PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Titan

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-29-2008, 11:34 PM
WP Heavy Rot Sloth
Pocket PC: Mogul, Touch Pro 1&2, Evo, PhotonQ
Carrier: Sprint

shaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIPshaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIPshaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIPshaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIPshaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIPshaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIPshaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIPshaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIPshaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIPshaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIPshaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIP
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Peltier Mod

I wanted to discuss this further, but it was getting off-topic in the nueRom report thread, so I thought I'd start a thread on this topic specifically.. (please move if this is the wrong area, but the titans have wifi, soo...)

From the report thread.
Quote:
Originally Posted by shaggylive View Post
I wanted to get a peltier and come up with a good way to mount it to the phone or vis-versa. my van doesn't have A/C and I always have one phone sitting on my dash running Navizon, using gps, cell, and wifi. hot potato anyone..
Quote:
Originally Posted by holo View Post
pletiers generate extra heat and unless you are exhausting that heat somehow with a heatsink and/or rapidly blowing air you will end up with an even hotter phone and/or a melted dash.... not to mention you will have to find a way to power hook it up to your car's power....
that's why I havn't done this yet, but I think it would be a decent idea, to prolong the life of our batteries and wifi chips.

I have seen some creations on the web for soda(beer) can coolers that use these, and I acually have an Igloo cooler that uses a peltier.

Ideas please.....
Old 07-29-2008, 11:54 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro 2

sl8763 is keeping up the good worksl8763 is keeping up the good work
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Re: Peltier Mod

A peltier seems way, way too complicated just to cool down the phone in your car.

Why not get a vent mount for the phone and just have the air blowing on it all the time? Even if it's just the fan and no A/C, that should dissipate some heat through airflow. You could also just get a portable fan like this and have it blowing on the phone:

http://salestores.com/ko4012vmicar.html

Out of curiosity, what do you use the WiFi for on the road, anyway? Wouldn't you have to switch networks like crazy?
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 07-30-2008, 12:24 AM
WP Heavy Rot Sloth
Threadstarter

shaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIPshaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIPshaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIPshaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIPshaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIPshaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIPshaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIPshaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIPshaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIPshaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIPshaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIP

Navizon pays to "map" wifi and cell signals. so my phone is plugged into power, using all the radio's 8-12hrs a day.

also my van is loud enough without the fan blowing (hard to talk on the phone even with windows up.) (yes I know I need a better headset)

I would just be nice to "forget about it" and have a peltier set to keep a constant temp.

If I get this set up, I will likely mount a weatherproof box on-top of my van for better reception. (with the heatsync vented)
also when I get my touch pro, I'll have a spare mogul I'd like to put in friend/fam car to make me more $, but I don't want them to have to do anything.. kindof a "black box" setup

edit: winter is coming and a peltier could also make sure it doesn't get too cold and crack the screen

Last edited by shaggylive; 07-30-2008 at 12:28 AM.
Old 07-30-2008, 12:32 AM
WP Heavy Rot Sloth
Threadstarter

yes, I know it may not seem nessasary, but I am a geek after all. and I have PLC equip/knowledge so controling it is the easy part..

I'm just not sure on the logistics of mounting it so it doesn't ruin the phone, and actually cool the battery/chip
Old 07-30-2008, 03:21 PM
Almost a VIP
Pocket PC: Evo Shift
Carrier: Sprint SEP 4G

elmerfudpucker knows their stuffelmerfudpucker knows their stuffelmerfudpucker knows their stuffelmerfudpucker knows their stuffelmerfudpucker knows their stuffelmerfudpucker knows their stuffelmerfudpucker knows their stuff
Send a message via MSN to elmerfudpucker

what about the cooler unit they use for laptop cpu? mount the heatsink and fan in your cradle and go.
"He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion."
Old 07-30-2008, 07:39 PM
WP Heavy Rot Sloth
Threadstarter

yea, apparently nobody gets it...

the sugestions are good, don't get me wrong, but I'm trying to avoid moving parts.

also, the hold up on this little project of mine is figuring out / deciding HOW to MOUNT such a thing to the phone..

so anybody got a suggestion on the best way to mount?
Old 07-30-2008, 07:48 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: vogue
Carrier: bell

frentraken is becoming a great contributor

would need to find your self a decent car mount that was maybe one of those gripping ones that have the foam to hold it in place, but deep enough to slide your peltier in behind the phone. But in all honosty a custom hack of a car mount and cooler would be required so would need to bust out a dremel, and other modding tools. Power may also be an issue since you need to run this and your phone, and I'm not sure your car power outlet will be able to run both properly.

So to sum it up there is no easy answer to your question.
Old 07-30-2008, 08:06 PM
WP Heavy Rot Sloth
Threadstarter

again, thanks for the suggestion, but I'm not tryin to mount in a "mount" rather TO the phone, as heat is transferred best if there is phyical contact....

soo, one thought of mine is to modd the battery cover so a heatsync/peltier actually touched the battery, but then again the battery has stickers on it....
also I really want to make sure the wifi chip stay's cool, so it will function for years to come. but I'm not sure just cooling the battery or having a fan blow on the phone would do this.
the other thought is to have a thin metal (copper) strip that gets sandwiched under the battery so it makes contact with the phone's metal sheild and the batteries metal casing.

EDIT; just so i'm clear, this is an "extra" phone and not my primary. so this would be for a "car phone" type setup or just simply a "black box".

Last edited by shaggylive; 07-30-2008 at 08:13 PM.
Old 07-30-2008, 08:12 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro 2

sl8763 is keeping up the good worksl8763 is keeping up the good work

How much are you earning from Navigon? It better be a lot to be worth all this! Please post pics of your setup when it is all done.
Old 07-30-2008, 08:16 PM
WP Heavy Rot Sloth
Threadstarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sl8763 View Post
How much are you earning from Navigon? It better be a lot to be worth all this! Please post pics of your setup when it is all done.
eh, it's not all about the $, but navizon has almost paid for this 2nd mogul. and after that it's all gravy..

I most definitely will post pics WHEN I do this.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Titan