtually anywhere.. I keep one in my car, and one in my pocket all the time. USB provides around 500 mAH of charging power which is quite significant, if you're not drawing a lot of power on the phone while charging (ie turn off Wi-Fi, bluetooth, and cellular data connections while charging for best effect..)

Last edited by Protonus; 09-06-2008 at 01:07 AM. Reason: Fixed my awful spelling/grammer due to a hurried post.
This post has been thanked 3 times.
Old 09-05-2008, 11:20 PM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: Sprint Touch Pro 2
Carrier: Sprint

JimSmith94 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularJimSmith94 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularJimSmith94 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularJimSmith94 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularJimSmith94 is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitefreak View Post
I ordered the 1800mAh from Amazon for $9.99 but I received a 1500mAh. If you go back to the link that toinejuan posted you'll see they've changed the price to $42.01. I e-mailed them in hopes they'll honor the initial price that I paid.
I just got mine from that Amazon link today too, and it is also only 1500mAh! I rechecked my order online, and both it and the paper invoice in the package said 1800mAh.

The seller of mine (through Amazon) was Selectinventory, Inc. Did you email Amazon, the seller, or both?
Old 09-05-2008, 11:24 PM
Almost a VIP
Pocket PC: touch pro
Carrier: sprint

gorelow is keeping up the good workgorelow is keeping up the good workgorelow is keeping up the good work

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmorton10 View Post
I just received two of the 1800 batteries from PPCTECHS.

I will be a pretty good test, I drain the hell out of my batteries as I use Slingbox mobile for hours every day at work. My screen is basically never turned off all day & I have never gotten a full day out of any battery (including a 1650 Seidio)

~John
id love to know the results. i ahve this gorgeous mogul and i want to see the screen at full bright and run gps today but i wouldnt even think about doing these things and i have an extended batteries but not 1800. any price would be worth it i think to have freedom to do whatever you want, even if you had to charge it at night
Old 09-06-2008, 12:28 AM
Halfway to VIP Status

JimSmith94 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularJimSmith94 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularJimSmith94 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularJimSmith94 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularJimSmith94 is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimSmith94 View Post
I just got mine from that Amazon link today too, and it is also only 1500mAh! I rechecked my order online, and both it and the paper invoice in the package said 1800mAh.

The seller of mine (through Amazon) was Selectinventory, Inc. Did you email Amazon, the seller, or both?
I emailed the seller through Amazon and got this reply in about 10 minutes:
Quote:
Thank you for the message,

We did have a mistake where the batteries did mix up, the 1500 and the 1800.

I will ship you another one with the 1800, just keep the 1500 as a gift from us for the mistake.

-Sam
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 09-06-2008, 01:01 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Verizon / HTC Touch Pro2
Carrier: Verizon

Protonus is becoming a PPCGeeks regularProtonus is becoming a PPCGeeks regularProtonus is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Send a message via ICQ to Protonus Send a message via AIM to Protonus Send a message via MSN to Protonus Send a message via Yahoo to Protonus

Quote:
Nice! It's reasons like this I like buying things online... try getting service like that in a retail store!

I edited my previous post btw, added some links, a little more info, and fixed all the horrible spelling/grammer mistakes I made since I typed it in a hurry (in firefox, so no inline spell check).

Last edited by Protonus; 09-06-2008 at 01:08 AM.
Old 09-06-2008, 01:26 AM
N00b
Pocket PC: Touch Pro

Fitefreak is a n00b

Quote:
Yes, I emailed them directly too. They told me of the shipping error and are working on it but they have yet to tell me they're shipping me an 1800mAh. Hopefully they will.
Old 09-08-2008, 07:50 PM
N00b
Pocket PC: Titan
Carrier: VZ
Threadstarter

pleasestirme is becoming a great contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Protonus View Post
5.) Batteries, even lithium rechargeables like this, have a break in period. You must completely discharge and recharge them several times, before their max life is obtained. There isn't a "memory effect" per se with Lithium, so it won't damage the battery to not fully discharge/recharge, but you won't see the maximum life until several cycles are completed. I would do this at least 10 times, for a fair comparison, on the new battery before "testing".
Protonus is right the battery needs a break in period. Now that my battery seems to be even more broken in I am liking it alot better. My stock battery had about an 8 hour life where this one is lasting for more than 10 hours of typical use.

PleaseStirMe

Verizon XV6800
Unlocker---nueSPL-2.47
Radio------3.42.50
ROM-------DCD 4.1.2

Verizon XV6850
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 09-18-2008, 04:20 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC EVO 4G LTE

yachtspecco is just getting started

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitefreak View Post
Yes, I emailed them directly too. They told me of the shipping error and are working on it but they have yet to tell me they're shipping me an 1800mAh. Hopefully they will.
Ditto here. Amazon from Select Inventory and same promise. Any one who ordered one of these received the 1800 ma replacement they originally ordered yet?????
John
Old 09-18-2008, 05:04 PM
Halfway to VIP Status

I got this email from them this Tuesday:
Quote:
Thank you for bieng patient, all new battery orders have been sent out.
We do apologize for the mixup and within a few days, you should have the new and correct battery. We would like for you to keep the battery you have recieved as a gift from us for the mistake.
If anyone feels that they have been inconvienenced, please let us know, we will also offer you a refund. We take our business extremly seriously and expect that every customer is happy in dealing with us and with the quality of our communication, products, shipping and shipping time.
Please let us know if you need anything else.
Thank You so much.
-Sam from Selectinventory.
My mail hasn't come yet today, but I expect it in the next day or two. Seems like they wouldn't be sending out emails if they planned on scamming everybody.
Old 09-23-2008, 01:20 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC EVO 4G LTE

yachtspecco is just getting started

Quote:
I got this email from them this Tuesday:My mail hasn't come yet today, but I expect it in the next day or two. Seems like they wouldn't be sending out emails if they planned on scamming everybody.
I sent an email asking if it had been shipped as promised and they said it had so I am waiting also.
I received an email from Amazon today asking if I wanted to rate my transaction for an OEM 1500 ma HTC battery? They have done a switcheroo on the product description from when we all ordered the 1800 and it reflects in their correspondence.
John

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Titan