PPCGeeks

PPCGeeks (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/index.php)
-   HTC Titan (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=44)
-   -   Sprint PRI UPDATE - 5 second GPS locks - cab attached (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=29526)

holo 06-17-2008 07:56 PM

Sprint PRI UPDATE - 5 second GPS locks - cab attached

1 Attachment(s)
*****SPRINT ONLY DO NOT RUN ON ANOTHER CARRIER*****

updated to include PRI from beta rom customizations....

PRI update ripped from beta rom customizations - enables access to the sprint GPS assistance server for nearly instant GPS locks.

If you have not run beta rom customizations follow the instructions below.

INSTRUCTIONS:

1) Unzip and install the cab file below on your device

2) Navigate to \windows and run PPST.exe and follow the prompts

You only have to do this once and it permanently updates the PRI (not the same as PRL) for your device enabling access to the sprint GPS assistance server.

Note that this may also update your PRL to the latest available at the time so if you have a newer one you put on yourself you may want to update it again. If you don't know what this means it probably gave you a newer one than you had on there anyways so don't worry about it.

I still see people complaining about poor lock times/etc using sprint and there is no reason for that - your gps can be AMAZING!

Note: I still have GPS mode set to 2 (some claim setting to 4 actually leads to worse results with this fix - shrug - doesn't seem to make a big difference for me). I do not run nor recommend QuickGPS/etc as these seem to be complete placebo.

Enjoy! 5 second locks every time, no kidding (faster outdoors even). I'm not sure why this isn't in the GPS stickies and definitely recommend that it be added as it is AMAZING the lock times and extreme number of satellites you can get from this.

jimnutt 06-17-2008 09:20 PM

Re: Sprint PRI UPDATE - 5 second locks on GPS - cab attached

For those on other carriers, this fix might help. It doesn't seem to have improved things much for me on Verizon, but your mileage may vary.

jrflurry 06-17-2008 09:29 PM

Thanks Holo! Good find. I seem to see an amazing diff. in how fast Trakpal finds GPS. it use to take almost a full minute now it just jumps right on.

sl8763 06-17-2008 09:56 PM

Stupid question, but for those of us on the stock Sprint 3.35 ROM, this isn't necessary right?

holo 06-17-2008 09:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sl8763 (Post 317948)
Stupid question, but for those of us on the stock Sprint 3.35 ROM, this isn't necessary right?

It IS still necessary, this is from the 3.49 beta rom customizations - try it and prepare to be amazed... reflashing or hard resetting on 3.35 and letting the customizations run actually UNDOES this...

wILLk0r3 818 06-17-2008 10:31 PM

Re: Sprint PRI UPDATE - 5 second GPS locks - cab attached

I want to try this but ever since the last offical ROM came out, I have been getting 8-12 sats in view and 6-10 in use depending on my location in around 5 seconds. And I dont know about HTC QuickGPS but I think it has worked for me quite well. Can someone tell me why it really doesnt work?

j10376 06-17-2008 10:32 PM

This is marked as the same version that is in the leaked sprint rom is there something that was modified in this one.

holo 06-17-2008 10:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wILLk0r3 818 (Post 317982)
I want to try this but ever since the last offical ROM came out, I have been getting 8-12 sats in view and 6-10 in use depending on my location in around 5 seconds. And I dont know about HTC QuickGPS but I think it has worked for me quite well. Can someone tell me why it really doesnt work?

If by official you mean the "official" sprint 3.49 beta rom and you let customizations run then you already have this PRI update...

To answer your other question, QuickGPS came stock on the AT&T tilt and I believe another device or two and it creates a file with the current satellite locations - there has been debate over whether or not the titan will read this file and from what I understand the consensus is that no it does not. If you don't run QuickGPS I would imagine you would not see a difference as it is the 3.49 beta rom PRI update that is giving you these lock times. A few others including one of my friends have reported getting really fast lock times with the 3.35 rom already but this does not seem to include the majority of users.

holo 06-17-2008 10:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by j10376 (Post 317985)
This is marked as the same version that is in the leaked sprint rom is there something that was modified in this one.

No, as I said this is ripped straight from the 3.49 beta rom... If you let customizations run on that rom then you already have it but many people have not installed this rom or skipped customizations when they flashed it...

mrgeoff 06-17-2008 10:38 PM

Quick question.... would you know if this is compatible for the Vogue?