PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Titan

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-03-2008, 05:34 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: 6800
Carrier: Verizon

topfuelweimar is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Question All I want is GPS w/ Stock Verizon SW

Maybe I've read too many articles, I've been browsing forums for a couple of days and might be thinking too hard about all of this. There certainly is a lot of information flowing around here and xda-developers.

I have a Verizon 6800 -- pure stock. All I want to do is add/enable GPS functionality so I can run Google Maps, MS Live, or other navigation software like TomTom.

Since this phone is for work, I MUST have all the built-in application functionality of Adobe Reader, Windows Office Mobile, etc. that comes stock on the phone.

Can someone tell me what EXACTLY I need to install?

This may seem too basic of a question, because I don't want to "customize" all the applications on the phone. I just want to enable GPS functionality.

My "stock" phone says ROM Version 2.09.605.8, date 8/03/07 and Radio version 1.30.60.

Thanks so much!
Old 08-03-2008, 05:38 PM
the magic mod
Pocket PC: 6700, 6800, 6900, 6950, TP2, iPad/iPod, Evo, Note3
Carrier: sprint

puff is a trusted member of the communitypuff is a trusted member of the communitypuff is a trusted member of the communitypuff is a trusted member of the communitypuff is a trusted member of the communitypuff is a trusted member of the communitypuff is a trusted member of the communitypuff is a trusted member of the communitypuff is a trusted member of the communitypuff is a trusted member of the communitypuff is a trusted member of the community
Re: All I want is GPS w/ Stock Verizon SW

The problem is that there is no 'stock' rom for verizon w/ GPS Radio... You must upgrade the Radio to 3.XX to enable gPS capability. Once you have done that though, you must also have a compatible ROM and Bootloader, and since the stock rom isnt' compatible you must select another option... there are choices though, including 'clean' roms and/or kitchen where you can make one very similiar to stock.
Old 08-03-2008, 05:39 PM
calash

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)

Since Verizon has yet to release a stock update with GPS your options are limited. The minimum you will need is to unlock the SPL, update the Radio, and load a ROM with the GPS function built in.

You can get a ROM with all the function of your stock Verizon build, but there is no way to just "add" GPS to what you have there.
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 08-03-2008, 05:42 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: 6800
Carrier: Verizon
Threadstarter

topfuelweimar is a n00b

I understood from all my reading that there was no "stock" Verizon package that would provide what I watned. By saying "stock" I was trying to describe the end-state of functionality I desire. I am / was hoping maybe someone has created something very, very similar to "stock" but with GPS.

If not, I basically need to use a "kitchen" to build something as close to factory 'stock' as possible?

Hopefully, someone has something nice, neat, and easy that can get me where I would like to be.

Thanks so much in advance.
Old 08-03-2008, 05:48 PM
the magic mod
Pocket PC: 6700, 6800, 6900, 6950, TP2, iPad/iPod, Evo, Note3
Carrier: sprint

puff is a trusted member of the communitypuff is a trusted member of the communitypuff is a trusted member of the communitypuff is a trusted member of the communitypuff is a trusted member of the communitypuff is a trusted member of the communitypuff is a trusted member of the communitypuff is a trusted member of the communitypuff is a trusted member of the communitypuff is a trusted member of the communitypuff is a trusted member of the community

Quote:
Originally Posted by topfuelweimar View Post
I understood from all my reading that there was no "stock" Verizon package that would provide what I watned. By saying "stock" I was trying to describe the end-state of functionality I desire. I am / was hoping maybe someone has created something very, very similar to "stock" but with GPS.

If not, I basically need to use a "kitchen" to build something as close to factory 'stock' as possible?

Hopefully, someone has something nice, neat, and easy that can get me where I would like to be.

Thanks so much in advance.
Yes. Exactly. I recommend trying different ROMs from diff chefs, then checking out the kitchen... Run each ROM for a couple of days or as long as you can stand it... the reason is that each chef generally cooks in their own fav applications/games/etc... For the 'bare-bones' ROM either no2chem or DCD is a good choice, but then again... with the kitchen you pick and choose apps to be included in the ROM, so if you need to hard reset - you dont hafta re-install them... You can prolly achieve your desired result, or at least one close to it... it will just take time and experimenting...
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 08-03-2008, 06:10 PM
dearls

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)

I have had a problem with stress and anxiety lately, and was very afraid of problems from flashing rom. well tired of waiting for slow *** verizon, I have decided to just go for it today. Holy Crap!!!! what a surprise! took about 30 minutes and worked great! no problems at all, didnt even have to call verizon for new a-key. thank you so much dcd, you are the man for sure when it comes to rom's. now going to start installing my software back and try out the new gps!. data connect if fast! ie is a super fast surprise and checked email with blazing speeds, will post more asfter i test gps etc. thanks again dcd, Don by the way I followed these instructions here in case anyone was wondering http://ppc.stoleyour.net/xv6800/
Old 08-03-2008, 11:11 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: VZW: Touch Pro2, Titan, Vogue, and Touch Pro
Carrier: Verizon Wireless

mdjkim is just getting started

you have to make some mods if you want to use the GPS

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Titan