PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Titan

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-05-2008, 04:30 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Touch Pro
Carrier: Alltel

DaveAz is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
VPN-VNC...Connect to home network on the go?

I saw somewhere a few days ago that a guy used his iPhone to connect to his home network. Is it possible to do with my Titan? I searched here and couldn't find anything related to VPN or VNC. Hopefully there's free apps to do this. If not I'd pay a little to have this capability.

Thanks,

Dave
Old 08-05-2008, 04:55 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: HTC Hero
Carrier: Sprint

arparent is becoming a PPCGeeks regulararparent is becoming a PPCGeeks regulararparent is becoming a PPCGeeks regulararparent is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Send a message via MSN to arparent
Re: VPN-VNC...Connect to home network on the go?

I use remote desktop to connect to my home pc. A lot more useful.
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 08-05-2008, 04:59 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Threadstarter

DaveAz is a n00b

One of the pc's I'd like connection to is XP Home...So I have installed tight vnc on it to connect to it with my laptop.

I'm somewhat new to this and I'm sure I'm missing something. Will it work w/XP Home?
Old 08-05-2008, 05:14 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Htc Evo 4G

agrenwa is keeping up the good workagrenwa is keeping up the good work

Quote:
Originally Posted by arparent View Post
I use remote desktop to connect to my home pc. A lot more useful.
Which OS do you have? I have windows vista home where remote desktop is disabled, I tried all kind of hacks to enable it but had no luck, I'm using logmein which works but its a little slow, I wish somebody can help me find a solution how to enable remote desktop in windows vista home.
Old 08-05-2008, 06:34 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro

dtndvm knows their stuffdtndvm knows their stuffdtndvm knows their stuffdtndvm knows their stuffdtndvm knows their stuffdtndvm knows their stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveAz View Post
One of the pc's I'd like connection to is XP Home...So I have installed tight vnc on it to connect to it with my laptop.

I'm somewhat new to this and I'm sure I'm missing something. Will it work w/XP Home?
Remote desktop doesn't work with XP Home for incoming connections. It is on the OS for outgoing connections and works just fine for that. For incoming you need either a terminal server or a computer running Windows Vista, Windows XP Professional Service Pack 2 (SP2), or Windows Server 2003 with Service Pack 2 (SP2) that has Remote Desktop enabled and for which you have Remote Desktop permissions.

Setup is reasonably straightforward on the computer but can be a little more complicated getting through firewalls and opening the correct ports on your modem.

RDP Client (the computer you're connecting from) is already on all XP versions and can be downloaded from Microsoft for pre XP OS's.

Here's a link to a tutorial on how to configure remote desktop:

http://articles.techrepublic.com.com...7-6119547.html

If you just need access to your XP Home Edition computer, may want to try Logmein free:

https://secure.logmein.com/home.asp

Also, this is a link from another forum member about another access site but I have no information on it:

http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showpost.p...35&postcount=1
Old 08-05-2008, 06:58 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Mine, 6800 with 20273 ROM / Wifes 6800 with Stock ROM
Carrier: US Cellular

President Fluid is just getting started
Send a message via MSN to President Fluid

Quote:
I saw somewhere a few days ago that a guy used his iPhone to connect to his home network. Is it possible to do with my Titan? I searched here and couldn't find anything related to VPN or VNC. Hopefully there's free apps to do this. If not I'd pay a little to have this capability.

Thanks,

Dave
This would be a good feature. I use the Remote Desktop to get into my server but as for swapping files between the phone and the server while on the go with a VPN connection would be a great feature.
Old 08-05-2008, 07:26 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: EVO 3D

scrosler can't get a higher reputation levelscrosler can't get a higher reputation levelscrosler can't get a higher reputation levelscrosler can't get a higher reputation levelscrosler can't get a higher reputation levelscrosler can't get a higher reputation levelscrosler can't get a higher reputation levelscrosler can't get a higher reputation levelscrosler can't get a higher reputation levelscrosler can't get a higher reputation levelscrosler can't get a higher reputation level
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)

Quote:

Thanks,

Dave
Funny the responses. You did not ask about hacking Windows Home Editiion, you didn't ask about upgrading your OS. You just asked if you could VNC into it. Here is how:

I use the VNC viewer here http://www.cs.utah.edu/~midgley/wince/vnc.html
. Never tried this one but looks just as good: http://-net-vnc-viewer.en.softonic.com/pocketpc . You will still need to install a VNC server on your home machine. This is easy enough. Go to http://www.uvnc.com/ and use there severs. I think UltraVNC is the best. I have used nearly all the VNC apps out.

Next if you are running any sort of firewall you will need to open ports for the VNC app. If your already running it on your laptop then you shouldnt have to do much else.
Good Luck

Scott

Last edited by scrosler; 08-05-2008 at 07:29 PM. Reason: Spelling
Old 08-05-2008, 07:32 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: EVO 3D

scrosler can't get a higher reputation levelscrosler can't get a higher reputation levelscrosler can't get a higher reputation levelscrosler can't get a higher reputation levelscrosler can't get a higher reputation levelscrosler can't get a higher reputation levelscrosler can't get a higher reputation levelscrosler can't get a higher reputation levelscrosler can't get a higher reputation levelscrosler can't get a higher reputation levelscrosler can't get a higher reputation level
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by agrenwa View Post
Which OS do you have? I have windows vista home where remote desktop is disabled, I tried all kind of hacks to enable it but had no luck, I'm using logmein which works but its a little slow, I wish somebody can help me find a solution how to enable remote desktop in windows vista home.
I know this is not the place or forum for this but since it was asked:

http://www.unet.fi/fransblog/2007/08...-home-premium/

Follow these steps and it WILL work. Have done it on many a home premium machine.

Good Luck!

Scott
Old 08-05-2008, 07:38 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Threadstarter

DaveAz is a n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by President Fluid View Post
This would be a good feature. I use the Remote Desktop to get into my server but as for swapping files between the phone and the server while on the go with a VPN connection would be a great feature.
That's exactly what I'm looking for...I just realized my phone already had RDP...Now to figure out how to get into my network that's on Cox.

Last edited by DaveAz; 08-05-2008 at 07:40 PM.
Old 08-05-2008, 07:50 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Threadstarter

DaveAz is a n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrosler View Post
Funny the responses. You did not ask about hacking Windows Home Editiion, you didn't ask about upgrading your OS. You just asked if you could VNC into it. Here is how:

I use the VNC viewer here http://www.cs.utah.edu/~midgley/wince/vnc.html
. Never tried this one but looks just as good: http://-net-vnc-viewer.en.softonic.com/pocketpc . You will still need to install a VNC server on your home machine. This is easy enough. Go to http://www.uvnc.com/ and use there severs. I think UltraVNC is the best. I have used nearly all the VNC apps out.

Next if you are running any sort of firewall you will need to open ports for the VNC app. If your already running it on your laptop then you shouldnt have to do much else.
Good Luck

Scott

I think this is the answer I'm looking for. Will this be secure from outside my personal network. I haven't connected to any of my machines from outside my network yet, not certain if that's possible with the current configuration I have...will see I guess.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Titan