PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Titan
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-28-2008, 01:57 AM
Noob
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro
Carrier: Sprint SERO

Baffles can't get a higher reputation levelBaffles can't get a higher reputation levelBaffles can't get a higher reputation levelBaffles can't get a higher reputation levelBaffles can't get a higher reputation levelBaffles can't get a higher reputation levelBaffles can't get a higher reputation levelBaffles can't get a higher reputation levelBaffles can't get a higher reputation levelBaffles can't get a higher reputation levelBaffles can't get a higher reputation level
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Send a message via AIM to Baffles
GPS Launcher

BAF's GPS Launcher, Current version: 0.1-test
No more running Google Maps in the background!
So, this app will basically let you run an app that is not coded to work with the GPS intermediary driver that is currently being used on 3.16, such as TomTom/iGo/miomap/etc.

It's pretty basic in functionality, but it gets the job done for now. The next revision of this will end up being a background service on the phone that automatically enables GPS as needed, but for now, this is a better solution than running gmaps/holodux/etc in the background.

To use it, just download it (link below), copy it anywhere on your device, and run it. It will give a configuration error on the first run, just hit OK and a window will come up. Put in the path to your GPS app (full path, such as \Windows\Tomtom Navigator.exe or \Program Files\iGo\iGo.exe), adjust the timeout if you need to (timeout is the length of time the launcher keeps the GPS port open before killing itself), then hit save. Now, whenever you run the exe, it will set up GPS, then launch the specified app.

It should work for the most part, but there may be some sneaky bugs in there as I haven't tested it much. Reporting these random problems will help me fix it.

If you need to reconfigure it, either delete bafgpsconfig.txt from the root of your device, or edit that file. Format of the file is GPS app on first line, timeout on the second line.

Timeout should be fine at 20 seconds for most. If the app launches but still doesn't see GPS, try increasing it. The launcher will stay open and keep GPS open until the timeout (in seconds) has expired, then it will close it's copy and exit. If the device goes to sleep or the program you launch closes it's GPS handles after the launcher exits, you will need to close the app and re-run the launcher.

That's about all I can think of. I have been testing it and it's working fine for me with iGo 2006, and llama has been testing it for me and has it working with TomTom.

Anyway, without further ado, here it is: http://code.baf.cc/bafgpsv01t.exe

Please report back with any feedback, bug reports, etc. Thanks!

Clarification: Make sure you click the save button when configuring it. I never set it up so hitting the close button would save it, so if you can't get a config to take, make sure you are actually clicking Save.

Suggestions so far:
- Browse button (I would have set one up, but there are no good pre-made file selectors in .NET CF, and I was trying to get this released ASAP) - Later version of the single launcher will have this, the daemon shouldn't need this.

Last edited by Baffles; 01-28-2008 at 02:30 AM.
Old 01-28-2008, 02:00 AM
Noob
Threadstarter

Baffles can't get a higher reputation levelBaffles can't get a higher reputation levelBaffles can't get a higher reputation levelBaffles can't get a higher reputation levelBaffles can't get a higher reputation levelBaffles can't get a higher reputation levelBaffles can't get a higher reputation levelBaffles can't get a higher reputation levelBaffles can't get a higher reputation levelBaffles can't get a higher reputation levelBaffles can't get a higher reputation level
Reserved Space.
Old 01-28-2008, 02:10 AM
PPCGeeks Regular

CJ00TA is a n00b
Awesome! Thanks for the dev work!
Old 01-28-2008, 02:10 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: 6700, 6800
Carrier: Sprint

Hellion is a n00b
Sweet! No to go play around with some more GPS apps!
Old 01-28-2008, 02:21 AM
Noob
Threadstarter

Glad you guys like it so far. Anyway, I edited the OP to add some clarification to some problems I've received complaints of. Anyway, I'm off to bed, I've gotta get up in 7 hours.
Old 01-28-2008, 02:48 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Touch Pro
Carrier: Sprint

TalynOne knows their stuffTalynOne knows their stuffTalynOne knows their stuffTalynOne knows their stuffTalynOne knows their stuffTalynOne knows their stuffTalynOne knows their stuffTalynOne knows their stuff
Doesn't seem to work right for me.

This is what my screen looks like:

I already have a GPS lock before starting your app, the only thing that changes is the above dialog is for "Lat" and "Lon" (about every second). Also the app stays open indefinitely (beyond 20 seconds). The only options for me at this point is to press the "Exit" button.

This is what my "bafgpsconfig.txt" looks like:
Code:
\Storage Card\Program Files\iNav\iGuidance\iGuidance.exe
I guess I'll try losing my GPS lock first, before trying your app again, and see if that makes a difference....

Edit: Ok, that was the difference, the app doesn't work right if you already have an active GPS stream, but if you don't have an active GPS stream it works fine.

Last edited by TalynOne; 01-28-2008 at 02:53 AM.
Old 01-28-2008, 02:53 AM
Lurker
Pocket PC: XV6700/PPC6800
Carrier: VZW/Sprint

onexsilence is a n00b
Send a message via AIM to onexsilence
Thanks for the application! works perfectly fine for miomap!

Request for application to pick up GPS software icon. =)
Old 01-28-2008, 07:23 AM
N00b
Pocket PC: Raphel
Carrier: Spring

Nunim is a n00b
Great App, iGo is working like a charm
Old 01-28-2008, 08:52 AM
Lurker
Pocket PC: Imagio
Carrier: Verizon

whbell is a n00b
Quote:
Originally Posted by TalynOne View Post
Doesn't seem to work right for me.

This is what my screen looks like:

I already have a GPS lock before starting your app, the only thing that changes is the above dialog is for "Lat" and "Lon" (about every second). Also the app stays open indefinitely (beyond 20 seconds). The only options for me at this point is to press the "Exit" button.

This is what my "bafgpsconfig.txt" looks like:
Code:
\Storage Card\Program Files\iNav\iGuidance\iGuidance.exe
I guess I'll try losing my GPS lock first, before trying your app again, and see if that makes a difference....

Edit: Ok, that was the difference, the app doesn't work right if you already have an active GPS stream, but if you don't have an active GPS stream it works fine.
Try using iGuidanceQVGA.exe as the exe. It seems to be working for me.
Old 01-28-2008, 12:18 PM
Post Master General
Pocket PC: White Evo: Myn's TPT RLS5, Stock Kernel
Carrier: The "NOW" Network

InvincibleLiving should be added to the payroll for their contributionsInvincibleLiving should be added to the payroll for their contributionsInvincibleLiving should be added to the payroll for their contributionsInvincibleLiving should be added to the payroll for their contributionsInvincibleLiving should be added to the payroll for their contributionsInvincibleLiving should be added to the payroll for their contributionsInvincibleLiving should be added to the payroll for their contributionsInvincibleLiving should be added to the payroll for their contributionsInvincibleLiving should be added to the payroll for their contributionsInvincibleLiving should be added to the payroll for their contributionsInvincibleLiving should be added to the payroll for their contributions
wow this is a smart move baffles, and quick turnaround too. nice work i'll be playing with this later.

Best... Member... Ever...

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Titan