PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Titan
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-26-2008, 03:55 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Omnia II
Carrier: Verizon

Robtao is keeping up the good workRobtao is keeping up the good work
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Verizon XV6800 backlight OFF isn't??

When my backlight on Ebay XV6800 times out, it doesn't turn off all the way. Kind of like the lowest setting for brightness on the setting screen, but in any screen, when it should turn off.

I got 2 units, one works normally.

Is this some setting, or registration setting? Or should I return this unit for a replacement while they will still accept it?

(It has a ding on one side of the screen frame which seems to cause a couple of hot spots on the screen. Might be related.)
Old 05-28-2008, 01:16 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Threadstarter

Re: Verizon XV6800 backlight OFF isn't??

I am guessing I am an idiot and everybody is just being kind not to point it out.
New phone. No manual.
So the backlight doesn't shut off all the way at timeout (normally), and the other unit only appeared to be shutting it off completely, probably because the timer for the backlight and the timer for the power were both set to the same time maybe?

Just trying to figure out what is wierd and what is normal. (short return period policy from this Ebay seller.) Used to the XV6700 which appears to turn off all the way at timeout.
Old 05-28-2008, 07:53 PM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: Motorola Droid

Nickles knows their stuffNickles knows their stuffNickles knows their stuffNickles knows their stuffNickles knows their stuffNickles knows their stuffNickles knows their stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robtao View Post
I am guessing I am an idiot and everybody is just being kind not to point it out.
New phone. No manual.
So the backlight doesn't shut off all the way at timeout (normally), and the other unit only appeared to be shutting it off completely, probably because the timer for the backlight and the timer for the power were both set to the same time maybe?

Just trying to figure out what is wierd and what is normal. (short return period policy from this Ebay seller.) Used to the XV6700 which appears to turn off all the way at timeout.
Well, under Settings, then System, there is a 'Backlight' icon.
clicking that will allow you to adjust the actual backlight setting itself (while on Battery, and on Power).
then, at the bottom, click 'Menu', then 'Power'. then click the 'Advanced' tab.
this will then bring you to the settings that manage when your device actually turns OFF the screen.. (not just dimming of the backlight, like under the 'Backlight' setting).

tinker with both of those settings.. i have my 'power' settings set to turn off after 2 mins...

hope this helps ?
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 05-29-2008, 02:52 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Threadstarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickles View Post
Well, under Settings, then System, there is a 'Backlight' icon.
clicking that will allow you to adjust the actual backlight setting itself (while on Battery, and on Power).
then, at the bottom, click 'Menu', then 'Power'. then click the 'Advanced' tab.
this will then bring you to the settings that manage when your device actually turns OFF the screen.. (not just dimming of the backlight, like under the 'Backlight' setting).

tinker with both of those settings.. i have my 'power' settings set to turn off after 2 mins...

hope this helps ?
Thanks, but I am not making my puzzlement clear. Your signature including the manual will help though, since I don't have one at all, and was looking for one.

To set the backlight to dim after a time delay
Tap the Backlight icon ( ) on the Today screen, or tap Start > Settings > System tab > Backlight.
2. Tap the Battery power tab, or the External power tab.
3. Select the Turn off backlight if device is not used for check box, and specify the time delay.

It says it will turn the backlight OFF, but it also says it will only dim it. The 6700 seemed to turn it completely off after backlight timeout, though still visible in bright light. Not visible in the dark.
The 6800 seems to be visible in the dark, so not really turned OFF.
I am not talking about Power OFF, just backlight OFF. The 6800 seems to dim only, not turn completely off. I was afraid something was wrong with one of mine, but it seems that this is normal.
I thought my second 6800 was turning the backlight completey off at timeout, but I think that the Power OFF and Backlight OFF timers may have been set to turn OFF at the same time, so it looked like the backlight was turning completly OFF.

Just looking for confirmation that the backlight timer only dims, but does not turn completely dark.
Old 05-29-2008, 03:21 AM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: Motorola Droid

Nickles knows their stuffNickles knows their stuffNickles knows their stuffNickles knows their stuffNickles knows their stuffNickles knows their stuffNickles knows their stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robtao View Post
Thanks, but I am not making my puzzlement clear. Your signature including the manual will help though, since I don't have one at all, and was looking for one.

To set the backlight to dim after a time delay
1. Tap the Backlight icon ( ) on the Today screen, or tap Start > Settings > System tab > Backlight.
2. Tap the Battery power tab, or the External power tab.
3. Select the Turn off backlight if device is not used for check box, and specify the time delay.

It says it will turn the backlight OFF, but it also says it will only dim it. The 6700 seemed to turn it completely off after backlight timeout, though still visible in bright light. Not visible in the dark.
The 6800 seems to be visible in the dark, so not really turned OFF.
I am not talking about Power OFF, just backlight OFF. The 6800 seems to dim only, not turn completely off. I was afraid something was wrong with one of mine, but it seems that this is normal.
I thought my second 6800 was turning the backlight completey off at timeout, but I think that the Power OFF and Backlight OFF timers may have been set to turn OFF at the same time, so it looked like the backlight was turning completly OFF.

Just looking for confirmation that the backlight timer only dims, but does not turn completely dark.
sorry for the confusion..
it's working as designed. I see what your saying.
under the 'backlight' setting, i changed mine to 10 seconds.
and all the screen did was indeed DIM....

And then under the Power settings, i have it set to turn the screen OFF after 2 minutes.. it doesn't power the system off, it just simply only turns the screen off. then i wake it back up by pressing the power button and it comes back instantly..

so thats a little misleading. it doesnt turn OFF the device, it just turns off the screen.....thats it.
So yes, i can confirm for you that the Backlight settings only DIMS the screen..

Glad i could help you with the manual.. WHY IN THE WORLD they don't offer that to customers when they buy the phone is beyond me.
i guess they expect you to find it on your own. Sink or swim.. but the manual is exactly what people need. it is incredibly detailed.
the pathetic 10 page pamphlet that comes with phone doesn't come anywhere near explaining all of the things packed inside the xv6800, or how to properly use it.

Last edited by Nickles; 05-29-2008 at 03:27 AM.
This post has been thanked 1 times.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Titan