PPCGeeks

PPCGeeks (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/index.php)
-   HTC Titan (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=44)
-   -   Odd battery charging issue (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=31067)

Silent_Patriot 07-04-2008 01:43 AM

Odd battery charging issue

I have noticed that the battery charge LED on my XV6800 will intermittently change from green, indicating a full charge, to flashing orange when connected to USB and tethering. The power meter indicates that it is not charging the battery when this happens, then within a few minutes it will switch back to charging again. This usually happens once or twice a day and I've only noticed it happen after it has reached a full charge.

Is it possible that the battery is overheating and this is by design, or is something wrong? The bottom of the unit is rather warm when it occurs. Has anyone else had the same issue?

Running PPCGeeks 19588 kitchen with 3.42.30 radio.

buckguin 07-04-2008 02:35 AM

Re: Odd battery charging issue

Mine does that too although Im not sure of the situation.. I guess its not hurting anything.. Your overheating theory sounds reasonable.. The phone does get pretty hot while charging..

arparent 07-04-2008 03:47 AM

Yes, I beleive this is due to over heating. Especially when tethered, your PPC puts out a lot of heat. I have had the same issue before. I run my phone connected to EVDO, bluetooth headphones, and streaming internet radio all day long, and I occasionally have this happen as well. I've noticed it acts up more since we've started getting warmer weather, and my workspace has been between 85 and 90 degrees.

Silent_Patriot 07-04-2008 03:56 AM

Thanks for verifying. I called UTStarcom tech support the other day, but they couldn't provide an explaination for the behavior.

Recently ordered an OEM cradle w/xtra battery so I'll be able to do some comparison testing and think that standing it up in the cradle will allow it to cool better too.

jameswho 07-04-2008 12:35 PM

I've been having the same problem with my mogul and my i go car charger sometimes it charges then it just heats up the phone wiht no charge at all yesterday I saw a purple light and did not know what that meant

arparent 07-04-2008 03:02 PM

Purple?! No idea what that means.

jaak 07-05-2008 01:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Silent_Patriot (Post 336367)
Is it possible that the battery is overheating and this is by design, or is something wrong? The bottom of the unit is rather warm when it occurs. Has anyone else had the same issue?

USB ports on most, if not all, computers are limited to a maximum output of 500mA current (in fact, on many USB controllers are designed to shut off the port if a device tries to draw more than 500mA). The A/C adapter that comes with the 6800 is rated for 1000mA. I would guess that under some circumstances when the 6800 needs more power than the USB port can provide it stops charging the battery and thus the LED reflects that.

As far as I've read, a red LED indicates a battery overheat condition (although I've never seen that myself).

jameswho 07-05-2008 03:07 AM

so when your battery over heats what should you do?

shaggylive 07-05-2008 03:31 AM

for starters, unplug from power, turn of wifi, bluetooth, ect.. could remove the battery cover so it can breath.. not sure if pulling the battery would be healthy though..

jaak 07-05-2008 03:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jameswho (Post 337111)
so when your battery over heats what should you do?

Ideally, you should remove the battery from the phone and let it cool down. Lithium ion batteries can explode if they get too hot.