PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Titan

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-15-2008, 06:48 PM
N00b
Pocket PC: nunha
Carrier: sprint

manoosie is just getting started
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Exclamation Car stereo decks with built-in bluetooth for music and phone, need feedback

I have started looking for the right car deck with built in bluetooth and I think posting what I have found, and invite others to do so, would be helpful. There are past threads about various options for music streaming and using your phone through the car stereo, but this thread is about specific in-car decks/receivers which can stream music and work with the mogul through bluetooth. Here is a general list of what bluetooth decks can do, although not all decks include all of these features:

PHONE CAPABILITIES

-take and receive calls with car stereo
-Caller ID on the dash
-dial numbers directly on dash
-import phonebook
-show call history, sms history
-receive incoming sms
-mic on faceplate or Mic placed anywhere you want
-after initial pairing, mogul automatically connects to deck for phone capabilities

MUSIC STREAMING CAPABILITIES

-play music on mobile through car stereo using AD2P
-See Artist, track info of music
-(not sure if possible) after initial pairing, mogul automatically connects to deck for phone capabilities

SPECIFIC DECKS

Here are the best decks I have found through my research. Keep in mind I have never bought a deck before and have not used any of these. Any information I have found is through internet reviews on amazon and crutchfield. I tried to post them in the order of best to worst according to what I have read. I am totally open to change and am looking for as much feedback as possible. I am hoping to purchase a deck this week. The prices I quote are only estimates. Thanks for your help and I hope this helps others!

JVC KD-BT1 ($220)

http://www.crutchfield.com/App/Produ...&tp=5684&avf=N

Pros: Best reviews for phone I have read, can change color scheme
Cons: Can be hard to read screen at night, one review had pairing problems with HTC 6700

Pioneer FH-P8000BT and DEH-P7000BT ($220, double din $250)

http://www.crutchfield.com/App/Produ...w&rvm=ShowAllt
double din version
http://www.crutchfield.com/App/Produ...w&rvm=ShowAllt

Pros: Great reviews overall, no real negatives
Cons: Very bright at night, no way to dim

DP Video D352XB ($260 only at frys)

http://shop1.frys.com/product/556813...H:MAIN_RSLT_PG

Pros: It has everything, including a touchscreen which plays dvds. Much cheaper than anything else around.
Cons: Absolutely no reviews and its only sold at frys. (Anyone have any experience with this unit or DP Video?)

Parrot RK8200 ($260)

http://www.cnettv.com/9742-1_53-31320.html
http://www.crutchfield.com/App/Produ...RK8200&tp=5684

Pros: Has every connection possible, has numbers for phone on dash, has 1 gig flash memory, empty space behind the face
Cons: no cd player, no reviews

Sony MEX-BT5100 ($280)

Pros: Lots of connection options, good review on cnet
cons: impossible to see screen in sunlight, microphone is too small and is not the best

Sony MEX-BT2600 ($150)

Pros: Best bang for your buck, aux port on the front
Cons: must use phone for incoming calls, mic not good because its behind the face of the deck
This post has been thanked 7 times.
Old 06-15-2008, 07:42 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: touch pro

strawsy is a n00b
Re: Car stereo decks with built-in bluetooth for music and phone, need feedback

Man I really like that double din pioneer. I might have to get one of them myself. You can find it for 249 on newegg, just so you know.
Old 06-15-2008, 07:43 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Evo 4G
Carrier: Sprint

JaredC01 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularJaredC01 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularJaredC01 is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

I personally have the Pioneer P7000BT. It pairs up properly with my phone for both audio, and phone calls without any issue (and does so automatically every time).

Audio quality is decent, though not at good as a CD of the same music sounds. It's close enough for most to be happy with however.

The phone portion of the deck works fine. The audio quality is no better than the regular speaker on the phone though. Microphone is clear, so long as it's in a place where it can breathe (has to have enough ambient air). I've not messed with the settings too much, but standard it shows the number of the caller when receiving a call on the deck.

Overall I'd recommend the deck to anyone looking for a decent quality BT deck...

Overall Sound Quality - 8/10
BT Sound Quality - 7.5/10
Microphone Quality - 7/10

There's really not any better alternatives in the same price range. The standard features on the deck are better than most, and the upgrade modules are relatively cheap compared to other companies.

-------------------------------------------------

Also, for those wondering about HD Radio, I've got the add-on module with my receiver...

For the FM stations, the difference in sound is very noticeable... Once HD kicks in (it takes a few seconds to pick up the signal after you tune in to a station), the quality takes a large jump... Sounds go from very compressed with very little high and low end, to bright highs, and decently crisp lows.

Regular FM - 5/10
HD FM - 7.5/10

For the AM stations, sound quality difference is unbelieveable. There's no hiss, there's no background noise, there's nothing to say that it's an AM station. I honestly didn't believe it was an AM station when I first tuned in. The quality isn't quite as good as the HD FM, however it seems to be a bit better than regular FM.

Regular AM - 3/10
HD AM - 7/10
Old 06-15-2008, 07:56 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Mine, 6800 with 20273 ROM / Wifes 6800 with Stock ROM
Carrier: US Cellular

President Fluid is just getting started
Send a message via MSN to President Fluid

Go with the Pioneer. It would be your best bet. And as for the dimming on it most will either be wired to tie in with the parking/dash light circuit or be able to dim the display through the functions menu OR will do both. I have yet to install a Pioneer that has no dim function.
Old 06-15-2008, 08:34 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: Windows Mobile 6.1

Tsyle is a n00b

Anyone have experience with the JVC KD-AVX44J? I tested out this headunit at frys and it connected fine. I just couldn't test the sound quality. Do any of you guys have any comments about this head unit?
Old 06-15-2008, 09:05 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: P100EWW

ScrapMaker knows their stuffScrapMaker knows their stuffScrapMaker knows their stuffScrapMaker knows their stuffScrapMaker knows their stuffScrapMaker knows their stuffScrapMaker knows their stuff

I vote for the Pioneer DEH-P980BT (Premeire Model.)

You must know, that HTC phones sometimes have issues with Pioneer (and BT in general.) you may have problems with auto-connect, and you will DEFINITELY have problems streaming music while connected as hands-free... it has problems reconnecting and streaming...
Old 06-15-2008, 10:20 PM
N00b
Pocket PC: nunha
Threadstarter

manoosie is just getting started

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScrapMaker View Post
I vote for the Pioneer DEH-P980BT (Premeire Model.)

You must know, that HTC phones sometimes have issues with Pioneer (and BT in general.) you may have problems with auto-connect, and you will DEFINITELY have problems streaming music while connected as hands-free... it has problems reconnecting and streaming...
I saw that model but it was out of my price range and I didnt get the feeling that the bluetooth was that superior to the other models. I have heard that as well about htc phones and bluetooth... does anyone use the mogul with these?
Old 06-15-2008, 11:17 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: touch pro

strawsy is a n00b

Do you not read posts in your own thread, lol. Because this guy uses the mogul.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaredC01 View Post
I personally have the Pioneer P7000BT. It pairs up properly with my phone for both audio, and phone calls without any issue (and does so automatically every time).

Audio quality is decent, though not at good as a CD of the same music sounds. It's close enough for most to be happy with however.

The phone portion of the deck works fine. The audio quality is no better than the regular speaker on the phone though. Microphone is clear, so long as it's in a place where it can breathe (has to have enough ambient air). I've not messed with the settings too much, but standard it shows the number of the caller when receiving a call on the deck.

Overall I'd recommend the deck to anyone looking for a decent quality BT deck...

Overall Sound Quality - 8/10
BT Sound Quality - 7.5/10
Microphone Quality - 7/10

There's really not any better alternatives in the same price range. The standard features on the deck are better than most, and the upgrade modules are relatively cheap compared to other companies.

-------------------------------------------------

Also, for those wondering about HD Radio, I've got the add-on module with my receiver...

For the FM stations, the difference in sound is very noticeable... Once HD kicks in (it takes a few seconds to pick up the signal after you tune in to a station), the quality takes a large jump... Sounds go from very compressed with very little high and low end, to bright highs, and decently crisp lows.

Regular FM - 5/10
HD FM - 7.5/10

For the AM stations, sound quality difference is unbelieveable. There's no hiss, there's no background noise, there's nothing to say that it's an AM station. I honestly didn't believe it was an AM station when I first tuned in. The quality isn't quite as good as the HD FM, however it seems to be a bit better than regular FM.

Regular AM - 3/10
HD AM - 7/10
Old 06-15-2008, 11:18 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Evo 4G

JaredC01 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularJaredC01 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularJaredC01 is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

The 2008 models from Pioneer seem to work better with BT than the older models (980 and 9800BT). That, and expandability are what made me get the 08 model.

Also, I've not found the dimming function on my Pioneer yet, and there is no dimmer wire.
Old 06-15-2008, 11:20 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: P100EWW

ScrapMaker knows their stuffScrapMaker knows their stuffScrapMaker knows their stuffScrapMaker knows their stuffScrapMaker knows their stuffScrapMaker knows their stuffScrapMaker knows their stuff

the 980bt works pretty amazing with bluetooth... quality is great and pretty compatible. i love that my stereo pauses and plays the call through my speakers. the mic works pretty well with the noise cancelling...

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Titan