PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Titan

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-09-2008, 04:19 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Droid X
Carrier: Verizon

Gulanowski is keeping up the good workGulanowski is keeping up the good work
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Did I do the GPS enabling right?

I followed all the instructions I could find to get the GPS running on my XV6800 and here I am...not able to get Pharos Ostia or Google Maps to recognize the GPS. I gave it 5 - 10 minutes in an open area too.

However, I have GPS Viewer running and although It says "Acquiring: No Fix" under the "GPS Status" tab, I am seeing, off and on, little red satellite bubbles on the picture of the earth. Is that an indication that I did indeed do this whole ordeal properly? Maybe there is a setting somewhere that wouldn't be there unless I did this whole process properly. I don't know, you tell me.

Also, for any of you whom may be familiar with Pharos, I am able to successfully initialize the GPS as well as power it on, but then it just stays at "Acquiring GPS Signal", which leads me to believe that the GPS is working properly, but for whatever reason Pharos can't use it. The sad thing is that I didn't test Pharos on the XV6800 before I did this rom and radio update, so I have no way of being certain if I did indeed change the GPS for the better. BTW, I use Pharos all the time on my other Pocket PC with an external GPS receiver and it works great. Any ideas?

Thanks,
Marcus

Last edited by Gulanowski; 06-09-2008 at 05:14 PM.
Old 06-09-2008, 06:49 PM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: Motorola Droid

Nickles knows their stuffNickles knows their stuffNickles knows their stuffNickles knows their stuffNickles knows their stuffNickles knows their stuffNickles knows their stuff
Re: Did I do the GPS enabling right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gulanowski View Post
I followed all the instructions I could find to get the GPS running on my XV6800 and here I am...not able to get Pharos Ostia or Google Maps to recognize the GPS. I gave it 5 - 10 minutes in an open area too.

However, I have GPS Viewer running and although It says "Acquiring: No Fix" under the "GPS Status" tab, I am seeing, off and on, little red satellite bubbles on the picture of the earth. Is that an indication that I did indeed do this whole ordeal properly? Maybe there is a setting somewhere that wouldn't be there unless I did this whole process properly. I don't know, you tell me.

Also, for any of you whom may be familiar with Pharos, I am able to successfully initialize the GPS as well as power it on, but then it just stays at "Acquiring GPS Signal", which leads me to believe that the GPS is working properly, but for whatever reason Pharos can't use it. The sad thing is that I didn't test Pharos on the XV6800 before I did this rom and radio update, so I have no way of being certain if I did indeed change the GPS for the better. BTW, I use Pharos all the time on my other Pocket PC with an external GPS receiver and it works great. Any ideas?

Thanks,
Marcus
you'll usually need to let GPS Viewer run for a good bit first, to get your satellite locks..
make sure you'r on COM4, with a 4800 port speed..

and under the PHONE option, make sure location is 'on'..
and the External GPS setting is set to COM4 for it's program port, the Hardware Port set to NONE, and under the Access tab - Manage GPS Automatically, is checked.

Holux GPS Viewer will display varying Red globes on the earth as it looks for it's lock.. just let it run for a bit, while outside with a clear view of the sky, and you should be in business..
Old 06-09-2008, 07:54 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Droid X
Threadstarter

Gulanowski is keeping up the good workGulanowski is keeping up the good work
Re: Did I do the GPS enabling right?

Thanks Nickles. I feel pretty dumb, because I read all over the place that you need a clear view of the sky. I figured that my window would be good enough, but I figured I'd go outside for the heck of it. WOW, picked it up in 5 seconds. Live Search and Google Maps work fine, Ostia doesn't but that's because Ostia is glitchy (i.e. it wont let me open the GPS settings).

This thing is so sick, I can't believe I waited so long to get a smartphone, there's so much I can do from one little device.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Titan