PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Titan

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-30-2008, 08:58 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: vogue
Carrier: bell

frentraken is becoming a great contributor
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: Peltier Mod

Well if you don't mind hacking it up then pulling the thing apart and modding some heatsinks right onto the chips inside would be sufficient no colloer needed. If you want to cool battery(Which likely would be the worst culprit for heating up) I would say get a new battery door and you can mod the cooler into it. Yes it would be best to have direct contact but that isn't possible, and piece of copper would ore than likely cause the cooling fro the cooler to be diminished since the way the cooler is designed(At least should be) Would be to have a high thermal conductance on the top side anyways so no copper needed, and just cut the cooler down so you can have it pressed right up against the battery. I agree I want pics when done though :-p and I'm still a little worried about power but I can't remember what the adapters put out so not sure it'd be a huge issue.

Maybe if I can find one I'll try this with my 6700 that's sitting around :-p
Old 07-30-2008, 09:17 PM
WP Heavy Rot Sloth
Pocket PC: Mogul, Touch Pro 1&2, Evo, PhotonQ
Carrier: Sprint
Threadstarter

shaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIPshaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIPshaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIPshaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIPshaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIPshaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIPshaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIPshaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIPshaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIPshaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIPshaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIP
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)

well, I have my van already set up with a 2nd deep cycle battery and a isolator, and the phone would have it's own power adapter. the peltier's I have take strait 12vdc, but I may have to control that based on the cooling (or warming [in winter]) that's needed.

haha, ok, duh.. I can use the "hot" side of the pelt to vent over the screen so it will stay above freezing in winter.

yea, If taking the phone apart is "needed" I will likely try on my 6700 first... but that wifi chip seems to be pretty solid.
Old 07-30-2008, 09:29 PM
PPCGeeks Regular

Ya I honestly don't think you need to take it apart and heatsink any of the chips. I find any usage while battery is charging causes the heat so if you use the peltier to off set the heat on the battery you should be fine everywhere else. I'd at least start that way get a spare battery door and get the cooler mounted pressing to the battery.
Old 07-30-2008, 09:35 PM
WP Heavy Rot Sloth
Threadstarter

shaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIPshaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIPshaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIPshaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIPshaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIPshaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIPshaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIPshaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIPshaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIPshaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIPshaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIP

hmm, you might be right, and if so, I may head a completely different direction..

maybe, I'll mock up a slim heatsync to fit where the battery goes, and piggyback the battery outside... hmm...
Old 07-30-2008, 09:53 PM
PPCGeeks Regular

I was thinking myself if you could get the battery mounted outside the phone would be best, and if you could find a way of getting the phone to think it's got a battery but is connected right to the powersupply, with a relay set up so that when the car stops powering it it then switches to battery automatically(Probably cause a reset but might work) this way you get rid of the heating battery issue altogether since it isn't being charged hile in use anymore. Oh and I still don't think heatsink the battery will help much. At least unless you get a fan on there, and then you are back at where you might aswell have the peltier.
Old 08-09-2008, 11:50 PM
PPCGeeks Regular

So did you ever get anywhere with this, or back burner it?
Old 08-10-2008, 10:24 AM
WP Heavy Rot Sloth
Threadstarter

kinda back burnered, as I've been pretty busy lately. I did however aquire a mini-fridge/cooler that has the pelt already set up, would just need to decide how to have it make contact with battey/ect.. if I go that route...
one hold up I have is the fact that I don't have any car chargers that output more than 550mAh, and I can still run the phone dead if wifi's on.

I also found out last night that one of my friends is working @ interstate battery, so I may have some extra batteries to "play" with soon, for an external mod.
Old 08-10-2008, 11:13 AM
Retired Moderator
Pocket PC: NULL
Carrier: NULL

[sammich] can't get a higher reputation level[sammich] can't get a higher reputation level[sammich] can't get a higher reputation level[sammich] can't get a higher reputation level[sammich] can't get a higher reputation level[sammich] can't get a higher reputation level[sammich] can't get a higher reputation level[sammich] can't get a higher reputation level[sammich] can't get a higher reputation level[sammich] can't get a higher reputation level[sammich] can't get a higher reputation level

For my cooling solution, wrap my wrist strap around the cup holder which is above the air vent, and then I keep wrapping it until the mogul hangs perfectly in front of the cold air. No heat issues =]
Old 08-10-2008, 02:44 PM
N00b
Pocket PC: vz6900
Carrier: Verizon

Shadoh is a n00b

What were you going to do with the moisture the peltier would create? If you cool the parts inside your phone to a temperature that is lower than the surrounding air you would have condensation in your phone. Think of a soda can fresh from the vending machine sitting in your car. Do you get condensation on the outside of that can? Picture that happening inside your phone.
Old 08-10-2008, 02:58 PM
WP Heavy Rot Sloth
Threadstarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by saumaun View Post
For my cooling solution, wrap my wrist strap around the cup holder which is above the air vent, and then I keep wrapping it until the mogul hangs perfectly in front of the cold air. No heat issues =]
no a/c man
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadoh View Post
What were you going to do with the moisture the peltier would create? If you cool the parts inside your phone to a temperature that is lower than the surrounding air you would have condensation in your phone. Think of a soda can fresh from the vending machine sitting in your car. Do you get condensation on the outside of that can? Picture that happening inside your phone.
yea, I had pictured this, that's why I havn't done anything yet, and am still thinking about the whole thing... and actually, I think I may go another route, but I may use the pelt to cool an enclosure for the phone..

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Titan