PPCGeeks

PPCGeeks (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/index.php)
-   HTC Titan (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=44)
-   -   receiving data without service.?. (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=34929)

dschoenike 08-14-2008 11:42 PM

receiving data without service.?.

Greetings. i have a weird issue going on here, and i was hoping someone could explain whats happening. i have a mogul that had the service disconnected due to getting a new phone and transferring the number and plan to the new device. Just this evening i noticed the unactivated mogul had received a bunch of outlook emails. After messing around with it for a little while, i found out it cant make phone calls, cant send texts or emails, but can connect internet through the evdo connection. Im nowhere near a wifi hotspot, or router, and the wifi switch is off. can anyone explain how or why this is happening? im not complaing about this issue, but im wondering if ill get charged extra data fees because of it. thx guys.

GaMedic 08-14-2008 11:58 PM

Re: receiving data without service.?.

I have not heard of this. If you don't get charged that would rule. Free internet on the road. Tether your laptop anywhere for free. I am posting from Nashville, Tn. with my mogul tethered right now. It rules to have an internet connection anywhere you go, but free would be even more awesome. Dropping my Kid here for college. I don't know if I will be able to drag my wife away and leave him. Anyway sorry to barge off topic.

slaveforthewave 08-15-2008 12:06 AM

that is relatively normal, and i had never thought about using it for my betterment...

i used to sell Sprint, and after activating the new phone the new phone would often recieve text messages and emails for a few days until it was power cycled. i'm relatively sure that it will only accept incoming data and not transmit out. But if you make that happen... wow.

=D>

dschoenike 08-15-2008 12:26 AM

i appreciate the response guys. the old mogul was deactivated last thursday, and has been powered off and soft reset quite a few times since (removed the battery also). i had tried to see if i could use gps on it, but it wouldn't work with google maps and live search cause they need a data connection to load maps. both of those are working great tonight for some reason. It would be pretty cool to keep this going without any change on my sprint bill :)

jawxx 08-15-2008 12:46 AM

I didn't search. Kill me.

Is there a good thread guide on tethering the Mogul to a laptop for on-the-go net?

BenC 08-15-2008 12:56 AM

PDANet - www.junefabrics.com

lwrdrchvy2 08-15-2008 01:45 AM

Since the phone is still programmed with your phone number and the MSID it will recieve some of the information as will your active phone. Like Slave said it will only recieve incoming info, and shouldn't allow outgoing connections...If you want to stop it from recieving the msgs get the MSL for the phone and reset it using ##786# which will hard reset it but also delete the programming information that enabled it to work when it was active.

ronnieespinal 08-15-2008 03:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lwrdrchvy2 (Post 383228)
Since the phone is still programmed with your phone number and the MSID it will recieve some of the information as will your active phone. Like Slave said it will only recieve incoming info, and shouldn't allow outgoing connections...If you want to stop it from recieving the msgs get the MSL for the phone and reset it using ##786# which will hard reset it but also delete the programming information that enabled it to work when it was active.

sounds just about right

dschoenike 08-15-2008 08:18 AM

is there any chance ill be charged extra from sprint for the data im receiving on the old mogul? i deleted the email accounts, so those notifications have seemed to stop.

lwrdrchvy2 08-15-2008 01:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dschoenike (Post 383354)
is there any chance ill be charged extra from sprint for the data im receiving on the old mogul? i deleted the email accounts, so those notifications have seemed to stop.

No, you will not see additional charges. Once a new phone is activated on a number the old is no longer in the computer system and they cannot charge for something they can't see. It is known that msgs still go to old devices which is why they always say to turn your old phone off for at least 24 hrs.