PPCGeeks

PPCGeeks (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/index.php)
-   HTC Titan (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=44)
-   -   I hate my MOGUL!!! HELP ME PLEASE... THIS DEVICE IS GIVING ME A HEART ATTACK (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=26901)

integra144 05-18-2008 12:55 PM

I hate my MOGUL!!! HELP ME PLEASE... THIS DEVICE IS GIVING ME A HEART ATTACK

I am not a power user, I just want a phone that works. Maybe I am not doing something right, everyone I talk to seems to love there phone. Then again those people tend to be computer savy. I went to Sprint and they want me to buy another device outright. I had the 700wx (no HTML email) and I was told the Mogul had a new OS so it was better and I bought the Mogul outright for $549 and now they want me to do it again for a Blackberry Curve $600. A bit to much in a 8 month period. I need to some help as I have another 10-12 months left on this contract

I REALLY NEED HELP!!!! I CANT TAKE IT ANYMORE. I have had this phones for 4 months. I AM ABOUT TO THROW THIS PHONE IN THE TRASH... EVEN A HOMELESS WOULDNT WANT IT. HELP ME PPC GEEKS. I thought I would get used to it. NO

I also have the task manager to exit application on the X button. Sprint told me that would help make it more stable, but no luck after I went home.

The Problems I am Having.
1. Devices freezes if left on over night or just randomly. MOST ANNOYING PROBLEM
2. Text Messages get dropped after performing a soft reset because device freezes.
3. Email can only sync every 5 minutes.
4. The device becomes sluggish for not apparent reason.
5. The device spazs when turning on and off because I responds to slowly.
6. No picture SMS (Sprints Fault)

Good Things
1. Love it after a soft reset which I would still run like that 10 min later.
2. Great phone if it would work
3. GPS with Google Maps

Why am I having so many issues. I have never customized ROM or anything and I bought this phone new from Sprint. I have ROM 3.35.651.2 dates 2/22/08 Radio 3.35.04 downloaded from Sprint. Only 2 programs installed Google Maps, and RDcalc Raven Digital (used on 700wx). And 2 emails set up AOL and GMAIL. I sync with Outlook Contacts, Calender, Notes. I have done hard resets multiple times and re flashed the ROM after downloading it from HTC Audiovox site. No help and both files were identical to Sprints.

Can anyone recommended me something? I talk to people with Blackberry and they say there device doesn't even have a soft reset since it doesn't freeze. I have to use this for another 10-12 months.

All I want is to:
Sync with Outlook 2007 (Contacts, Calender, Notes, Task)
A OK Web Browser
Text and Picture Messaging
Can Open Office Files
Email.
STABILITY thats all I want. Nothing more

Thanks

sl8763 05-18-2008 01:03 PM

Re: I hate my MOGUL!!! HELP ME PLEASE... THIS DEVICE IS GIVING ME A HEART ATTACK

It really sounds as if you have a bad unit. I don't know anything about the RDcalc program, but if it's just a calculator then it shouldn't be causing any instability, and neither should Google Maps.

I would press Sprint for a replacement and see how that one goes.

spetrillo 05-18-2008 01:06 PM

Re: I hate my MOGUL!!! HELP ME PLEASE... THIS DEVICE IS GIVING ME A HEART ATTACK

Ok I know it can be a daunting task when you have to try some of the stuff here but lets take it step by step and I am sure we will get you to Nirvana!

First how was the stock Sprint ROM that came with your Mogul? Did you use it enough to know that you wanted to dip a toe into the PPCGEEK pool? Would it make sense going back to the stock ROM and using it for a week?

If you dont want to use the stock ROM I would suggest the following first steps:

1) Obtain Olipro 2.40 SPL and flash your Mogul with this. This will allow you to use customized ROMs/kitchens that are available here.

2) Obtain the 3.49 radio ROM and flash your Mogul with this. This is the latest radio and is better than the 3.35 radio in my humble opinion. I have not had any issues with it so far.

3) Once you do the above two steps you are now ready to really get into the pool. I would download the 5060 kitchen and just take the few options you indicated in your mail. I can help you build a ROM based on your input. PM me if you want to continue the kitchen dialog.

That's it,
Steve

PS - Take a deep breath and dont fret. Your Mogul is an excellent device, equipped with GPS and all. We will get you to stability!

Goddbody 05-18-2008 02:00 PM

If you flahsed the official ROM upgrade from Sprint's website it should be good to go, but the fact that your saying these functionality issues occured even with an official ROM..that sounds suspect on Sprint's part to me. I second the second post..I think you have a bad unit and when it starts acting funky again I would march to the Sprint Store where you purchased it and stake out there until a manager comes. Also I would flash the ROM until I got to the multi color bootloader screen and then take it back, because Sprint has a policy few customers know about. They can not allow you to leave the store with your phone not functioning if they have your device in stock at that particular store. Good luck.

integra144 05-18-2008 02:07 PM

So its probably the device hardware is bad?

thanks for the info Goddbody, I will try that if all else fails :)

As for the ROM which I have always used is from the Sprint Website. I have not used any other Rom the theirs.

geekwad 05-18-2008 02:09 PM

I feel your PAIN !! I am a power user and very computer literate, but tired of trying to make the Mogul work without having to soft reset daily. All the excitement I felt when I received my Mogul 5 months ago is GONE !! I feel that this is an inferior product and hope that the class action law suit against HTC goes forward real soon. I would like to be reimbursed for all the hours spent trying to make this beast work reliable. I here others on this forum who claim they have no problems. Well, perhaps they use it more for a phone than a Pocket PC. The biggest complaint I have is the lack of RAM and the ability to manage the RAM without leaking to the point that a soft reset becomes necessary. I plan to speak with Sprint about selling me an inferior product and if they cannot resolve, they will play HELL recovering a cancellation fee, when I cancel my current plan.

Enough is Enough, I want something that works !!

PropagandaX 05-18-2008 04:05 PM

Its all about the RAM. Our phone has outdated hardware for the software we are using. Its like running Vista on a Pentium 3 with 256 mb of ram....

schettj 05-18-2008 04:13 PM

I suggest a standard flip phone for trouble-free voice. Or, god help me, an iPhone if you really must have email + web on the phone. Yes, that means canceling with sprint. But if you are not computer savvy and you are trying to use a computer the size of your hand, there is just one out there that works like that.

Wait for the 3g one... about 2 weeks.

The mogul works great with a lot of careful adjustments, or a custom rom. Neither is suggested for you. Supposedly, the ROM update from Sprint due June 1st should give you most of what you need with no major tweaking on your part.

Have you ever done a rom update on the Mogul? or is it running the same ROM as when you unboxed it 8 months ago? A rom update is not that hard to do. Heck, you could probably get them to do it for you in the store, although I am not sure I would trust them to do it right.

geekwad 05-18-2008 09:00 PM

I am running on the latest Sprint ROM 3.35. The 64Mb of inadequate RAM is the main problem with the Mogul. It is an inferior product and there is not a ROM upgrade in June or any other month that is going to increase the RAM!! It is like trying to run Windows XP with 128Mb of RAM or a 56K dial-up modem instead of DSL to cruise the Internet. It just won't work.
HTC failed to do their home work or it would have a minimum of 128Mb of RAM. With the chip technology today, it could have been done. HTC obviously only field tested the Mogul as a phone and not a Pocket PC running applications that need RAM. Furthermore, HTC failed to build in a memory manager that would reclaim no longer used RAM. Instead HTC allows it to just leak away, requiring constant soft resets. If I sound angry, I am tired of messing with this piece of junk. For those of you out there that think the Mogul is the best thing since sliced bread, then make me a handsome offer to purchase my Mogul and we will both be happy. The Mogul is very attractive with GPS and other nice features, such as slick graphics capability, but it just does not and will not ever have enough horsepower to run without constant human intervention (soft resets). It is time to bite the bullet and find something else in the future that works !!!!!!!!!!!!!

PropagandaX 05-19-2008 01:58 PM

My guess is the mogul hardware was good for (wm5) the day and sprint dragged there *** so long it was outdated by the time we got it. I mean I had my 6700 FOREVER.....maybe this was meant to be the replacement sooner but Sprint didnt know how to DEAL WITH a pda phone yet.