PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Titan
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-23-2008, 03:21 PM
N00b
Pocket PC: Mogul
Carrier: Sprint

woods23 is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: Windows live search with VOICE RECOGNITION

Is there some special setting to get Live Search to talk to you turn by turn
Old 06-23-2008, 03:30 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: HTC EVO 4G

varaff is keeping up the good workvaraff is keeping up the good work
Send a message via Yahoo to varaff

Quote:
Originally Posted by woods23 View Post
Is there some special setting to get Live Search to talk to you turn by turn
Nope, try Tomtom.
Old 06-23-2008, 04:34 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: Verizon XV6800

greymatter is a n00b

Guys - FWIW, from what I understand, the voice recognition only works if you have cell service. When you talk, Live Search sends your voice over the network to the Live Search servers to analyze what you said. I found this out when I was out in a remote area without service. So... I wasn't as impressed with it when I found this part out - still nice, though. Better than Google Maps? Maybe on some levels, but it is Microsoft, which I'm not a huge fan of to begin with... Do I use it? Sure - have been since it's first day of public release...
Old 06-23-2008, 05:11 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: Touch Pro

gtarent is a n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by greymatter View Post
Guys - FWIW, from what I understand, the voice recognition only works if you have cell service. When you talk, Live Search sends your voice over the network to the Live Search servers to analyze what you said. I found this out when I was out in a remote area without service. So... I wasn't as impressed with it when I found this part out - still nice, though. Better than Google Maps? Maybe on some levels, but it is Microsoft, which I'm not a huge fan of to begin with... Do I use it? Sure - have been since it's first day of public release...
Live search itself is worthless without a data connection, as is google maps, not sure why that would impact your impression of it, especially since its very name indicates it would need a live data connection.
Old 06-23-2008, 05:51 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro
Carrier: Sprint (SERO)

qbunnie is becoming a great contributor

GPS turn by turn on Live search is way better than GMaps (as in it has actual turn by turn). However, Live search does not have a voice output saying "turn right" instead it beeps before you are supposed to turn and then again right about when you are supposed to turn. The rest you have to read off of the screen.
As for voice control, it works. I have a feeling that its not what you (OP) are looking for, simply say something and it will take you there. You still have to go through a few steps to get it to route from your current location. But you can control it via voice, which is pretty cool.
I have found that Google Maps seems to have a more accurate POI database. I looked up a Starbucks on Live Search and it sent my to a phantom one a few days ago (not even one of those Starbucks inside other stores, it sent my to a Kay Jewlery store). Google Maps seems to be better at that. Also, gas prices are not always accurate. But movies is cool, especially if you are out of town with some friends. But Live search has gas and movies integrated into the app, wherease GMaps does not.
Long story short, each has its own advantages. I think I use Live more, but I still use Google maps too.
Old 06-23-2008, 06:01 PM
Almost a VIP
Pocket PC: EVO

supdawg is halfway to VIP status based on repsupdawg is halfway to VIP status based on repsupdawg is halfway to VIP status based on repsupdawg is halfway to VIP status based on repsupdawg is halfway to VIP status based on repsupdawg is halfway to VIP status based on repsupdawg is halfway to VIP status based on repsupdawg is halfway to VIP status based on repsupdawg is halfway to VIP status based on rep

I love the app, been using it for a while and it works really well. The voice recognition software works really well and is excellent for those obscure places you are searching for.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Titan