PPCGeeks

PPCGeeks (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/index.php)
-   HTC Titan (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=44)
-   -   Vista Mobile question. Need Help ASAP (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=32757)

iceman72 07-23-2008 12:15 AM

Vista Mobile question. Need Help ASAP

Hey folks I just got my new computer today and like a tard I did not do any research on vista and active sync. Anyway I downloaded the new Vista mobile. Hooked it up to my 6800 no problem. Synced it several times. So I know my contacts are on the computer. But after taking the new 6800 update the freakin vista mobile thinks I have another phone and whalla. No contacts. Is there a way to tell vista mobile that this is the same phone and to put the contacts on it? Please help if not I am up ****s creek with out a paddle.:disgust:

banzaiwolfe 07-23-2008 12:50 AM

Re: Vista Mobile question. Need Help ASAP

I always just named my phone the same in the Mobile Device Center whenever I reinstalled the phone, never had an issue with syncing the contacts that way. You do have some form of Outlook installed, right? I think that might be a requirement to sync contacts.

Another option for backing up your contacts (not much help at the moment) is Dashwire (http://www.dashwire.com)

flyers2114 07-23-2008 12:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by iceman72 (Post 357548)
Hey folks I just got my new computer today and like a tard I did not do any research on vista and active sync. Anyway I downloaded the new Vista mobile. Hooked it up to my 6800 no problem. Synced it several times. So I know my contacts are on the computer. But after taking the new 6800 update the freakin vista mobile thinks I have another phone and whalla. No contacts. Is there a way to tell vista mobile that this is the same phone and to put the contacts on it? Please help if not I am up ****s creek with out a paddle.:disgust:

Do you have Outlook on the computer if not where are the Contacts going? Did you see the contacts or are you just assuming they are saved? Even though it created a new mobile device name it will still pick up the phone....I am thinking that the Contacts were never saved in the first place but I could be wrong.....If they are saved somewhere try adding a contact to the phone and then sync it again....sometimes this works...also play with the sync settings......WMDC is very unstable....basically it works sometimes and other times not....I use PIM backup and I also keep my contacts on 2 XP machines to be safe.....thats how much faith I have in WMDC....

iceman72 07-23-2008 01:12 AM

While discussing this with the misses I realized that I may be able to re-sync it with my old computer. If I can just get it to get in windows. It's a 50-50 shot so I am gonna give that a whirl.

THanks folks

In the mean time I need to install office on this thing so I can have outlook on it. I cant have this happening every time I redo my phone. This vista is starting to drive me nuts.

flyers2114 07-23-2008 01:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by iceman72 (Post 357606)
While discussing this with the misses I realized that I may be able to re-sync it with my old computer. If I can just get it to get in windows. It's a 50-50 shot so I am gonna give that a whirl.

THanks folks

In the mean time I need to install office on this thing so I can have outlook on it. I cant have this happening every time I redo my phone. This vista is starting to drive me nuts.

To be safe if you recover them....if not after you re-create them....use this file....create a backup folder on your storage card....and back it up every so often....then your contacts are also in another safe place....as I said WMDC is very flaky at times....

Tyorik 07-23-2008 02:48 AM

I was in this same situation (Ha... I mean... Am, currently) and have given up hope. My question is, to avoid this hassle in the future, can I use PIM Backup even if I plan on upgrading the ROM? I heard a rumor before that PIM can only be used to backup and restore contacts from the same ROM version. If this is untrue, not only will I hate myself, but I'll install it ASAP.

flyers2114 07-23-2008 09:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tyorik (Post 357661)
I was in this same situation (Ha... I mean... Am, currently) and have given up hope. My question is, to avoid this hassle in the future, can I use PIM Backup even if I plan on upgrading the ROM? I heard a rumor before that PIM can only be used to backup and restore contacts from the same ROM version. If this is untrue, not only will I hate myself, but I'll install it ASAP.

It is definitely not true.....I use it all the time and have flashed at least 50 different ROMS....Just make sure you save the program and backup file to the storage card....

iceman72 07-23-2008 01:27 PM

many thanks guys. i am going to try doing something in a lil bit. i am just so annoyed from last night that I have to get up some balls to venture out and work on my phone again.

iceman72 07-23-2008 08:58 PM

Again thanks folks. I finally after about 3 hours was able to get that POS computer up and running and was able to pull my contacts off it. Then I installed that pim backup app and it did it's magic. You guys are a life saver.

flyers2114 07-23-2008 09:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by iceman72 (Post 358579)
Again thanks folks. I finally after about 3 hours was able to get that POS computer up and running and was able to pull my contacts off it. Then I installed that pim backup app and it did it's magic. You guys are a life saver.

Anytime bro....I know how it is to lose contacts....I have over 400 of them and would be lost if I could not retrieve them....glad you got it fixed!!!