PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Titan
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-02-2008, 07:37 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro2 on Telus
Carrier: Telus

izuzu knows their stuffizuzu knows their stuffizuzu knows their stuffizuzu knows their stuffizuzu knows their stuffizuzu knows their stuff
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Talking Which GPS satelite receiver program works best for you?

Which GPS satelite receiver program works best for you?

Many work great and others don't work at all.

which one works the best for your titan?
Old 06-02-2008, 08:03 PM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: touch pro
Carrier: sprint

holo knows their stuffholo knows their stuffholo knows their stuffholo knows their stuffholo knows their stuffholo knows their stuffholo knows their stuff
Re: Which GPS satelite receiver program works best for you?

Quote:
Originally Posted by izuzu View Post
Which GPS satelite receiver program works best for you?

Many work great and others don't work at all.

which one works the best for your titan?
are you talking about for directions/mapping/etc?

I use garmin mobile xt for turn by turn directions. The commercial app comes in 2 versions a) locked to a microsd card b) locked to their gps, but there's a way around it if you get my drift. It's the best one out from what I have seen, and I have tried tomtom, iguidance, and a few others. Iguidance is nice but it is not built for WM natively and therefore is verrrrry slow, tomtom is nice but garmin mobile xt comes with free ad supported traffic (you get to see a little ad for a hotel company or something while it routes - just a little image in the 'routing' box - not intrusive at all and it goes away when it figures out the route). Garmin mobile xt also has an app to load custom map sets on (on a state by state basis), the only ones I could find for tomtom were the whole us/canada which is huge (>1gig).

For just looking stuff up and getting location info, google maps and live search are amazing too.
Old 06-02-2008, 08:38 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: HTC EVO 4G
Carrier: Sprint

RicoRich196 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularRicoRich196 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularRicoRich196 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularRicoRich196 is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

What I don't like about Google Maps is that its only a round dot with no real direction, are there any apps (similar to Google maps, which I use for when walking around in Manhattan and whatnot to find banks/starbucks ect) that show an arrow allowing me to know what direction I'm going in? Or any apps made for walking directions rather than driving

Last edited by RicoRich196; 06-02-2008 at 08:43 PM.
Old 06-02-2008, 10:42 PM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: HTC EVO
Carrier: Sprint

nmhusa is becoming a PPCGeeks regularnmhusa is becoming a PPCGeeks regularnmhusa is becoming a PPCGeeks regularnmhusa is becoming a PPCGeeks regularnmhusa is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Cool Re: Which GPS satelite receiver program works best for you?

I prefer iGuidance 4.0 from iNavcorp. The maps are clean with good text detail and POI. The entire US fits in a 1.3Gb space (with plenty of room to spare on a 6-12GB Microsd card). Text to Speech (reads out full street names and directions and not TURN LEFT OR RIGHT AT NEXT INTERSECTION) for street names is perfect and beats TomTom (non-existant TTS) and iGO (non-existant TTS) (probably Garmin too). The ability to try a demo run with the GPS off is nice as it allows a turn by turn preview indoors if the GPS lock is poor. I keep the iGuidance 4.0 Cab install file on the microsd card and can reinstall the software following a ROM update without loading it back from a DVD and since it doesn't need a serial key to run, I am back up an running following a ROM update with no downtime at all. Currently using No2Chems NueRom 2 v5054.

It does need Fransons GPSgate to work properly with the Mogul built in GPS (hope that gets fixed sometime in the future... but it is a problem with the Mogul drivers and not the Iguidance software as the software works great with any bluetooth GPS unit I have used).

Links to the website and forum to make it work properly with the Mogul are attached.

http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=17032

iNav iGuidance website... http://www.inavcorp.com/product/navi...e_software.php
http://www.inavcorp.com/product/gall...cd=3.%20%20PPC

Google Maps is great for a quick POI check if I am in EVDO signal range, but I still prefer to drive with Iguidance running.
Old 06-03-2008, 12:05 PM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: touch pro
Carrier: sprint

holo knows their stuffholo knows their stuffholo knows their stuffholo knows their stuffholo knows their stuffholo knows their stuffholo knows their stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by RicoRich196 View Post
What I don't like about Google Maps is that its only a round dot with no real direction, are there any apps (similar to Google maps, which I use for when walking around in Manhattan and whatnot to find banks/starbucks ect) that show an arrow allowing me to know what direction I'm going in? Or any apps made for walking directions rather than driving
If you're looking for a free solution that doesn't involve a big install like google maps, live search will do this (although it doesn't talk if I remember correctly). As the previous poster mentioned, iGuidance, TomTom, iGo, and Garmin will work like a real GPS unit you have purchased (enter an address and it walks you through it telling you where to go). These will also work while you are on the phone. These are all commercial though. iGuidance is nice since it says street names, but I find it way too slow. Garmin has free traffic over the net and I find it the best just no saying street names. The sprint navigation package will also say roadway names I guess but I have never used it and it costs $9.99 a month if you don't have a vision package that includes it (most don't) - if you have sprint that is. It also requires you to be on the net so you can't talk on the phone at the same time.
Old 06-03-2008, 03:35 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Droid
Carrier: Verizon

ajm144k knows their stuffajm144k knows their stuffajm144k knows their stuffajm144k knows their stuffajm144k knows their stuffajm144k knows their stuffajm144k knows their stuffajm144k knows their stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by RicoRich196 View Post
you are looking for the application that is most likely being advertised in between all of these threads.

in case you cant find the advertisements though: http://www.livesearchmobile.com/windows_mobile.htm

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Titan