PPCGeeks

PPCGeeks (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/index.php)
-   HTC Titan (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=44)
-   -   Dropped Phone In toilet (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=29737)

keifer 06-20-2008 01:40 AM

Dropped Phone In toilet

Well the worst thing in the world happened. My phone fell in the toilet. I was wearing it on my hip and it popped off and splooosh!!! I grabbed it, got the cover off, which seemed like hours and as I was doing so the olipro bootloader screen was showing. Got the battery out and started freaking.
I took it back to the office dried it off, blew out as much as the water as I could and and waited forever till I go home.
I took the whole the apart. Every piece. Not too much water actually got in as the red "wet" indicator was on partial red.
Anyway everything is running somewhat normal except for the screen. it has a bunch of white to gray gradient lines on it. Occasionally when I power it up it looks normal but goes right to the lines again.
As I am writing this plea for help I turned it on and it looked all normal but then reverted back.
What I am wonder if it is the LCD that is screwed or the main circuitry. I can order a replacement LCD off of Ebay for $50 but I don't want to fork out the money if it is more serious.

Any, I mean any help would be apprciated.

tsperez 06-20-2008 01:56 AM

Re: Dropped Phone In toilet

Quote:

Originally Posted by keifer (Post 320126)
Well the worst thing in the world happened. My phone fell in the toilet. I was wearing it on my hip and it popped off and splooosh!!! I grabbed it, got the cover off, which seemed like hours and as I was doing so the olipro bootloader screen was showing. Got the battery out and started freaking.
I took it back to the office dried it off, blew out as much as the water as I could and and waited forever till I go home.
I took the whole the apart. Every piece. Not too much water actually got in as the red "wet" indicator was on partial red.
Anyway everything is running somewhat normal except for the screen. it has a bunch of white to gray gradient lines on it. Occasionally when I power it up it looks normal but goes right to the lines again.
As I am writing this plea for help I turned it on and it looked all normal but then reverted back.
What I am wonder if it is the LCD that is screwed or the main circuitry. I can order a replacement LCD off of Ebay for $50 but I don't want to fork out the money if it is more serious.

Sh*t man that sucks! (sorry couldn't help myself!)

I dropped my phone once in muddy water around a plant in the yard. I had the phone in my shirt pocket and when I bend down to do something it came out of the pocket and into the water. I grabbed it in about 2 seconds or less and just took off the back cover and battery to dry off as much as I could. Worked fine for weeks but then started having problems. I'm not sure if it was old age and use or the water that got inside of it.

No sure if repairing your phone is a good idea. New phone excuse?

Good luck,
tsp

flyers2114 06-20-2008 02:02 AM

Quote:

Add the insurance to your service and then return it.....then you pay $50 for a refurb phone....or you might get lucky and take it in and get a new one if they dont have any refurbs in stock....I gurantee down the road you will have problems with it....

D/\SH 06-20-2008 02:03 AM

Quote:

i got a screen for 40 shipped if you need bro.... hit me up through pm if you want i got a thread here selling parts.

pierocksmysocks 06-20-2008 09:07 AM

Check to make sure you've got the LCD ribbon seated in there properly. If it is, then it's most likely the LCD screen. Just to be on the safe side, have you got a friend that you could borrow a working LCD from to test and make sure that's the issue before you go spending money on parts that might not be helpful?

keifer 06-20-2008 12:43 PM

Thanks for all the reply, it has come back on it's own. I tore it down it's smallest component parts and dipped them in lab grade isopropyl alchohol and in back to normal. Crossing my fingers now!

tpeazy 06-21-2008 12:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keifer (Post 320467)
Thanks for all the reply, it has come back on it's own. I tore it down it's smallest component parts and dipped them in lab grade isopropyl alchohol and in back to normal. Crossing my fingers now!

I am glad you got it working, I just hope it continues to work, the smallest of the components tend to rust and corrode when water is introduced. I hope that's not the case, but often it is.

Tp

chicubs3794 06-21-2008 12:49 AM

if it ends up not working.............
here are my instructions
BEFORE YOU DO ANYTHING BE SURE TO BACK UP YOUR PIM DATA AND TAKE YOUR SD CARD OUT OF YOUR PHONE
1. go directly to your kitchen
2. open your microwave
3. put said phone in microwave
4. set timer for precisely 3 THREE TRES TROIS (lmao) seconds. (any longer and you'll fry it, thus voiding warranty)
5. start said microwave
6. take the phone out of the microwave (IMPORTANT STEP)
7. drive to the nearest sprint store
8. go to the rep and say these words " So last night i turned my phone off for the night. when i left for work in the morning i still hadn't turned it on yet. when i finally turned it on at work it booted up normally, then suddenly it spazzed out and turned off!!!! the screen just stopped and dimmed out! so i tried to turn it on again and again and it wouldnt budge. i tried using one of my co-worker's battery in my phone, still wouldnt turn on. so as soon as i got out of work i came here."
9. theyll do thier stupid testing and it eventually determine that your phone doesnt work! durrrrrrrr.
10. if your in your warranty period, theyll either give you a refurb one or theyll be nice and give you a new one or theyll ship out for a refurb one....in which youll get it within 4-5 buisness days
i have a summer job there boys, so i know hahaha
Good Luck!!!

chicubs3794 06-21-2008 12:50 AM

nvm i just saw it was telus so i dont know about them

flyers2114 06-21-2008 01:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chicubs3794 (Post 320989)
if it ends up not working.............
here are my instructions
BEFORE YOU DO ANYTHING BE SURE TO BACK UP YOUR PIM DATA AND TAKE YOUR SD CARD OUT OF YOUR PHONE
1. go directly to your kitchen
2. open your microwave
3. put said phone in microwave
4. set timer for precisely 3 THREE TRES TROIS (lmao) seconds. (any longer and you'll fry it, thus voiding warranty)
5. start said microwave
6. take the phone out of the microwave (IMPORTANT STEP)
7. drive to the nearest sprint store
8. go to the rep and say these words " So last night i turned my phone off for the night. when i left for work in the morning i still hadn't turned it on yet. when i finally turned it on at work it booted up normally, then suddenly it spazzed out and turned off!!!! the screen just stopped and dimmed out! so i tried to turn it on again and again and it wouldnt. i tried using one of my co-worker's battery in my phone, still wouldnt turn on. so as soon as i got out of work i came here."
9. theyll do thier stupid testing and it eventually determine that your phone doesnt work! durrrrrrrr.
10. if your in your warranty period, theyll either give you a refurb one or theyll be nice and give you a new one or theyll ship out for a refurb one....in which youll get it within 4-5 buisness days
i have a summer job there boys, so i know hahaha
Good Luck!!!

I would recommend not posting this anymore or removing it....I posted it before myself but after thinking about it we dont want big brother Sprint coming after our beloved PPCgeeks...:mrgreen: