PPCGeeks

PPCGeeks (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/index.php)
-   HTC Titan (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=44)
-   -   well CRAAAP! water logged phone (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=33253)

nursemm05 07-28-2008 11:56 AM

well CRAAAP! water logged phone

Can anyone help? I dropped my phone in water and at first I thought it was going to be ok. It booted up and got to the animation screen then went black. I took the battery out and wiped everything down and used the blow dryer on it for a few minutes. Put battery back in and pressed power button. Screen came on until animation screen then went black. But here's the funny part, it continued to boot up because I heard the start up sound. I tried to connect it to my PC thinking the screen was just dead but no such luck. I've got it under the dryer right now so hopefully it will dry out some more. Anyone have any other suggestions? Other than go buy a new phone? :P can't afford a new one right now and I NEED this one. For starters I have no alarm clock... my phone gets me up for work and it's almost bedtime.

arparent 07-28-2008 12:08 PM

Re: well CRAAAP! water logged phone

Put it in a container full of dry rice for a few days... then give it a shot.

nursemm05 07-28-2008 12:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by arparent (Post 363176)
Put it in a container full of dry rice for a few days... then give it a shot.

that doesn't really help me... but I think it was an honest attempt to help. I did manage to get it to boot up but I have no touch screen and a dim screen at that. At least I got it up and running and synced again with my PC so I can go to sleep and have it wake me up to go to work tonight. Hopefully it will look better this evening...

Bradleyj44 07-28-2008 12:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nursemm05 (Post 363183)
that doesn't really help me... but I think it was an honest attempt to help. I did manage to get it to boot up but I have no touch screen and a dim screen at that. At least I got it up and running and synced again with my PC so I can go to sleep and have it wake me up to go to work tonight. Hopefully it will look better this evening...

I'm sorry about ur phone:silent:, that's exactly what happend to mine with my 6700, i unfortunantly dropped mine in the toilet FTW, and it would turn on but the screen was completley blank for about a week, then once the screen came back the touch screen did not work at all and about 4 or 5 keys DID work on the keyboard. I'm sorry but you may want to look into a new phone, even call the carrier you have and see if they will help you out in anyway if you didnt get the insurance.sprint gave me a free B.S. phone while i was waiting for a new one

lvgdgts 07-28-2008 01:14 PM

At this point,best to take the battery out and place it on a low heat-generating piece of eqpt(e.g. TV or fridge) with the keyboard slid out for 3-7 days. If it dries well enough, you might get full function back. Good luck.

subhumanderelict 07-28-2008 01:15 PM

I'm sorry to hear about your phone as well, but stop using the hair dryer now, if you haven't already. This is a common mistake a lot of people make. Hair dryers can force the moisture further in and damage more components.

http://www.wikihow.com/Save-a-Wet-Cell-Phone

akastixx 07-28-2008 01:29 PM

rice, rice baby.

it works... but at the same time, you should have kept the phone off until it was drier/fully dry. if all else fails, hopefully you have or can get insurance on it and file a claim.

drunkinmonk 07-28-2008 01:34 PM

no to hair dryer s
yes to rice or silica packages that they use to absorb moisture in beef jerky or other items.
good luck sorry to hear about your ph

nicollemyspace 07-28-2008 01:39 PM

Ive made that same mistake once. Dropped my phone in the toilet, then tried to power it on with out having it fully dried. It was a POS Red Rrzr.

I've had the same exact problem with my Mogul. The freakin cat knocked a cup of water on it. I rushed to the bathroom and used my hair drier on it untill it was COMPLETELY dry. Everything. The keyboard, the battery, and the device. Powered it up and it worked just fine!

scruppo 07-28-2008 02:08 PM

I had a 6600 that I dropped in a creek. It was 3' under for about a full minute. I took the battery out and put it in the oven at the lowest setting for about 4 hours. I took it out and let it cool down and it worked perfectly.