PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Titan

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-25-2008, 02:16 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: Touch Vogue
Carrier: Alltel

bimerguy is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Smile Noobie needs help with low memory on PPC6800

New to the site and PPC 6800 with latest HTC ROM and I have always had low "Program" memory (never more than 15MB, but usually 8-10MB) but I have 95MB of Storage memory.

I have been using a WM 2003 PDA for years and the Memory was always directly adjustable according to your needs for more "progam" memory of "Storage" and with this PPC6800 with 256MB of RAM I was assured by Alltel that this PPC phone would be a business capable PDA phone and it's always been slow and runs low on memory even with "NO Programs" running in setings.

I have a 4GB microSD card and have most files and some programs on the SD card.

I've even stripped the PPC6800 down to the default system(Hard Rest) and still not much "program" memory but more than 13MB...around 19-20MB.

What are my options that you gurus may have found to help here?

I now know the memory on WM6 is managed automatically, but I would expect it to adjust the storage/program as needed when I run programs/Applications.

Thanks in advance for any & all help guys!
Old 06-25-2008, 02:29 PM
Gettin' Freaky With It
Pocket PC: Samsung Galaxy S5/iPad Air 2
Carrier: Big Red

rainfreak is a trusted member of the communityrainfreak is a trusted member of the communityrainfreak is a trusted member of the communityrainfreak is a trusted member of the communityrainfreak is a trusted member of the communityrainfreak is a trusted member of the communityrainfreak is a trusted member of the communityrainfreak is a trusted member of the communityrainfreak is a trusted member of the communityrainfreak is a trusted member of the communityrainfreak is a trusted member of the community
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to rainfreak
Re: Noobie needs help with low memory on PPC6800

Install both of these.

Oxios Memory will help you clear used memory by applications that have been "closed" but are still running.

X Button will give you a small menu at the top right of the Today screen that will make it easier to close running applications that you are not using.
Attached Files
File Type: zip X-button cab file.zip (259.2 KB, 21 views) Click for barcode!
File Type: zip oxiosmemory.zip (52.6 KB, 57 views) Click for barcode!
Old 06-25-2008, 02:41 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: Galaxy Note II
Carrier: Verizon

Geekcop is halfway to VIP status based on repGeekcop is halfway to VIP status based on repGeekcop is halfway to VIP status based on repGeekcop is halfway to VIP status based on repGeekcop is halfway to VIP status based on repGeekcop is halfway to VIP status based on repGeekcop is halfway to VIP status based on repGeekcop is halfway to VIP status based on repGeekcop is halfway to VIP status based on repGeekcop is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Send a message via MSN to Geekcop

I would also suggest getting a cleanup utility, such as Memmaid or SK Tools to clean out any internet debris that's accumulated.

Old 06-25-2008, 03:12 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: HTC Hero
Carrier: Sprint

quiqnezz is keeping up the good workquiqnezz is keeping up the good work

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainfreak View Post
Install both of these.

Oxios Memory will help you clear used memory by applications that have been "closed" but are still running.

X Button will give you a small menu at the top right of the Today screen that will make it easier to close running applications that you are not using.
I installed Oxios and am I right in assuming that you have to constantly run both apps it comes with in order to clear memory? Or does it run in the background and do it automatically. Memmaid and SKtools is something I was looking at trying as well. I heard that SKtools however has much more to offer as far as other options and apps right?
Old 06-26-2008, 03:39 PM
Gettin' Freaky With It
Pocket PC: Samsung Galaxy S5/iPad Air 2
Carrier: Big Red

rainfreak is a trusted member of the communityrainfreak is a trusted member of the communityrainfreak is a trusted member of the communityrainfreak is a trusted member of the communityrainfreak is a trusted member of the communityrainfreak is a trusted member of the communityrainfreak is a trusted member of the communityrainfreak is a trusted member of the communityrainfreak is a trusted member of the communityrainfreak is a trusted member of the communityrainfreak is a trusted member of the community
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to rainfreak

I think sktools is better myself, but I don't run either of those anymore. I am good about closing what I am not using and run oxios once or twice a day (manually, cannot run automatically). And I stay around 35-40% free memory...
Old 06-26-2008, 04:38 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: HTC Hero
Carrier: Sprint

sHockz is becoming a PPCGeeks regularsHockz is becoming a PPCGeeks regularsHockz is becoming a PPCGeeks regularsHockz is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

upgrade to newest rom. leave it stock. here is a link. download, and run it on your computer. its easy as pie. i am having ZERO memory issues by doing this. im running HTC home application too, and its booting with 22+ mb everytime. very snappy.

http://www.geek-pages.com/rom/RUU_TI..._0619_Ship.exe

Last edited by sHockz; 06-26-2008 at 04:41 PM.
Old 06-28-2008, 02:18 PM
Lurker
Threadstarter

bimerguy is a n00b
Re: My Low Memory is with NO Prog and cleaned w/ MemMaid

Thanks fo rall the input.

I have always use the "X"-button to end programs and use MemMaid and have the latest HTC ROM that is not hacked but as-is.

I can have no programs running per the memory settings page and have only 10MB or less after using and closing apps.

So, my question is there a way to maximize the "program" memory(as opposed t "storage" memory) to have at least 20MB or am I stuck with WM6 managing my "program" memory.

I here of those that have 30-50% memory avaiable but HOW?

Do I need to exchange this unit that for any reason before my 1 yr warranty or can this PPC 6800 be improved on the program memory?

As stated before...I have 95MB of Storage free and typically 10MB of program free and need advice since some apps require more program memory and all that free storage is un-tapped.

Thanks again for all the advice.
Old 06-28-2008, 02:30 PM
Almost a VIP

SprintTouch08 knows their stuffSprintTouch08 knows their stuffSprintTouch08 knows their stuffSprintTouch08 knows their stuffSprintTouch08 knows their stuffSprintTouch08 knows their stuff

trust me i dont understand it either its like people have magical Moguls or something. I could never get 18-20mb at the end of the day like some here claim not matter how many times i ran memmaid or sktools with nothing else running. Like you, i was lucky to have 12mb or just enough to open my gps software without an out of memory error
Personally i think some people exagurate their free memory to justify their purchase, because there is clearly a problem with low ram on the device and it is a big problem. Ive used plenty of PPCs my since WM2003, and FAR from a newb at it, and the mogul was the most unacceptable of all of them because of the RAM and erroring out due to low memory. Id never use one again even if Sprint paid me to. the touch with 128 of ram is night and day
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 06-28-2008, 09:15 PM
Lurker
Threadstarter

bimerguy is a n00b
Cool Re: The Touch is better than the PPC6800???

So, are you saying that the Touch uses it's 128MB better than the 256MB on thr PPC6800.

I need a PDA equally as much as a cell phone and thought the PPC69\800 would be the business class device for all my files(Excel, Word, Etc) and apps to runs that I would need/like to have on the device...but if you know the Touch is more capable with many apps and RAM management then maybe I should switch as i really don't need or care for the keyboard anyway.

Please give me some tangible feedback about this comparison of the Touch & PPC6800 with Apps, Ram, Etc.

It sounds like you've had some time to compare/evaluate and I have some time left in my 1st yr of purchase to negotiate if the Touch is a better solution for a business class PDA phone.

Thanks.
Old 06-28-2008, 09:26 PM
Lurker
Threadstarter

bimerguy is a n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by sHockz View Post
upgrade to newest rom. leave it stock. here is a link. download, and run it on your computer. its easy as pie. i am having ZERO memory issues by doing this. im running HTC home application too, and its booting with 22+ mb everytime. very snappy.

http://www.geek-pages.com/rom/RUU_TI..._0619_Ship.exe
Will this ROM work okay with my Alltel PPC 6800???

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Titan