PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Titan

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-03-2008, 07:24 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: WM 6.1
Carrier: Verizon

beluczywo is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Question Kitchen Holy Grail - Hard Reset to Perfect Device

All:
I need help. There are clearly enough building blocks for this but I need a short tutorial on how to tie it all together.

Let's say I use the latest Titan Kitchen, pick and choose my stuff.
I use OEMizer to set my name, address, etc.
But now I have some customizations and I don't want to keep having to go through this after every hard reset or new kitchen -- maybe I need to be using Tier Autoinstall and/or some other scripting stuff. Here's the stuff that causing me trouble:

CAB installs post reset -- wsync has no kitchen item and requires run-time config. I'd also love to have it store stuff on the ExtROM but have had no luck. I've read and re-read memory theory and still can't wrap my brain around how ROM, RAM, Ext-ROM, and XIP parallel the PC world of Hard Drive, RAM, ???, and ???

I need SQLCE2.0 -- runs off the micro-SD card, but there are some registry pokes to point to the card -- how do I find what they are, where do I put them when I do?

Trialware -- need to enter the serial numbers, and do run-time configs -- like no striped lists in Resco, show hidden files, that sort of thing, today screen enables or disables -- again, I assume reg pokes or ini files, but how to find and how to script?

StartMenu links -- I hate having to go relink to everything on my card -- I have many, many programs that run just fine with no installs, but I want the shortcuts. Similar problem with cLaunch's list of icon items and with the system tray settings at the bottom of the screen.

Restore of Contacts -- I use PIM Backup and can restore easily from a saved set on my card, but can I script an initial run of PIM Backup after a hard reset?

What I'm trying to get to is a way to grab a new kitchen, essentially get the benefit of new progs and bug fixes, but look more like a windows update run -- no messing with my look-and-feel, but updates of anything that is necessary and the benefit of more stability.

I have Sprite Backup, but it's pretty useless for this -- it seems pretty locked to a core -- like WM6.0. If I grab a 6.1 kitchen then sprite restore a 6.0 image over it, I basically end up with a hodge-podge that is very unstable or something tha is pure 6.0 or it just plain won't run.

Anyway, thanks for the help -- I'm sure some of the real hackers have some shortcut ways to not lose productive time on their only phone while playing. Anything you can do to sketch out your process would be much appreciated -- I don't need screen shots or stuff to that detail, but "use this program, look here" level of detail would be really nice. I have haunted the forums and read volumes, and there is some good stuff, but it tends to not be integrated into a single how-to on using a kitchen without driving your wife batty in the process because your phone never works right since you are "just tweaking a few things".

TIA
I truly feel like it proves the saying "standing on the shoulders of giants".
I've been in software for 20 years and I still can't see how you've done it.
Old 06-03-2008, 07:32 PM
SuperNoob
Pocket PC: iPhone 5s
Carrier: TMobile

rstoyguy can't get a higher reputation levelrstoyguy can't get a higher reputation levelrstoyguy can't get a higher reputation levelrstoyguy can't get a higher reputation levelrstoyguy can't get a higher reputation levelrstoyguy can't get a higher reputation levelrstoyguy can't get a higher reputation levelrstoyguy can't get a higher reputation levelrstoyguy can't get a higher reputation levelrstoyguy can't get a higher reputation levelrstoyguy can't get a higher reputation level
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: Kitchen Holy Grail - Hard Reset to Perfect Device

Quote:
Originally Posted by beluczywo View Post
All:
I need help. There are clearly enough building blocks for this but I need a short tutorial on how to tie it all together.

Let's say I use the latest Titan Kitchen, pick and choose my stuff.
I use OEMizer to set my name, address, etc.
But now I have some customizations and I don't want to keep having to go through this after every hard reset or new kitchen -- maybe I need to be using Tier Autoinstall and/or some other scripting stuff. Here's the stuff that causing me trouble:

CAB installs post reset -- wsync has no kitchen item and requires run-time config. I'd also love to have it store stuff on the ExtROM but have had no luck. I've read and re-read memory theory and still can't wrap my brain around how ROM, RAM, Ext-ROM, and XIP parallel the PC world of Hard Drive, RAM, ???, and ???

I need SQLCE2.0 -- runs off the micro-SD card, but there are some registry pokes to point to the card -- how do I find what they are, where do I put them when I do?

Trialware -- need to enter the serial numbers, and do run-time configs -- like no striped lists in Resco, show hidden files, that sort of thing, today screen enables or disables -- again, I assume reg pokes or ini files, but how to find and how to script?

StartMenu links -- I hate having to go relink to everything on my card -- I have many, many programs that run just fine with no installs, but I want the shortcuts. Similar problem with cLaunch's list of icon items and with the system tray settings at the bottom of the screen.

Restore of Contacts -- I use PIM Backup and can restore easily from a saved set on my card, but can I script an initial run of PIM Backup after a hard reset?

What I'm trying to get to is a way to grab a new kitchen, essentially get the benefit of new progs and bug fixes, but look more like a windows update run -- no messing with my look-and-feel, but updates of anything that is necessary and the benefit of more stability.

I have Sprite Backup, but it's pretty useless for this -- it seems pretty locked to a core -- like WM6.0. If I grab a 6.1 kitchen then sprite restore a 6.0 image over it, I basically end up with a hodge-podge that is very unstable or something tha is pure 6.0 or it just plain won't run.

Anyway, thanks for the help -- I'm sure some of the real hackers have some shortcut ways to not lose productive time on their only phone while playing. Anything you can do to sketch out your process would be much appreciated -- I don't need screen shots or stuff to that detail, but "use this program, look here" level of detail would be really nice. I have haunted the forums and read volumes, and there is some good stuff, but it tends to not be integrated into a single how-to on using a kitchen without driving your wife batty in the process because your phone never works right since you are "just tweaking a few things".

TIA
Some of my tutorials in my sig may help...That is quite a list! You may need to geek-out for a couple weeks and learn all that. Where there is a will, there is a way...

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Titan