PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Titan
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-25-2008, 09:55 AM
Lurker
Pocket PC: Sprint Mogul

ejbleendreeble is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: Free GPS!!!!!!!

AmazeGPS is in alpha for WM6, and "alpha" is a fair description of what you will get right now. The maps look very strange, the Demo navigation proceeded at a snail's pace and took some odd turnings, the application did not remember that I lived in the US and kept offering me Andorra, and on some screens the input keyboard appeared under the application screen instead of over it. In terms of smoothness of operation on my Mogul, Google Maps and Live Search have set the bar very high and Amaze has some way to go.

Nevertheless, it was unusual to hear free voice navigation on a free GPS app. I won't say I was amazed -- pleasantly surprised might be nearer the mark. But -- as I say -- this is an alpha. It will be interesting to see what Amaze comes up with if the company persists.
Old 06-25-2008, 02:45 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Rhodium CDMA
Carrier: Sprint

AboveTheBULL is becoming a great contributor
Cool Re: Free GPS!!!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejbleendreeble View Post
AmazeGPS is in alpha for WM6, and "alpha" is a fair description of what you will get right now. The maps look very strange, the Demo navigation proceeded at a snail's pace and took some odd turnings, the application did not remember that I lived in the US and kept offering me Andorra, and on some screens the input keyboard appeared under the application screen instead of over it. In terms of smoothness of operation on my Mogul, Google Maps and Live Search have set the bar very high and Amaze has some way to go.

Nevertheless, it was unusual to hear free voice navigation on a free GPS app. I won't say I was amazed -- pleasantly surprised might be nearer the mark. But -- as I say -- this is an alpha. It will be interesting to see what Amaze comes up with if the company persists.
I actually don't have such problems when I use Amaze. Maps look rather similar to Google Maps (I use the 'hybrid' road setting with 'NorthUp' disabled). It remembers (or possibly auto-recognizes) my location as "United States" and even has the correct city in the primary drop down. On-screen keyboard functions normally. Demo navigation is the same slow pace as iGuidance. And quality of directions trumps TomTom, which loves to pretend that major 4-way intersections are roundabouts here in Nashville.

I'm running stock 3.35 ROM and latest alpha release of Amaze.

My principal complaint with Amaze is the complete lack of integrated POIs, so you must have an address to use the program. The interface also takes some getting used to. Looks like some nice features like speedcams are on the horizon too, so in terms of FREE gps solutions, I really wouldn't sleep on Amaze.
Old 06-26-2008, 03:22 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: 6800
Carrier: alltel

rickyrecaro is becoming a PPCGeeks regularrickyrecaro is becoming a PPCGeeks regularrickyrecaro is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Send a message via Yahoo to rickyrecaro

is this app one of those things where it "free" and then you get this huge bill for using it? kinda wondering how long you have been running the appand if you have seen a additional charges?

Last edited by rickyrecaro; 06-26-2008 at 03:24 PM.
Old 06-28-2008, 04:07 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Carrier: alltel

rickyrecaro is becoming a PPCGeeks regularrickyrecaro is becoming a PPCGeeks regularrickyrecaro is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Send a message via Yahoo to rickyrecaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickyrecaro View Post
is this app one of those things where it "free" and then you get this huge bill for using it? kinda wondering how long you have been running the appand if you have seen a additional charges?
anyone
Old 06-28-2008, 05:43 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Carrier: Alltel

chevyforlife is keeping up the good workchevyforlife is keeping up the good work
Send a message via MSN to chevyforlife

i have been running the amaze app and i see no change in my bill
Radio: 3.42.50
Old 06-28-2008, 06:13 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Motorola A855 Droid
Carrier: Verizon

vesty16277 is keeping up the good workvesty16277 is keeping up the good work
Send a message via AIM to vesty16277

I have been using tomtom for about a year now. I like its functionality. I've used it both with A-GPS and BT receiver and both work well. I did notice that the GPS won't start if I load tomtom first. I have to go to google maps first hit locate to turn on the GPS then load TomTom and it works. POI's aren't bad and some of the voices are pretty funny.
Old 06-28-2008, 07:53 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Touch + Mogul
Carrier: Sprint (its a love/hate thing)

winmobilelawyer is becoming a great contributor

I just wish the maps in live search would rotate to match the direction you are going!! if it did that it would be awesome!

other than that i use TomTom which someone gave to me...

And my Touch makes me feel like I am on a diet.

SKINS, WALLPAPERS, LINKS
http://mobile.meangmedia.com
Old 06-28-2008, 09:31 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Rhodium CDMA
Carrier: Sprint

AboveTheBULL is becoming a great contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickyrecaro View Post
anyone
The only GPS program I'm aware of that will directly effect your bill is "Sprint Navigation/TeleNav", which is considered Sprint premium content. It's free for 2 days, then $9.95 per month thereafter. But with all these other options, Sprint TeleNav isn't worth paying for, especially since all other options that I am aware of do not directly effect your bill. I say "directly" because most do require internet access to load the maps, prime the GPS, or download POI updates on the fly... so if you don't have an unlimited internet plan you'll have data charges.

Honestly, I would strongly recommend you take some time to read the GPS sticky -- http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=17032 -- I learned at least 75% of what I know about the Mogul's GPS options from there....

Hope this helps...

Last edited by AboveTheBULL; 06-28-2008 at 10:06 PM.
Old 07-21-2008, 01:13 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Prizzo
Carrier: VZW

quadjacks is keeping up the good workquadjacks is keeping up the good work

Quote:
Originally Posted by wakensnow45 View Post
I have been reading post after post about about this issue, but I feel like many of them are out dated.

I want to know the best free gps software available on the mogul?????

and is it really worth it to pay for gps?????

Try this!

http://www.smartphonejunkie.com/showthread.php?t=159860

hope this helps
Old 07-21-2008, 10:43 AM
Almost a VIP
Pocket PC: Evo Shift
Carrier: Sprint SEP 4G

elmerfudpucker knows their stuffelmerfudpucker knows their stuffelmerfudpucker knows their stuffelmerfudpucker knows their stuffelmerfudpucker knows their stuffelmerfudpucker knows their stuffelmerfudpucker knows their stuff
Send a message via MSN to elmerfudpucker

I got the SEP from Sprint so the telenav is included, the cheap gas search would offset the cost of the service after the first fillup If you are driving a V8. Now if I could just figure out how to change the voice....
"He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion."

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Titan