PPCGeeks

PPCGeeks (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/index.php)
-   HTC Titan (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=44)
-   -   PPC 6800 text lag (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=35102)

birdy 08-17-2008 02:40 PM

PPC 6800 text lag

I am having pretty bad text lag when I type on and off and it's getting pretty obnoxious. Soft resets don't remedy the problem so I'm a little stumped.

My "setup"

Windows Mobile 6.1 rom
Spb Mobile Shell 2.1 w/ winmo 7 skin
SKtools 4.3.1 (latest version)
PHM Registry Editor
Dashwire
SomeGuy sMMS
HTC Performance

-------------

I just recently installed HTC Performance to try and fix the text lag. At 520 speed it seems to help a little but my phone is still not keeping up with how fast I type. I type as fast as anyone else who has had a 6700/6800 for more than a few years.

I've noticed a lot of complaints about the threaded SMS that comes factory with the 6.1 rom from Sprint. I personally love the threaded SMS but people are saying that it could be the reason it is laggy. I've only got about 300 texts in my directory right now and I'm at 65% memory usage with zero apps running.

I was wondering if anyone had any registry edits, hacks, etc... to speed any of the processes up. I've got memory to spare so I don't mind if it uses more memory to increase performance. Any help is appreciated.

birdy 08-18-2008 09:10 PM

Re: PPC 6800 text lag

No dice...

MrObvious 08-19-2008 03:25 AM

Disable threaded texting? Try cleaning your inbox and see if that helps.

I just flashed 20270 kitchen and it seems fast. Maybe you need an aftermarket ROM, particuarly based on one by no2chem.

oniisan608 08-19-2008 05:05 AM

The HTC Performance program you have installed doesn't do anything for the Mogul's chipset. It was written for older phones. Any speed boost you think you might be getting is merely placebo. No one's written or been able to write a program to overclock the Mogul.

As for your issue, running SPB Shell can sometimes slow things down just because it's a somewhat graphic intensive program.

Also, Unlike WinMo 2003, you can't sacrifice storage for memory.

I might suggest upping the GLYPHCACHE in your registry. A simple search will probably reveal which values will give the most benefit.

l2yangop 08-19-2008 11:16 AM

disable auto correct, spell check and whatever else might make the phone think before it types. that worked for me. i was beating my head off the desk for months...

birdy 08-19-2008 01:48 PM

Thanks for all the suggestions guys but the issue as been fixed.

A member over on SprintUsers directed me to this .cab via this site :p

http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showpost.p...59&postcount=9

MrObvious 08-19-2008 03:48 PM

Oh that too. :lol

So to summarize:
1) Disable the suggestions and autocorrect.
2) Go into the registry and adjust things like Glyphcache and FATFS cache.
3) Install the titan key fix cab.
4) Try a nice lean WM 6.1 if all else fails.

birdy 08-20-2008 01:38 PM

Can anyone recommend a good custom 6.1 rom? I don't use outlook at all and I think it'd be nice to not have it. I would however still like to be able to load my sbp mobile shell on there, if that matters at all.

Other programs I don't use are that audible air crap, get good, on demand, etc...

MrObvious 08-20-2008 01:54 PM

Just build your own with BuildOS. If you want you can try a no2chem but Kitchen is much cleaner because you can customize it. There is a tutorial floating around and if you hit us up in IRC we can help too.

birdy 08-20-2008 03:56 PM

I might read around and try a few things, I guess. I'm just iffy about doing things myself. It took me forever to have the balls to edit my own registry :p