PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Titan

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-04-2008, 03:48 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: 6800

Sellinghomes is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Help... Flash or Ram allocation for Mogul

Hi all,
I have the mogul and recently upgraded the software to CE OS 5.2.1629 Build 18136.0.4.8.

Since doing this, my phone has actually gotten slower. I want to know:

Is there a way to allocate some of the vast unused storage memory and move it over to the computing side of things for much more computing power?

I store everything on a storage card, so I am basically not using most of the Ram potential. Sprint said there is not any way to re-allocate this, but I figured someone out here has a hack or solution that will work safely.

Any help would be greatly appreciated?
Old 08-04-2008, 03:54 PM
Blabber mouth
Pocket PC: MoPho
Carrier: Sprint.... for now

cornelious2 should be added to the payroll for their contributionscornelious2 should be added to the payroll for their contributionscornelious2 should be added to the payroll for their contributionscornelious2 should be added to the payroll for their contributionscornelious2 should be added to the payroll for their contributionscornelious2 should be added to the payroll for their contributionscornelious2 should be added to the payroll for their contributionscornelious2 should be added to the payroll for their contributionscornelious2 should be added to the payroll for their contributionscornelious2 should be added to the payroll for their contributionscornelious2 should be added to the payroll for their contributions
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Re: Help... Flash or Ram allocation for Mogul

the problem here is that you are confusing ram and rom. The processing memory is ram and rom is the storage memory, although technically there is ways do this (at least on pc's as of windows 98 this was known as virtual memory) It would function sooooooooooooooooo slowly that it wouldn't be even remotely worth while.
Old 08-04-2008, 05:08 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: 6800
Threadstarter

Sellinghomes is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)

I thought I knew the differrence, but I was not sure how they play a part on a phone's system, which is what I believe is a flash (RAM) drive.? When I see people refering to different roms, what are they referring to? Are different roms just tweaked operating systems that small changes were made to the code?

If I follow the guide at the link you gave me, will I be able to adjust the amount of space used for storage versus computing power or will it be set at a different, yet predetermined level?

What will be different on functionality other than speed from a factory phone?

If I screw up my phone, is there a guaranteed way to get it back to factory settings? (using like a "ghost" software before I begin?)
Old 08-05-2008, 03:55 PM
Blabber mouth
Pocket PC: MoPho
Carrier: Sprint.... for now

cornelious2 should be added to the payroll for their contributionscornelious2 should be added to the payroll for their contributionscornelious2 should be added to the payroll for their contributionscornelious2 should be added to the payroll for their contributionscornelious2 should be added to the payroll for their contributionscornelious2 should be added to the payroll for their contributionscornelious2 should be added to the payroll for their contributionscornelious2 should be added to the payroll for their contributionscornelious2 should be added to the payroll for their contributionscornelious2 should be added to the payroll for their contributionscornelious2 should be added to the payroll for their contributions
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

As I state in my guide, I take no responsibility if you break the phone, but from what I read, pretty much every bad thing you can do is now reversible.

Basically you are correct about the customs roms, basically these roms are images of the windows mobile operating system with various custom drivers, programs, registry entries, etc. you can adjust a thing called the page pool when changing your roms, which would affect the free rom, but if you install a good rom (like no2Chems) you shouldn't need to bother with that untill you really get comfortable with the process and are trying to squeeze out ounces of performance.

If you are on sprint, its REALLY easy to get back to stock as on HTC's website you just download the exe, plug in your phone and run the exe. if your on verizon, its just a matter of downloading the stock rom from the ftp someware on here.

basically the more stuff you want running on your phone, the less free memory you will have free, you have to find the proper balance that works for you. If you have any issues going through my guide, just post there and I will do my best to help you or find someone that can. but since you are on sprint, it should be a really simple process as you don't need to worry if the sprint customizations run and whatnot.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Titan