PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Titan
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-10-2008, 06:53 PM
Lurker

nuenglandrush is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
get rid of crapware?

Hi Guys,

I just installed the newest STOCK ROM that will be shipped with all new sprint Titans (ROM v3.56) and have had no problems so far. However, I wanted to know if there are any tutorials/articles/or posts that show you how to get rid of all the EXTRA crap that is delivered with the new ROMs.

By the way, I did search, however, I couldn't find what I was looking for... maybe I am not using the correct search terms? (i searched for: "clean stock roms" -- without the quotes).

Thanks!

-N.E.R.d
Old 07-10-2008, 11:39 PM
Jedi Master
Pocket PC: Touch Pro2
Carrier: Sprint

Darkjedi is halfway to VIP status based on repDarkjedi is halfway to VIP status based on repDarkjedi is halfway to VIP status based on repDarkjedi is halfway to VIP status based on repDarkjedi is halfway to VIP status based on repDarkjedi is halfway to VIP status based on repDarkjedi is halfway to VIP status based on repDarkjedi is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Re: get rid of crapware?

one way, which you may have done already is to prevent the customization from running.

In order to do this you have to hard reset your ppc and when the dialog box comes up saying "customization will start in ## seconds" soft reset the device. I've done this for all my ROMs as I've only run official Sprint ROMs and haven't had a problem. There are still some things like the e Java thingy, Voice Speed Dial and I believe a music store, but I've deleted the shortcuts to all those as I never use them and have no idea what Java even does...

If you are willing to run cooked custom ROMs you can find much more cleaner and slimmer ROMs by no2Chem which have additional functionalities. From what I understand you are able to build your own ROMs as well and pick and choose what you want included.

Last edited by Darkjedi; 07-10-2008 at 11:42 PM.
Old 07-11-2008, 08:30 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: ppc-6800

peterm20 is keeping up the good workpeterm20 is keeping up the good work

The java shortcut is the "applications" on the old i believe brew phones. its where opera mini and gmaps go for me when i download the generic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkjedi007 View Post
one way, which you may have done already is to prevent the customization from running.

In order to do this you have to hard reset your ppc and when the dialog box comes up saying "customization will start in ## seconds" soft reset the device. I've done this for all my ROMs as I've only run official Sprint ROMs and haven't had a problem. There are still some things like the e Java thingy, Voice Speed Dial and I believe a music store, but I've deleted the shortcuts to all those as I never use them and have no idea what Java even does...

If you are willing to run cooked custom ROMs you can find much more cleaner and slimmer ROMs by no2Chem which have additional functionalities. From what I understand you are able to build your own ROMs as well and pick and choose what you want included.
Old 07-11-2008, 10:19 PM
Lurker

cottenr is a n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuenglandrush View Post
Hi Guys,

I just installed the newest STOCK ROM that will be shipped with all new sprint Titans (ROM v3.56)....
Where did you get 3.56? I can only find 3.35 on HTC's website.
Old 07-12-2008, 09:02 PM
Jedi Master

Darkjedi is halfway to VIP status based on repDarkjedi is halfway to VIP status based on repDarkjedi is halfway to VIP status based on repDarkjedi is halfway to VIP status based on repDarkjedi is halfway to VIP status based on repDarkjedi is halfway to VIP status based on repDarkjedi is halfway to VIP status based on repDarkjedi is halfway to VIP status based on rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cottenr View Post
Where did you get 3.56? I can only find 3.35 on HTC's website.
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=402887

It's the 'leaked' but official shipped version of the new Sprint ROM. Sprint hasn't released this version publicly yet, but its relatively safe to say that this is the one they will be releasing in the coming weeks.
Old 07-14-2008, 10:18 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro

Twinsen is becoming a great contributor
Send a message via ICQ to Twinsen Send a message via AIM to Twinsen Send a message via Yahoo to Twinsen

I had tried this once before when the first ROM that had GPS functionality came out, and the GPS wouldn't work for me when I soft reset before the custom apps are loaded. I re-did the flash without resettig, and GPS worked fine...
Old 07-14-2008, 03:08 PM
Jedi Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twinsen View Post
I had tried this once before when the first ROM that had GPS functionality came out, and the GPS wouldn't work for me when I soft reset before the custom apps are loaded. I re-did the flash without resettig, and GPS worked fine...
GPS works perfectly for me without customization. In fact for 3.35, customization supposedly screwed up the GPS where it would take 30-60 seconds to lock on instead of the less than 10 it's supposed to. There was a couple of regedits/tweaks to fix this issue posted a little while back. I wouldn't know if there were the case, as I've run the phone without customization basically the day I got it.
Old 07-15-2008, 09:45 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro

Twinsen is becoming a great contributor
Send a message via ICQ to Twinsen Send a message via AIM to Twinsen Send a message via Yahoo to Twinsen

I'll give it a shot the next time I flash.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Titan