PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Titan
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-18-2008, 10:57 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: CDMA Diamond
Carrier: MTS

littlerichie29 is just getting started
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Bell 6800 bad battery life

Hi folks, can't seem to figure this one out, i think it might be something with the way the battery is being charged, but not sure. Anyway here goes:

I am running 3.49.NO2.5066 with radio 3.35.04 on a bell 6800. This bell 6800 is being used on the MTS network in Manitoba.

I had a full battery before i did the update from stock to the latest NO2CHEM rom, and radio, GPS enabled of course, and battery life was great for a couple of days. Now when i charge the phone to 100%, it drains down to nothing in 4 hours. It does this even after a hard reset, and i am guessing it is either from bad charge info being relayed to the battery, and there for it is maybe at 10% even when reporting 100%. Or some part of the phone is constantly trying to access something.

Direct push is disabled, WiFi is off, bluetooth off, and no programs are accessing the GPS.

When i Kitchened the rom, all i added were vibrating dial, word, excel, powerpoint, adobe, flash support, Grey theme, 10 button comm manager.

I made sure to select bell as my carrier (even though i am on MTS), and everything else i can think of.

Because it works for a day or 2 properly, it leads me to believe it is a charging issue. BUT, i can charge the battery seperately in the cradle to a full charge and it does the same thing. I have the 2400 maH battery installed, and the stock one on hand (it does the same thing)

Let me know if there are any other ideas.

Thanks

Last edited by littlerichie29; 06-18-2008 at 03:22 PM.
Old 06-18-2008, 01:09 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro 2
Carrier: Telus

Huggybear is becoming a great contributor
Re: Bell 6800 bad battery life

The only things I can think of in order of probability are:
1) How are you charging your phone? If you've mixed charging your phone from wall to pc, you may have to completely drain your battery then charge it for about 4 hrs (even though the quick charger is 2hrs). Your battery may have developed a memory. It sounds like it's a battery issue. You may have to get it swapped.
2) Have you checked to see if ActiveSync is running? That can deplete battery life quickly.
3) Stupid Q...but I'm gonna ask anyway, are you getting a strong digital cell signal? A weak signal I find tends to deplete batteries quick as does an analogue.

Last edited by Huggybear; 06-18-2008 at 01:12 PM.
Old 06-18-2008, 01:16 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: xv6800

themirthfulswami is a n00b

I can attest to the mixed-charging phenomenon. I made that mistake for a while.. using the AC adapter overnight and then plugging it in to my PC at work while I was in the office.. the battery life became CRAP. I mean dropping from 100% to 50% with very little usage by between breakfast and lunch time.

I've since learned my lesson
Old 06-18-2008, 02:47 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: touch pro
Carrier: sprint

strawsy is a n00b

On a normal basis, with a few calls and playing a few games in a day, how long should the battery stay charge. Say its 100%, and you talk for maybe an hour and play games for maybe 15-20 minutes. How much battery should you have left. I think questions like this should be answered to know if a battery is even good or not.
Old 06-18-2008, 03:20 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Threadstarter

Well last night i drained it by leaving the backlight on till it turned off, and left the phone off and charging all night with the AC charger. Turned it on this morning, and after having it on for an hour, but not used at all it was at 90% remaining. With the stock rom, it would still be at 99-100%.

I am trying a bunch of different roms right now, and we will see what happens. I have a feeling phone alarm is to blame, so i will wait a few days before trying to install it again.

Have the same cell signal i had before, it is at least 3 bars everywhere with EVDO coverage.

After a soft reset without opening anything still drains the battery just as fast, so it is not a running program issue.

It is frustrating, but i will persevere.
Old 06-18-2008, 03:28 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: xv6800

themirthfulswami is a n00b

Hard for me to answer that since I had been dealing with a funky battery for a couple months of my own doing... with that battery I could just about make it through a day with my "normal" usage as I will detail like this :

- approximately 100 text msgs (all-inclusive incoming/outgoing)
- approximately 30 minutes of voice time
- approximately 1 hour of web-surfing time (cumulative)
- a game or two of sudoku or bubble breaker in the bathroom at work LOL
- wifi off
- bluetooth off
- two email accounts actively checking for new POP mail (one account checks every 15 mins, the other every 2 hours)
- data connection kept live 24/7
- backlight at 60% - auto-off feature set for 2 minutes of idle time
- constantly running apps :
# VITO SMS-Chat 1.1
# SPB Mobile Shell 2.1 (weather set to auto-update)
# SPB Diary Today Plugin

- and I get HORRIBLE cel reception in my office.. the data connection drops and reconnects several times throughout the day so big battery sucker being here at work.

Now I've recently upgraded to the Seidio 3500mAh extended battery and I've only been charging via the wall charger and its been lasting me about 3 1/2 days with that same usage. Since they claim it's double the lifespan, I would assume that the stock battery SHOULD last me about 1 3/4 days if I began charging it appropriately.
Old 06-18-2008, 05:15 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Threadstarter

well i have another battery on the way, so i will fully charge it for 24 hours, and then we will see what happens. If anybody else has experienced this, by all means chime in...

Thanks
Old 06-18-2008, 10:12 PM
N00b
Pocket PC: Samsung Omnia II
Carrier: Bell

benven is just getting started

I have found the opposite. Just flashed the ROM on the weekend. Basically, the same ROM as you flashed littleritchie. But I seem to be getting better battery life. Mixed charging, wall, PC and car charger. I can go the whole day now without charging. Whereas before flashing, I would have to plug it in when I got home from work. Actually, the car charger is charging the battery now!!
Old 06-19-2008, 09:48 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Threadstarter

Here's an update...

I charged the phone with it on last night for 7 hours, and it never fully charged, the orange light was still on. 15 minutes later i was down to 90% without doing anything.

Were there any changes to the way the ROMs charge the battery that might be causing an issue?

For now i will charge the batteries in the cradle, and swap them out daily...
Old 06-19-2008, 04:06 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: touch pro
Carrier: sprint

strawsy is a n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by themirthfulswami View Post
Hard for me to answer that since I had been dealing with a funky battery for a couple months of my own doing... with that battery I could just about make it through a day with my "normal" usage as I will detail like this :

- approximately 100 text msgs (all-inclusive incoming/outgoing)
- approximately 30 minutes of voice time
- approximately 1 hour of web-surfing time (cumulative)
- a game or two of sudoku or bubble breaker in the bathroom at work LOL
- wifi off
- bluetooth off
- two email accounts actively checking for new POP mail (one account checks every 15 mins, the other every 2 hours)
- data connection kept live 24/7
- backlight at 60% - auto-off feature set for 2 minutes of idle time
- constantly running apps :
# VITO SMS-Chat 1.1
# SPB Mobile Shell 2.1 (weather set to auto-update)
# SPB Diary Today Plugin

- and I get HORRIBLE cel reception in my office.. the data connection drops and reconnects several times throughout the day so big battery sucker being here at work.

Now I've recently upgraded to the Seidio 3500mAh extended battery and I've only been charging via the wall charger and its been lasting me about 3 1/2 days with that same usage. Since they claim it's double the lifespan, I would assume that the stock battery SHOULD last me about 1 3/4 days if I began charging it appropriately.

Dang you get pretty good battery life if all that is of the normal battery. I talk for maybe 2 hours tops a day and play a few games and mine drains. Heres something I think may play a role in battery life. I believe you need a quality charger, like the one it comes with, not a cheap 5 dollar one. Lol at the games in the bathroom because, I do the same thing it helps me concentrate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by littlerichie29 View Post
Here's an update...

I charged the phone with it on last night for 7 hours, and it never fully charged, the orange light was still on. 15 minutes later i was down to 90% without doing anything.

Were there any changes to the way the ROMs charge the battery that might be causing an issue?

For now i will charge the batteries in the cradle, and swap them out daily...
Do you have the original battery or a third party one. What about the charger? How long have you had the battery? Although I am new to the ppc phones, could you possibly have a virus that is draining your battery?

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Titan