PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Titan

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-11-2008, 10:58 PM
Serving the Metro DC Area
Pocket PC: Thunderbolt,9530 (Blackberry)
Carrier: Verizon, Sprint

Adrianh85 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPAdrianh85 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPAdrianh85 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPAdrianh85 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPAdrianh85 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPAdrianh85 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPAdrianh85 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPAdrianh85 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPAdrianh85 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPAdrianh85 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPAdrianh85 is still contributing even after becoming a VIP
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Send a message via Yahoo to Adrianh85 Send a message via Skype™ to Adrianh85
pool page settings!!

what does this do right now I have my build set to 10 but I don't know what this setting does can someone please explain?
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 09-11-2008, 11:07 PM
The Pusher Man
Pocket PC: BB
Carrier: Sprint - Simply Everything

Lsme420 is halfway to VIP status based on repLsme420 is halfway to VIP status based on repLsme420 is halfway to VIP status based on repLsme420 is halfway to VIP status based on repLsme420 is halfway to VIP status based on repLsme420 is halfway to VIP status based on repLsme420 is halfway to VIP status based on repLsme420 is halfway to VIP status based on repLsme420 is halfway to VIP status based on repLsme420 is halfway to VIP status based on repLsme420 is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Re: pool page settings!!

• What is the page pool ?The page pool is a reserved area in memory for the windows mobile kernel.
    A ROM in a pocket pc is mainly divided into 2 parts (some other: IPL,SPL,ExtROM but forget it) :
    - The Kernel
    - The OS files (IMGFS)ETEN’s Pocket PCs do not have NOR/NAND ROM but a DiskOnChip that works like a SD card.
    The real problem is that the system can’t execute ROM files (including the kernel) directly into the DiskOnChip.
    It has to copy ‘pages’ of ROM into the RAM then execute them.
    In a PC world it is called ROM shadowing. To sum it up : the page pool is a container for pages of ROM shadowed in RAM.
  • Why changing its size ? Device manufacturers tend to choose a big pool size in order to have a pocket pc that can do a wide range of tasks.
    In pratice, most users do the same tasks : GPS mainly, some media, then a classical phone usage.
    Most users don’t need a big pool size but a lot of RAM.
Info from Here.
Old 09-12-2008, 12:14 AM
Threadstarter

Adrianh85 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPAdrianh85 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPAdrianh85 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPAdrianh85 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPAdrianh85 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPAdrianh85 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPAdrianh85 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPAdrianh85 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPAdrianh85 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPAdrianh85 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPAdrianh85 is still contributing even after becoming a VIP

so what are the pros and cons to having a pool page of 2 verse 10?

Old 09-12-2008, 01:58 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Droid
Carrier: Verizon

ajm144k knows their stuffajm144k knows their stuffajm144k knows their stuffajm144k knows their stuffajm144k knows their stuffajm144k knows their stuffajm144k knows their stuffajm144k knows their stuff

well dont use 2, but hypothetically if you had it set at 2 you would gain 8 more usable mb's of ram if it was moved from 10. or, if it was originally set at 6 (which i think is what most custom roms are at) and you move it to 4 you gain 2 megs of ram to use. this is the pro.

the con would be that some speed may be lost, it should be measurable but maybe not so noticeable. i think stability may be subject to vary as well.

you need to figure out how you use apps and how many megs the apps you use require. if you tend to keep programs open throughout your usage of your phone, setting your pagepool higher will keep your phone more stable and run smoother, but you will obviously have less available ram. this might be fine though, if all (or at least, some or most) of the apps you use are kept open you wont need too much free ram.

just to throw in what i use, i set mine to 6.5 since i keep Messaging open always. im left with anywhere from 18-20 megs free on dcd 3.2.6 after messaging is running.

(this is my understanding of pagepool, but please correct me if im wrong)

Last edited by ajm144k; 09-12-2008 at 02:02 AM.
Old 09-12-2008, 07:53 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Touch Pro II
Carrier: VZW

Seriously is becoming a PPCGeeks regularSeriously is becoming a PPCGeeks regularSeriously is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Talking Re: pool page settings!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajm144k View Post
well dont use 2, but hypothetically if you had it set at 2 you would gain 8 more usable mb's of ram if it was moved from 10. or, if it was originally set at 6 (which i think is what most custom roms are at) and you move it to 4 you gain 2 megs of ram to use. this is the pro.

the con would be that some speed may be lost, it should be measurable but maybe not so noticeable. i think stability may be subject to vary as well.

you need to figure out how you use apps and how many megs the apps you use require. if you tend to keep programs open throughout your usage of your phone, setting your pagepool higher will keep your phone more stable and run smoother, but you will obviously have less available ram. this might be fine though, if all (or at least, some or most) of the apps you use are kept open you wont need too much free ram.

just to throw in what i use, i set mine to 6.5 since i keep Messaging open always. im left with anywhere from 18-20 megs free on dcd 3.2.6 after messaging is running.

(this is my understanding of pagepool, but please correct me if im wrong)
I don't think your wrong, but , Im typing this on my Titan, and have messaging open and a couple of other progs open, and my phone is really fast!! Immediate action with no waiting....
I have pp set at 16, and still have 18Megs of ram left. This is all thanks to no2chem and his nueROM3. (ignore my signature...haven't changed it in a while).
When fresh boot, I have over 25Megs. I don't know about everybody else, but bigger pp and nueROM3 rox da house!!

Anyway, that's my 2 cents worth.
And by the way, Im clicking your 'Thanks', cause that was a very good question.

Seriously....

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 09-12-2008, 10:26 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Carrier: Verizon

ajm144k knows their stuffajm144k knows their stuffajm144k knows their stuffajm144k knows their stuffajm144k knows their stuffajm144k knows their stuffajm144k knows their stuffajm144k knows their stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seriously View Post
I don't think your wrong, but , Im typing this on my Titan, and have messaging open and a couple of other progs open, and my phone is really fast!! Immediate action with no waiting....
I have pp set at 16, and still have 18Megs of ram left. This is all thanks to no2chem and his nueROM3. (ignore my signature...haven't changed it in a while).
When fresh boot, I have over 25Megs. I don't know about everybody else, but bigger pp and nueROM3 rox da house!!

Seriously....
it makes complete sense that your phone is running fast.

with your pagepool set at 16, it seems right on track that you should be getting around 22-25 megs at boot on the nuerom3. that rom is a breakthrough for available ram, and since you are able to set your pagepool so high you can have messaging and other apps open and still have a very quick repsonse on your phone.
Old 09-12-2008, 11:19 AM
Threadstarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seriously View Post

Seriously....

with mine set to 10 i have 17.70meg free but with no ext rom. i asked this question to see if this setting was the reson that my moblie is frezing up while using pocket ie and pocket ie plus

this is the tread: http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=36869

but with all this information i dont think this has anything to do with my orginial problem but none the less this information was great!!!!

[FONT='Calibri','sans-serif'][/FONT]
Old 09-12-2008, 01:11 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Touch Pro II
Carrier: VZW

Seriously is becoming a PPCGeeks regularSeriously is becoming a PPCGeeks regularSeriously is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

Your welcome, from all of us Im sure.
I would highly recommended getting the nueROM3 kitchen and giving that a try. Iv'e had so many different roms on this thing, and this is the first time I'm not looking for a bew one......until nueROM4 comes out...lol
Old 09-12-2008, 03:56 PM
Threadstarter

where do i get this kithen from ? and can i put it in buildos to add my programs to it?
Old 09-13-2008, 01:00 AM
I see you have a PPC.
Carrier: Borged Alltel

MrObvious is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMrObvious is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMrObvious is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMrObvious is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMrObvious is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMrObvious is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMrObvious is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMrObvious is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMrObvious is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMrObvious is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMrObvious is still contributing even after becoming a VIP

www.ppckitchen.com

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Titan