PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Titan
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-03-2008, 12:49 AM
Lurker
Pocket PC: Titan

Jory is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
New Titan User has some questions

Hello everyone,

I would like to start of by saying sorry for my ignorance in advance. I just bought my Titan/Mogul from sprint today and it is the first PDA phone I ever owned so I have a lot to learn. The most important thing for me is to get everything out of my mogul that is possible, in other words I don't want to use it for just a phone....However I do not know anything. THe user manual that came with my mogul is horrible, So here are some questions that I woud really apprisiate if some one could help me out with:

1: What are Rom's. What do they do and what are they for.
2: How to I make or place a theme on my Mogul so that it is everywhere not just the "today" screen. in other words make the "white" background something not white ( I know this is trivial but it's a biggy for me)
3: How do I unlock my ringtones so I can send them via bluetooth.
4: Can I have some resourses and weblinks where I can download free or cheap applications
5: How can I get GPS with my Mogul/What is the best/cheapest Way?

Thank you, I know this is probably goning to make some of you mad asking what are very basic questions.
Old 06-03-2008, 01:46 AM
Lurker

oulaw is a n00b
Re: New Titan User has some questions

Your not going to get too much help on this website, everyone seems like *******s, but in reality they are just much smarter than you about this stuff and dont have the time to teach you, what to them is simple. I dont know **** about all this either and just modded the hell out of my mogul. I ended up adding abotu 20 programs with only a couple small issues (appearnce i didnt like caused by a couple) so I just set my mogul back to default and reloaded the ones i like. Just start running searched for names of programs, and make sure to select in "title only" not the whole thread and limit search to titan thread. You will have more than enough to get you in trouble with that.
Old 06-03-2008, 02:23 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Evo 4G
Carrier: Sprint

JaredC01 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularJaredC01 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularJaredC01 is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

... Interesting post oulaw.

I'll help ya where I can:

1. The ROM for your phone is similar to a BIOS for a computer. It's what controls all of the hardware in your phone, and communicates with the operating system (in short). It's good to update your phone when new ROMs become available to get the latest and greatest features. Sprint actually has one coming out very soon based on what I've read here.

If you're interested in learning about making a custom ROM for your phone, read here... http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=19560, and check out the sub-forum 'HTC Titan Upgrades', though based on the questions asked, it will be a bit of time before you're ready for that step.

2. If you're asking how to get a different background for folders (like Programs, Settings, etc.) there's no way I'm aware of to change the background image. Most themes will change the color of the bars though. Look into the themes forum (off the main forum) for some themes.

3. I'm actually not sure exactly how to answer this one... I've not bought a ringtone in quite some time, so I'm not sure about locking/unlocking and sending. You can quite easily transfer an MP3 over to your phone and use it as a ringtone though. From there, you should be able to send it over bluetooth just like any other file.

4. For some free applications, there's http://freewarepocketpc.net. They've got a TON of free apps. There's also the forums here .

5. I personally use the Telenav program from Sprint, but I've also got free GPS with my plan. There's a whole thread on GPS here... http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=17032. Take a peek and decide for yourself which you like best.

That's about all I can tell you for now... There's plenty of help here, though the Search function is your friend
Old 06-03-2008, 06:02 AM
Lurker
Pocket PC: HTC Evo 4G

jason25 is halfway to VIP status based on repjason25 is halfway to VIP status based on repjason25 is halfway to VIP status based on repjason25 is halfway to VIP status based on repjason25 is halfway to VIP status based on repjason25 is halfway to VIP status based on repjason25 is halfway to VIP status based on repjason25 is halfway to VIP status based on repjason25 is halfway to VIP status based on repjason25 is halfway to VIP status based on repjason25 is halfway to VIP status based on rep

nice summary Jared, ya *******

Old 06-03-2008, 07:32 AM
Banned User

dzuchowski is becoming a great contributor
Thumbs up Re: New Titan User has some questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jory View Post
Hello everyone,

I would like to start of by saying sorry for my ignorance in advance. I just bought my Titan/Mogul from sprint today and it is the first PDA phone I ever owned so I have a lot to learn. The most important thing for me is to get everything out of my mogul that is possible, in other words I don't want to use it for just a phone....However I do not know anything. THe user manual that came with my mogul is horrible, So here are some questions that I woud really apprisiate if some one could help me out with:

2: How to I make or place a theme on my Mogul so that it is everywhere not just the "today" screen. in other words make the "white" background something not white ( I know this is trivial but it's a biggy for me)
4: Can I have some resourses and weblinks where I can download free or cheap applications

Thank you, I know this is probably goning to make some of you mad asking what are very basic questions.

A ROM image, or simply ROM, is a computer file which contains a copy of the data from a read-only memory chip, often from a video game cartridge, a computer's firmware, or from an arcade game's main board. The term is frequently used in the context of emulation, whereby older games or computer firmware are copied to ROM files on modern computers and can, using a piece of software known as an emulator, be run on the newer computer.

ROM images are also used when developing for embedded computers. Software which is being developed for embedded computers is often written to ROM files for testing on a standard computer before it is written to a ROM chip for use in the embedded system. At present, this article deals mainly with the use of ROM in relation to emulation.

use a program like wisbar 3

why would you send via bluetooth? transfer them via the transflash i use an 8gb

http://www.freewarepocketpc.net/

buy a garmin or a tom tom... screen is not big enough i like the garmin with hook up to my 24" hdmi monitor on my motorcycle. i also installed a shield with intergrated video on it
Old 06-09-2008, 09:35 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: HTC Mogul

scottpj is a n00b

1. ROM => Read Only Memory. Usually not able to be modified. New USB Drives are EEPROMS => Electronically Erasable Programmable Read Only Memory. Long term storage about 10 or so years and can be changed using a electronic signal.
3. Using the ActiveSync 4.5, you can copy mp3 files to the storage My Ringtones.
5. I created a program which will allow the usage of the internal gpsOne chip. I could send you a copy. You can email me at scottpj@hughes.net

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Titan