PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Titan
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-11-2008, 02:52 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Touch Pro
Carrier: Sprint

m_reyna_16 is becoming a great contributor
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Tethering Questions - PLEASE HELP!!!

I have two basic questions.....

First off, let me give you guys a lil info on what im running and doing....

I have a sprint mogul aka titan, and i am running on the new 3.56 sprint rom. I have done the tweaks for the tethering and was wondering...

1) Whenever I use the built in Internet Sharing program, all I get to select is the PC Connection (in which im using a USB connection) but no drop arrow/rectangular box that asks me whether I want to use the Sprint PCS connection or Phone as Modem option. Although whenever it dials #777, it says that it is connected to the Sprint PCS. Should i worry since I dont have that option???

2) My connection with my laptop only lasts for about 30 sec and need to disconnect and connect everytime, meaning I dont get a good connection time. Am i doing something wrong that I need to change or what is the problem??? Does anybody know how to fix this???

Thanks in advance, Mike.
Old 07-11-2008, 12:03 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro
Carrier: Sprint (SERO)

qbunnie is becoming a great contributor
Re: Tethering Questions - PLEASE HELP!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by m_reyna_16 View Post
I have two basic questions.....

First off, let me give you guys a lil info on what im running and doing....

I have a sprint mogul aka titan, and i am running on the new 3.56 sprint rom. I have done the tweaks for the tethering and was wondering...

1) Whenever I use the built in Internet Sharing program, all I get to select is the PC Connection (in which im using a USB connection) but no drop arrow/rectangular box that asks me whether I want to use the Sprint PCS connection or Phone as Modem option. Although whenever it dials #777, it says that it is connected to the Sprint PCS. Should i worry since I dont have that option???

2) My connection with my laptop only lasts for about 30 sec and need to disconnect and connect everytime, meaning I dont get a good connection time. Am i doing something wrong that I need to change or what is the problem??? Does anybody know how to fix this???

Thanks in advance, Mike.
What tweaks in particular have you done?
Also, in the 3.56 ROM the only data connection available is Sprint PCS. This has been discussed a lot, and I think that it was discovered that NAI is not really tied down to the connection (Sprint PCS vs Phone as Modem) and more with the username and password being used (something you don't really see as a user).
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 07-11-2008, 01:24 PM
PPCGeeks Regular

ndnygaard is becoming a great contributor

much easier to use PDAnet
Old 07-12-2008, 06:35 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Threadstarter

Also, in the 3.56 ROM the only data connection available is Sprint PCS. This has been discussed a lot, and I think that it was discovered that NAI is not really tied down to the connection (Sprint PCS vs Phone as Modem) and more with the username and password being used (something you don't really see as a user).[/quote]

the following are the hacks that i have made....

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Comm\InternetSharing]
"Extension"="rilphone.dll"

HKLM\Comm\InternetSharing
Delete this string: Extension - isext.dll

HKLM\Comm\InternetSharing\Settings\ForceCellConnection
Change from "Phone As Modem" to "Sprint PCS" <<NO QUOTES

HKCU\Software\Microsoft\InternetSharing\LastCellConnection
If it displays "Phone as Modem" change it to "Sprint PCS" <<NO QUOTES if it does not already say "Sprint PCS"

and like i said, i dont get any drop down menu to select "Sprint PCS" or "Phone as Modem". also, i just noticed yesterday that my internet connection is always on, does this have to do with these hacks??
Old 07-12-2008, 06:39 PM
PPCGeeks Regular

ndnygaard is becoming a great contributor

I gave up on the internet connection sharing...I loaded PDANET 2.0 worked great the first time and everytime.
Old 07-14-2008, 02:37 PM
PPCGeeks Regular

Quote:
Also, in the 3.56 ROM the only data connection available is Sprint PCS. This has been discussed a lot, and I think that it was discovered that NAI is not really tied down to the connection (Sprint PCS vs Phone as Modem) and more with the username and password being used (something you don't really see as a user).

the following are the hacks that i have made....

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Comm\InternetSharing]
"Extension"="rilphone.dll"

HKLM\Comm\InternetSharing
Delete this string: Extension - isext.dll

HKLM\Comm\InternetSharing\Settings\ForceCellConnection
Change from "Phone As Modem" to "Sprint PCS" <<NO QUOTES

HKCU\Software\Microsoft\InternetSharing\LastCellConnection
If it displays "Phone as Modem" change it to "Sprint PCS" <<NO QUOTES if it does not already say "Sprint PCS"

and like i said, i dont get any drop down menu to select "Sprint PCS" or "Phone as Modem". also, i just noticed yesterday that my internet connection is always on, does this have to do with these hacks??
Hmmm. Well, I dunno about those last 2 hacks, I've never used them. I deleted my PAM choice and deleted the CM_Guardian file to keep it from reappearing. But like i said, it doesn't look like NAI is tied down to that.
when it disconnects do you get an error? if so, what error?
The internet connection being always on isn't probably due to any of those hacks, but more likely if you have push mail going to your phone. Or if you poll any email/web services.
Finally, a lot of users have switched to PDANet as an alternative. Yes, it is $34, but it is a one time cost, and it seems like the safest choice to keep sprint from screwing you. I've been using it for a while, and its pretty fast and stable. You might want to take a serious look into it. the user interface is very simple, something everyone can appreciate.
Old 07-15-2008, 08:20 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Threadstarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by qbunnie View Post
Hmmm. Well, I dunno about those last 2 hacks, I've never used them. I deleted my PAM choice and deleted the CM_Guardian file to keep it from reappearing. But like i said, it doesn't look like NAI is tied down to that.
when it disconnects do you get an error? if so, what error?
The internet connection being always on isn't probably due to any of those hacks, but more likely if you have push mail going to your phone. Or if you poll any email/web services.
Finally, a lot of users have switched to PDANet as an alternative. Yes, it is $34, but it is a one time cost, and it seems like the safest choice to keep sprint from screwing you. I've been using it for a while, and its pretty fast and stable. You might want to take a serious look into it. the user interface is very simple, something everyone can appreciate.
ok so the internet always being on is because i have my email setup on my phone, thats that and all i want to know that if with this program, will i get charged for using it???? in other words, i have the unlimited internet plan and if i use pdanet, will sprint know im using my device as a modem (i dont want to get charged)??? thats all i want to know....
Old 07-16-2008, 03:01 PM
PPCGeeks Regular

Quote:
ok so the internet always being on is because i have my email setup on my phone, thats that and all i want to know that if with this program, will i get charged for using it???? in other words, i have the unlimited internet plan and if i use pdanet, will sprint know im using my device as a modem (i dont want to get charged)??? thats all i want to know....
Nothing's guaranteed of course, but that is one of the main selling points of PDANet. They make it appear that you are simply browsing on your phone when you are in fact tethering. It is also how they get around regular tethering blocks. It is probably safer than most reg hacks, since it circumvents the whole NAI thing in the first place. I use it and my bills are still at $30 plus tax. However, I would be careful of OVERusing it. If you blow past gigabytes of data in a month, it will likely throw up a red flag. So pretty much don't torrent, and you should be fine. And if you do use a ton of data and Sprint harasses you for it, tell them that you were using Slingbox or Orb. Those are both legit applications that are super bandwidth intensive.
To tell the truthe, I don't think too many people have ever actually gotten charged for tethering... Most just can't do it, with error codes and what not. Anyhow, keep the hacks, they probably can't hurt, and if I was a betting man, PDANet is the way to go.
Old 07-18-2008, 01:27 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Threadstarter

Quote:
Nothing's guaranteed of course, but that is one of the main selling points of PDANet. They make it appear that you are simply browsing on your phone when you are in fact tethering. It is also how they get around regular tethering blocks. It is probably safer than most reg hacks, since it circumvents the whole NAI thing in the first place. I use it and my bills are still at $30 plus tax. However, I would be careful of OVERusing it. If you blow past gigabytes of data in a month, it will likely throw up a red flag. So pretty much don't torrent, and you should be fine. And if you do use a ton of data and Sprint harasses you for it, tell them that you were using Slingbox or Orb. Those are both legit applications that are super bandwidth intensive.
To tell the truthe, I don't think too many people have ever actually gotten charged for tethering... Most just can't do it, with error codes and what not. Anyhow, keep the hacks, they probably can't hurt, and if I was a betting man, PDANet is the way to go.
thanks alot, youve been a great help!!!
Old 07-18-2008, 03:05 AM
Lurker

tenebrion is a n00b

Quote:
I thought it was just #777? I do notice using as a bluetooth modem, #777 disconnects after about 10 min of use or so.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Titan