PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Titan
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-05-2008, 07:24 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Mogul On MetroPCS and a Bricked XV6700

fred_dj is becoming a PPCGeeks regularfred_dj is becoming a PPCGeeks regularfred_dj is becoming a PPCGeeks regularfred_dj is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Is the GPS Supposed to work overseas no matter what? with or without service?

This is what I thought.... I traveled to south america and my GPS says seeking gps .... but no fixed sats. and it was working minutes before I left the us. My phone is on digital roaming, but it shouldnt matter right? I have a world map with tomtom nav, but no signal.... any thoughts? Thanks
Old 08-05-2008, 07:44 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Touch Pro
Carrier: Sprint

stifiling is becoming a PPCGeeks regularstifiling is becoming a PPCGeeks regularstifiling is becoming a PPCGeeks regularstifiling is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Send a message via Yahoo to stifiling
Re: Is the GPS Supposed to work overseas no matter what? with or without service?

i had the same issue using igo8 in the mountains. lost my signal but thought it was suppose to work anyhow because the maps are stored on the phone. didn't turn out that way.
Old 08-05-2008, 08:30 PM
N00b
Pocket PC: touch pro
Carrier: sprint

lghitis is a n00b
Re: Is the GPS Supposed to work overseas no matter what? with or without service?

No. It works only in US, Canada and I think Mexico.
Old 08-05-2008, 09:19 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: HTC Hero

arparent is becoming a PPCGeeks regulararparent is becoming a PPCGeeks regulararparent is becoming a PPCGeeks regulararparent is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Send a message via MSN to arparent

Its called Agps... The A is for Assisted. It uses Cell towers to orrient itself so that it can locate the satellites. Without a signal, it doesn't know which way to look.
Old 08-05-2008, 09:31 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: PPC-6800

JRider is just getting started

Quote:
Originally Posted by arparent View Post
Its called Agps... The A is for Assisted. It uses Cell towers to orrient itself so that it can locate the satellites. Without a signal, it doesn't know which way to look.
Not true. The Titan's GPS chip fully supports standalone GPS. I've used my GPS in areas where there is no cell phone service what-so-ever. Heck, I've even used it while 35,000 feet in the air.
Old 08-05-2008, 09:36 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Touch Pro

stifiling is becoming a PPCGeeks regularstifiling is becoming a PPCGeeks regularstifiling is becoming a PPCGeeks regularstifiling is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Send a message via Yahoo to stifiling

which gps software are u using...cause it didn't work using igo8
Old 08-05-2008, 09:42 PM
PPCGeeks Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by stifiling View Post
which gps software are u using...cause it didn't work using igo8
Well, the problem might be related to being on the other side of the earth. Any time I've used the GPS without phone service I've been in the United States. Several times in extreme Northern Michigan (without service), and several times on flights accross the country.

Maybe the GPS drivers (I'm not expert on this) don't include satelite lock information for satalites not in North America's sky. I could be wrong, and maybe someone with a Titan can chime in with success they've had away from North America. In theory the GPS chip can work without any phone service. But it might not know where to look for satelites when you're on another continent.

*Edit* I just saw you weren't the one who said you were overseas. You say you were in the mountains. I was just actually out in Colorado and drove in the Rocky Mountain National Park. I went in and out of service going up the mountains, and my TomTom 7 kept on going without a hitch.

Last edited by JRider; 08-05-2008 at 09:51 PM.
Old 08-05-2008, 09:42 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Droid X
Carrier: Verizon

Gulanowski is keeping up the good workGulanowski is keeping up the good work

I have gotten GPS locks with no signal before too, and I was uner the impression that it was standalone as well.
Old 08-05-2008, 09:50 PM
PPCGeeks Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gulanowski View Post
I have gotten GPS locks with no signal before too, and I was uner the impression that it was standalone as well.
Yeah, the chip in the Titan has the best of both worlds. It is A-GPS, but also supports Standalone. When in cell coverage, it can use the towers for faster satelite location, thus providing a faster lock. When out of coverage, it may take a little bit longer to get a lock, but is completely capable in this mode.
Old 08-05-2008, 11:22 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Imagio
Carrier: Verizon

Osteo is becoming a great contributor

Search is your friend. Multiple threads discuss that our GPSr is regionally dependent based on some registry setting. No one has successfully cracked the region code from what I remember.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Titan