PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Titan

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-25-2008, 01:03 AM
Lurker
Pocket PC: htc mogul

wakensnow45 is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Free GPS!!!!!!!

I have been reading post after post about about this issue, but I feel like many of them are out dated.

I want to know the best free gps software available on the mogul?????

and is it really worth it to pay for gps?????
Old 06-25-2008, 01:08 AM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: Touch Pro 2
Carrier: Sprint

land2634 knows their stuffland2634 knows their stuffland2634 knows their stuffland2634 knows their stuffland2634 knows their stuffland2634 knows their stuff
Send a message via AIM to land2634
Re: Free GPS!!!!!!!

I'll put it this way: you really do get what you pay for. Most of the free programs require a data connection to load the maps as you navigate. Problem is, if you need to navigate in an area that has no signal, then no such luck. I have found that I like TomTom the best for my Mogul. I tried Garmin, but the maps refreshed entirely too slow for me (I would pass the street I was supposed to turn on and be to the next street before the map would refresh showing my location where I was SUPPOSED to turn). The only issue is that it seems that TomTom has pulled all support for Navigator 6, and I'm not entirely sure the maps are completely up to date. But as far as the best GPS application for what you get vs. what you pay for, my vote goes to TomTom.
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 06-25-2008, 01:09 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: 6800
Carrier: Alltel

chevyforlife is keeping up the good workchevyforlife is keeping up the good work
Send a message via MSN to chevyforlife

depends on if you travel alot. i just use my mogul and its built in gps. and use google maps and its pretty accurate
Radio: 3.42.50
Old 06-25-2008, 01:33 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro 2

sl8763 is keeping up the good worksl8763 is keeping up the good work

Google Maps and Windows Live Search are very good, and free. As far as the non-free software is concerned, I have iGuidance 4 and like it, although I have not tried any others.
Old 06-25-2008, 01:44 AM
Lurker
Pocket PC: Sprint Mogul

syphy is a n00b

Windows live search is the best thing that you can get for free IMO. Unlike Google Maps, it updates your directions automatically and it beeps right before you need to turn.
Old 06-25-2008, 02:35 AM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: Temp TP2 until the 3D

No1ustad is a VIPNo1ustad is a VIPNo1ustad is a VIPNo1ustad is a VIPNo1ustad is a VIPNo1ustad is a VIPNo1ustad is a VIPNo1ustad is a VIPNo1ustad is a VIPNo1ustad is a VIPNo1ustad is a VIP
Send a message via MSN to No1ustad

I love tomtom, but lookin at this http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?p=311784 , the free ones are ranked pretty high too. I'd def say windows live is better than google maps though

Mogul -> Vogue -> TP -> TP2 -> Snap -> Evo -> 3D
Old 06-25-2008, 04:08 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Diamond

iamjasonc is just getting started

ok so i've installed the leaked sprint rom, and i was wondering. I want to use Windows Live Search for directions but I'm not sure how to set up the GPS....Do i set it to COM4? Any help would be greatly appreciated because i'm basically a noob.
Old 06-25-2008, 06:08 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Rhodium CDMA

AboveTheBULL is becoming a great contributor
Thumbs up Re: Free GPS!!!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wakensnow45 View Post
I have been reading post after post about about this issue, but I feel like many of them are out dated.

I want to know the best free gps software available on the mogul?????

and is it really worth it to pay for gps?????
In terms of FREE GPS programs, I think you should try AmazeGPS, available at http://www.amazegps.com (or http://wap.amazegps.com from your phone). It's completely free, has VOICE turn-by-turn directions, automatic route recalculation (if you miss a turn), and works pretty well without any need for workarounds or hacks. I keep it and Live Search on my phone at all times...

Now, paid programs are a whole different story! I use iGuidance 4 (for the spoken road names) and TomTom Navigator 6 (with the Richard voice). Both have their pros and cons -- and both require several extra steps beyond just installing to get them working on the Mogul. I'm looking forward to trying igo2006 and igo8, but will wait until I get a bigger MicroSD card.

Anyway, try out AmazeGPS...
This post has been thanked 4 times.
Old 06-25-2008, 07:05 AM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: HTC EVO

nmhusa is becoming a PPCGeeks regularnmhusa is becoming a PPCGeeks regularnmhusa is becoming a PPCGeeks regularnmhusa is becoming a PPCGeeks regularnmhusa is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Cool Re: Free GPS!!!!!!!

Free GPS i.e. Google Maps and Windows Live are great for Points of Interest Search when you are in an area with a good phone signal (mostly around cities). Out on the the interstates, the POI with Free programs is pretty good. I use Google Maps or Live for any phone number checks for businesses etc as it is pretty quick and upto date.

iGuidance 4 ($99), provides the complete US/Canada in 1.2 Gb on your memory card, had POI, text to speech (i.e. reads out street names in entirety) and proides rapid driving updates so that you can easily follow the spoken directions without needing to see (or look at) the map (essential for a good GPS unit). This is my first choice for road trips in and around town or cross country (or while in roaming regions i.e. Canada).

TOMTOM has been installed a few times on my phone, but I cannot recommend it as it lacks Text to Speech for street names, has poor voice warnings for turns, fails to tell you which side of the street your destination is when you arrive etc etc etc. TOMTOM 7 is coming out (or is out on some phones) and it still fails to offer Text to Speech (a deal breaker for me).

Garmin ??? Needs a decidacted microsd card with maps installed (PIA). Or you can pirate the maps (as most seem to have done) and install it on your own microsd card. Text to Speech is missing. POI is good (but thats what the free GPS programs do best). So I see no use in it at all.

BTW I have tried each version of the above on my phone, including Pharos GPS, Destinator, iGo and still come back to iGuidance as it is the most versatile and best value for the money.
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 06-25-2008, 09:17 AM
Gettin' Freaky With It
Pocket PC: Samsung Galaxy S5/iPad Air 2
Carrier: Big Red

rainfreak is a trusted member of the communityrainfreak is a trusted member of the communityrainfreak is a trusted member of the communityrainfreak is a trusted member of the communityrainfreak is a trusted member of the communityrainfreak is a trusted member of the communityrainfreak is a trusted member of the communityrainfreak is a trusted member of the communityrainfreak is a trusted member of the communityrainfreak is a trusted member of the communityrainfreak is a trusted member of the community
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to rainfreak

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamjasonc View Post
ok so i've installed the leaked sprint rom, and i was wondering. I want to use Windows Live Search for directions but I'm not sure how to set up the GPS....Do i set it to COM4? Any help would be greatly appreciated because i'm basically a noob.
Com4 would be correct...

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Titan